Quantcast

Why is it hard to believe that most Africans don't like animals?

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux
It's the most random sh!t ever.

Westerners, Asians, and even Middle Easterners are surprised to learn that I don't particularly care for animals. I mean, I don't hate them but I also don't have a fascination with them. I also never met an African who was as passionate about animals as Westerners.

I'm all for fighting wild animal endangerment, poaching, etc... I think they have as much right as humans to this planet. However, I don't find zoos interesting, in fact I find them rather cruel.

Growing up, the only animals I saw were cats, dogs, chickens, cows, goats, lambs, lions (at the royal palace), and fµck!ng hyaenas. And if it was up to me hyaenas would be endangered, I fµck!ng hate them. I once went on a safari tour and almost had a heart attack.

Africans and animals coexist in their own respective communities but most of us don't entertain ourselves around them. We just let them be.

#endrant

XUserX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
121,114 2,431 1,381
Alleybux
Yeah - I know maybe 3 Africans with pets - ethio fam, Nigerian Barbie girl with a lap dog, Kenyan boy obsessed with lizards... it's pretty rare.

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux
Yeah - I know maybe 3 Africans with pets - ethio fam, Nigerian Barbie girl with a lap dog, Kenyan boy obsessed with lizards... it's pretty rare.

Some people in my neighbourhood have dogs but having dogs here is completely different than in the West. The dogs are fed human left overs, they're never allowed in the house, they sleep in the outside dog house or under a tree in the yard. Meanwhile, Western dogs have fancy grooming, clothing, food, etc. :dead:

ugfrogishere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,892 561 162
Alleybux
Some people in my neighbourhood have dogs but having dogs here is completely different than in the West. The dogs are fed human left overs, they're never allowed in the house, they sleep in the outside dog house or under a tree in the yard. Meanwhile, Western dogs have fancy grooming, clothing, food, etc. :dead:

Those same brown dogs that roam and mind their own business? Nice. A family member saw some of them when she visited the Caribbean some years back.
Dogs carry fleas, so I've always thought that what you stated seems like common sense.

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux
Those same brown dogs that roam and mind their own business? Nice. A family member saw some of them when she visited the Caribbean some years back.
Dogs carry fleas, so I've always thought that what you stated seems like common sense.

Yup, usually they're brown, just roaming around the neighbourhood, aimlessly. They're also very harmless most of the time. Another interesting fact is that we don't have many different bread of dogs.

Rae

H@kimi The Deadbeat reads my posts & missed a pen
Reaction score
Reactions
147,171 3,712 562
Alleybux

Truuuuue! In my house in Yaounde, Cameroon we have 2 cats, they're there, but it's like they're not there: they have their own lives. :dead:

My white friends always wonder why I never fawn over their pets like everyone else. :highly_amused:

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux
Truuuuue! In my house in Yaounde, Cameroon we have 2 cats, they're there, but it's like they're not there: they have their own lives. :dead:

My white friends always wonder why I never fawn over their pets like everyone else. :highly_amused:

The first time I learned dogs like to be patted and ruffled is from a movie. People don't rub on dogs and cats here, we just pretend like they're not there. :dead:

miss chief

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
219,845 12,104 8,063
Alleybux
I don't think it's a hate of animals. It's just that Africans have enough sense to appreciate nature and the wild and it's understood that animals are meant to be autonomous and for the outdoors. They aren't meant to be home trained living indoors like a member of a human family. That Western mindset doesn't register with Africans. My grandmother raised chickens and had a pet cat but they lived outdoors not inside the house.

I also think in Africa most of the dogs are really big and scary watchdogs meant for outdoors. Nobody would ever think to make them live inside the house. They aren't those tiny rat-like puppies on leashes seen here. People probably wouldn't eat at your home if they saw you made your house a animal zoo.

MarleneHenri

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,413 258 116
Alleybux
That sounds like french west indians too. My dad told me one day that West indians hated dogs because slave masters used to chase runaway slaves with dogs. So the hatred carried on unto several generations.People aren't fond of animals in the West Indies too. Maybe it's a black thing ?
I must be an exception because I LOVE animals the mere thought of my dog sleeping outside alone breaks my heart.

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
69,910 5,048 5,716
Alleybux
Stop using yourself to generalise and stereotype nearly a billion Africans. Many of us like animals and have them as pets who are treated like members of the family.

[IGM]p/BPLdxz9A7bi[/IGM]

hautsauss

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
64,233 2,193 902
Alleybux
Growing up i had a lot of animals around me but they were food and dogs that are considered pets for western people were only used as guards .I feel like Africans aren't as attached to animals , cause i would see chickens , goats getting killed before we ate them, and when we would buy our meat i would be freshly killed too . Here in the west you don't witness that so when they see a chicken or cow they don't see food , but rather the animal itself . Also it's not that Africans hate animals , we just view animals differently and they have different values to us .

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux
Stop using yourself to generalise and stereotype nearly a billion Africans. Many of us like animals and have them as pets who are treated like members of the family.

If you read the title thread alone you can see that I said "Most" not all and just because you like animals yourself doesn't mean the rest of us do as well. As someone who lived in Africa almost all my life and have traveled to several countries within the continent, this is my observation.

As you can see, the Africans on lsa agree as well.

"treat them like family" if that isn't some Western nonsense!

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
69,910 5,048 5,716
Alleybux
If you read the title thread alone you can see that I said "Most" not all and just because you like animals yourself doesn't mean the rest of us do as well. As someone who lived in Africa almost all my life and have traveled to several countries within the continent, this is my observation.

As you can see, the Africans on lsa agree as well.

"treat them like family" if that isn't some Western nonsense!

Again, stop stereotyping. A lot of Africans have pets so your 'most' disclaimer is not accurate.

Gemini G.O.A.T.

The Many Faced God
Reaction score
Reactions
14,064 212 30
Alleybux
LOL! no lies told! my parents looked at me cