Quantcast

Why don't more black men and women become police officers if you hate "bad" cops?

Layani

I dont care, do you?
Reaction score
Reactions
115,997 5,185 2,852
Alleybux
Alot of the points fonts are making just sound like excuses tbh. There are many industries where black people and even women in general weren't the majority, but we started to work in those fields and we were able to make changes and we were able to make people more comfortable. Imagine if women didnt join the medical field because of the sexism and racism we face. I wouldn't have the doctor I have now who makes me extremely comfortable.

Even in the military there are so many Black leaders, the commander of Fort Jackson is black and hes the one who made the decision to fire the drill Sargeant who attacked the black teen in his neighborhood. There will always be police so we either step up and choose to patrol our own neighborhoods or keep complaining online.

YaManSuckedmyToes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
160,646 3,408 3,982
Alleybux
Chile anyway

there are other ways to make change instead of taking the job. No one is saying you shouldnt(hold tight everyone, the goal post is moving) people are saying it’s stupid to think that will solve everything.

you can make change by getting involved, questioning authority, and holding people accountable. It’s a lot of work but very possible.

UGotServed

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,781 2,414 1,811
Alleybux
Ive read quite a few stories about black cops who are targeted bullied ostracized threatend and sometimes killed for trying to change the nature of the beast

And THIS is what OP not getting, There is an agenda/quota that has to be met if you want a government job. You can't just join forces with something already established and then try to change the rules. It don't work like that in the white man's world.

Layani

I dont care, do you?
Reaction score
Reactions
115,997 5,185 2,852
Alleybux
And THIS is what OP not getting, There is an agenda/quota that has to be met if you want a government job. You can't just join forces with something already established and then try to change the rules. It don't work like that in the white man's world.

You can if you get into a role of leadership, which is how we have been able to make changes before. It's like saying Obama should have never tried to become president because it's only been a white man's game.

ExquisiteMelanin

Supporting Abused women regardless of race
Reaction score
Reactions
183,750 3,098 2,605
Alleybux
OP you seem to be skipping over the responses that outline why it's a systemic issue built into the entire way policing operates, and that it's beyond individual actions from the inside. Because that's the crux of the answer. Do you have a rebuttal to that?

Which is why what Biden and his team is trying to do is even alot of things out at the FEDERAL level.
2022/2024 is right around the corner. Lets help them do just that. Diversify Government in the highest of places working down...

:flag
DEMS!

UGotServed

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,781 2,414 1,811
Alleybux
You can if you get into a role of leadership, which is how we have been able to make changes before. It's like saying Obama should have never tried to become president because it's only been a white man's game.

Nah that has nothing to with what I said. You can be a "leader" all you want, but just know the white man gone want you to be a leader especially a ring leader in the corruption they brew up from time to time.

ProhibitAcct

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,908 3,760 5,631
Alleybux
I see many groans but it's like, how else do you want to see change? I see people asking for police from the community, but many police do not live in black communities, so how does that make any sense? Black people live in those communities so should black people police them?

I honestly think an influx of more black people going into the policing profession would make sense based on the same issues I always see people bring up. And the pay isn't bad.
The only solution I see if we have black officers police black neighborhoods. But black people hate accountability, and sympathize with criminality, so black cops would be hated too.

Bad Streets

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,720 8,084 1,876
Alleybux
When I was growing up in New Orleans in the 90s, the cops were basically a criminal organization, literally. I was better off asking Glenn Metz for a job.

Even 2021, the NOPD is currently under a consent decree. What's the point?

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,883 2,253 1,262
Alleybux
Take off the "if you hate bad cops" part of your question and you may have received a better response.

It's still a good question and I'd love to see more Black police officers who could really make a difference in their communities. We saw a Black male as the Chief of the Minneapolis Police Department give crucial testimony against Derrick Chauvin so I know there are Black officers making a difference now, but we could always use more.

ShowMeDaWay

System.out.println("Go to work");
Reaction score
Reactions
28,284 641 367
Alleybux
It's a sh!tty job with a system that is extremely hard to change from the inside, as they (upper authority) are quick to muffle anyone with an opposing voice.
Also there is no saying that the moment a black office joins the team they themselves wont become corrupted over time.

Last edited:

Lassy Hia

All Ova The Spectrum
Reaction score
Reactions
8,324 366 121
Alleybux
Where I'm from, 80+% of the police force is black, even the police chief and that place is riddled with crime. Our black cops shoot and kill black people all the time, but it don't make the news because its not racist.

Where there is unchecked power, corruption is present. To me, its bigger than race. People with badges are not checked.

beastcoast

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,908 4,101 2,428
Alleybux
There have been many black people and other people with positive intentions who go into the criminal justice/police officer field naively thinking that they’ll make a positive impact and dismantle the system but then are met with the reality of corrupt higher ups and coworkers and are then targeted by those people for clearly being different than the others. It happens time and time again. I’ve seen a lot of people go into this field with high hopes of making a positive impact but it’s honestly extremely hard and not as easy as a certain demographic being hired. The entire system needs an overhaul
Yes, law enforcement and military career tracks encourage hive minded thinking. Either you conform to the status quo or they’ll push you out. Independent thought and free thinking is severely looked down upon.

First Thyme Caller

DMX's Voice
Reaction score
Reactions
126,533 2,094 483
Alleybux

The other part is that being a cop is something you should have a real passion for and understanding of the sacrifice that you have to make of yourself and your family, because its not just you on the line.

Do you really want somebody becoming a cop because it pays "60k" ? Yes people take jobs they don't really want because it pays but somebody working in fast food doesn't decide if someone lives or dies, someone working in a mail room doesn't decide if you go to jail or not it's alot of responsibility that comes with being a cop and it's not for the faint of heart.

Also if the fast food worker gets your order wrong they are held accountable or if the mail is continuously misdelivered they are held accountable.

That is the real issue accountability to your job which it seems some police haven't been, that is the issue.

Last edited:

First Thyme Caller

DMX's Voice
Reaction score
Reactions
126,533 2,094 483
Alleybux
The only solution I see if we have black officers police black neighborhoods. But black people hate accountability, and sympathize with criminality, so black cops would be hated too.

If we all really hated accountability then we wouldn't be calling out these awful cops. And I've seen a lot of calling out of criminals on this site as well as in real life. What I have seen though is that some cops lose sight of humanity when dealing with us black or white and that s the problem

nevershoutnever

Future Mrs Jogia
Reaction score
Reactions
26,971 866 174
Alleybux
This doesn't work overall. Black women are up and down hospitals in America yet we still die during childbirth at high rates and our health issues are ignored constantly. It has less to do with working at the establishment and more to do with creating a new set of standards/rules.

No one should be becoming officers thinking they'll combat inequality or because of the pay. That mentality would be long gone after the first year of working lol.

DrtyTenisBal

BaldHeadedH*^
Reaction score
Reactions
1,045 50 9
Alleybux
Where I'm from, 80+% of the police force is black, even the police chief and that place is riddled with crime. Our black cops shoot and kill black people all the time, but it don't make the news because its not racist.

Where there is unchecked power, corruption is present. To me, its bigger than race. People with badges are not checked.
I was just about to post something similar. It seems like people assume the only bad cops are the white ones but there are plenty of minorities in law enforcement who partake in the same bad behaviors as the white cops the media is exposing. There are lots of black cops who harass and arrest people from the same communities they grew up in. Most cops would rather police the community instead of protect and serve the community.

Purrr

i got love for amala
Reaction score
Reactions
94,006 2,887 1,017
Alleybux
NYC font here - I cannot speak for every Black or mixed-Black/POC cop but from what I have been told firsthand, it’s a very stressful and thankless job most times.

Contrary to what most may even think, Black and Latino cops are actually more likely to be placed in the “hood” or very high crime project areas(at least that’s how is in in NYC) as neighborhood cops. The idea behind it of course is usually that neighborhoods would receive police better if they looked like them. Nice in theory but usually does not play out like that and many of these Black/Latino offers still face a lot danger.

Then when you consider their work schedules and how crazy it is, the constant trauma you are exposed to and the relatively low pay (when first starting out) compared with the overall risk. It’s not really worth it.

hankertron

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,587 9,062 25,717
Alleybux
...because it’s systemic? There’s a lot of black cops that go in trying to be positive change for our community but the systematic issue is that black + not white ppl lives are valued less than white ppls.
Nothing is totally fair, nothing. There are very very good people in law enforcement. The truth is most people want no part in this life. No part. Everyone is not cut out for this. Few in the BC are serious candidates.

hankertron

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,587 9,062 25,717
Alleybux
NYC font here - I cannot speak for every Black or mixed-Black/POC cop but from what I have been told firsthand, it’s a very stressful and thankless job most times.

Contrary to what most may even think, Black and Latino cops are actually more likely to be placed in the “hood” or very high crime project areas(at least that’s how is in in NYC) as neighborhood cops. The idea behind it of course is usually that neighborhoods would receive police better if they looked like them. Nice in theory but usually does not play out like that and many of these Black/Latino offers still face a lot danger.

Then when you consider their work schedules and how crazy it is, the constant trauma you are exposed to and the relatively low pay (when first starting out) compared with the overall risk. It’s not really worth it.
Correct, a lot of danger. Would you or I want to arrest brothers with the colors and be told your family needs to watch it’s back for retaliation?

Most women here have no clue what’s up.

hankertron

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,587 9,062 25,717
Alleybux

Why don't more black men and women become police officers if you hate "bad" cops?

“Hate bad Cops?” Seriously? It seems clear your intentions ain’t pure, Op. Had to stop and re-read how you titled this thread.

Instead of law enforcement, maybe more Blacks should enter the field of academic research to study and document current and historical events and instances of unbridled racial violence by Whites against Blacks. Or Blacks should pursue the field of scientific research examining Whites propensity for abject violence including genetic and pathological studies to support these theories. Now this work would be far more rewarding and fascinating, not to mention, less dangerous than joining the police force. It would also highlight why Whites tend to gravitate toward this line of work as well.
Even better produce good homes for our youth. Develop better schools. Fathers raise your children. Build better communities, better wealth and go into outstanding occupations and I guarantee you this problem will mostly go away.

BarbieDream

#DOWEHAVEAPROBLEM!?
Reaction score
Reactions
116,102 9,107 13,012
Alleybux
No one wants to have this conversation. If white cops are racist then why can’t black people become officers.

One way to stop bias is to have people that look like you patrolling the communities.

The police aren’t going anywhere. Who will protect black women and kids.

30,000 black women go missing every year. Black teens are shot daily in a lot of communities. If we don’t want white police to patrol our communities then who do people suggest.

You can’t stop individual people from being racist no matter how many laws are passed or how much money is reallocated. The police will never go anywhere as long as the US stands we will have police officers.
this is true. this is why i don't understand the push back. as long as there are white cops, they will be labeled as racist, so why not police the community as a black person?? the pay isn't even bad. i believe the issue is that white cops aren't the problem, it's cops in general. we have too much crime in our communities and the cops are seen as the enemy. every job is hard and people are bullies and ostracize people but we still go in those fields.
So are you currently studying for the law enforcement entrance exams....?
nope, i don't hate police.

BarbieDream

#DOWEHAVEAPROBLEM!?
Reaction score
Reactions
116,102 9,107 13,012
Alleybux
bc OP believes there’s an anti cop agenda while pushing black on black crime, so this is their song and dance

the belief that more black people will stop police brutality is so silly. It’s like an awful disgusting layered cake. I feel for black people(who are actually trying to make a change in the police/military bc it’s hard). The way my family member was mistreated by the others(racism from coworkers) was sick.

anyway, y’all have fun answering OP...I’m sure the only right answer is the answer they’re looking for.
no, i just think this question actually made you think and it made you realize that there is no real practical solution for most, just complaining. people hate bad cops but don't wanna step up and be a cop themselves. there is no real answer. the pay is good, you police your own community, you can make a difference, but most won't. just complain.

policing is hard and dangerous and a lot admit they won't be good police officers, so then why are we mad when others aren't perfect police officers if we ourselves admit that it isn't easy and they themselves probably won't be good either?

and to the bolded, you are mistreated everywhere. corporate america is the most depressing place for us, yet we still work there and get paid a decent wage, we even go into debt for it. all the mistreatment in policing happens everyday at work for most, and we still go and we don't even really provide much value there.

i see some people in the thread actually going into the police force, which is the answer i would expect from someone who wants to actually make the change they want to see. it's crazy how a question so simple triggered you so much.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
$60k doesn’t begin to be enough for me to put my life on the line.
Police officers get a lot more money than we think. I’m sure pay gap is a thing, just like everywhere else. I wouldn’t do it because of what’s built off.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
no, i just think this question actually made you think and it made you realize that there is no real practical solution for most, just complaining. people hate bad cops but don't wanna step up and be a cop themselves. there is no real answer. the pay is good, you police your own community, you can make a difference, but most won't. just complain.

policing is hard and dangerous and a lot admit they won't be good police officers, so then why are we mad when others aren't perfect police officers if we ourselves admit that it isn't easy and they themselves probably won't be good either?

and to the bolded, you are mistreated everywhere. corporate america is the most depressing place for us, yet we still work there and get paid a decent wage, we even go into debt for it. all the mistreatment in policing happens everyday at work for most, and we still go and we don't even really provide much value there.

i see some people in the thread actually going into the police force, which is the answer i would expect from someone who wants to actually make the change they want to see. it's crazy how a question so simple triggered you so much.
No one has to be a cop. What’re you on about? You’re talking as if you’re telling deadbeat dads they need to get there sh!t together. No one of any race or background has to be a cop, if they don’t wanna be a cop.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
I've been saying this for 30 years!

It's a job, along with fire, that affords working class people a path to the middle class, along with the ability to engage and monitor our community on various levels of activity.

By us not taking these slots, especially in majority black cities, others will come in with less understanding and empathy.
Are you a cop?

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
The other part is that being a cop is something you should have a real passion for and understanding of the sacrifice that you have to make of yourself and your family, because ots not just you on the line.

Do you really want somebody becoming a cop because it pays "60k" ? Yes people take job they don't really want because it pays but somebody working in fast food doesn't decide if someone lives or dies, someone working in a mail room doesn't decide if you go to jail or not it's alot of responsibility that comes with being a cop and it's not for the faint of heart.

Also if the fast food worker gets your order wrong the are held accountable or if the mail is continuously misdelivered they are held accountable.

That is the real issue accountability to your job which it seems some police haven't been, that is the issue.
Ik there’s probably a good bit of cops out there who took the job just bc of the money. And now look at em!

BarbieDream

#DOWEHAVEAPROBLEM!?
Reaction score
Reactions
116,102 9,107 13,012
Alleybux
No one has to be a cop. What’re you on about? You’re talking as if you’re telling deadbeat dads they need to get there sh!t together. No one of any race or background has to be a cop, if they don’t wanna be a cop.
so then if we don't want to be police and serve their own community, who should then?

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
so then if we don't want to be police and serve their own community, who should then?
And which community is that? Not every Black cop that I see apart of my community or where I’m from. And not everyone of them sees it like that either.

BarbieDream

#DOWEHAVEAPROBLEM!?
Reaction score
Reactions
116,102 9,107 13,012
Alleybux
And which community is that? Not every Black cop that I see apart of my community or where I’m from. And not everyone of them sees it like that either.
this just sounds like a bunch of excuses. black people police black communities is police their own communities. it doesn't have to be john from down the block.

Lotti++

The Show is Over
Reaction score
Reactions
27,010 533 668
Alleybux
I think those that think changing a group even just 20% won’t change anything are either being ingenious or naive.

Police brutality culture is systemic, but there’s many ways to change the system and they don’t all have to be large sweeping and grand gestures. I agree with OP about the part that more black people (or at least BM) becoming cops would change things. Even if it’s very gradual and the same laws and higher ups are in charge. So you’re telling me that a single department that is now comprised of 30% black officers (not just supporting staff but them too) in a majority black neighborhood isn’t slightly better than if that number dropped to 10% or less? Others have already shared/admitted that some black officers shoot and kill us either way, but no one (INCLUDING us) don’t make a stink so sadly we’re showing how, yes, we seem to only care if the officer is non-black. I think it’s wrong either way and I bet a lot of us do too, but our cries of outrage is mainly done when the people involved aren’t the same race.

(And yes, I hardly see black pages/outlets talk about intraracial police brutality, I’m not talking about just mainstream or what BLM chose to highlight on a national/international stage).

I think ALONG WITH public decry of police brutality, yeah, encouraging folks who otherwise haven’t picked/decided on a career/job to go be a cop isn’t bad. I don’t know why people think OP is only talking about those that already know what they want and now they better change everything to be a cop. I’m sorry, but do you know how many aimless young men we have in some of these crime ridden areas. Yeah, black cops are going to face double the sh!t from inside the force and in the community (likely), but that’s anything we do. So you think having more black nurses, phlebotomists, doctors, etc. didn’t help our maternity mortality rates? It would have been the same or not worse if those same folks were non-black, like before? I don’t understand people who think the little steps hardly matter.

Again, we’re always going to have police. To think changing the force demographics won’t do a thing in the right direction, huh? People sh!t on cancel culture, but how do you think people’s personal social media even became part of the conversation when it came to them losing a job/opportunity/etc. Think 20 years ago, most would have thought you’re crazy or being dramatic if you said someone could lose their job or be blocked from something because of their FaceBook and look where we are now.

Would more black cops completely deal away with police brutality? No. Would more black cops stop other cops (non-black or otherwise) be racist? No. Would more black cops completely stop crime? No. Would black cops not face racism within their force? No. These and more related aren’t a for sure yeah, this will fix all our systemic and racial issues with police. NO. But if you think it’s not to help matters especially 5+ years from now? These as well as laws are supposed to help DETER those trigger happy ones from being as much as they are now. That’s the point. Having a black doctor isn’t going to have them magically cure all your ailments, but if you have one that understands where you’re coming from a bit more? One that knows how to deal with the other doctors and nurses? So that ain’t helping sh!t?

BarbieDream

#DOWEHAVEAPROBLEM!?
Reaction score
Reactions
116,102 9,107 13,012
Alleybux
You skipped her other question. Are you a cop?
no and im not sure why this question keeps coming up. i don't hate police, i am not a police officer. the people who are demanding change, i am asking why not go be an officer or encourage people to be one.

BigMikeHere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,591 2,249 1,807
Alleybux
Are you a cop?
Hell no, I took the exam when I got out of the military at my fathers urgings and I owned it!

Nailed the test but I never took it seriously though many of my classmates did go that route even the ones who could've done better than that.

I study history and society in general and some of the paths the non college crowd can use to access the middle class are the civil service and the trades.

The black ex jocks who should be the prime candidates for these positions for whatever reason never make the connection while their white counterparts stockpile in.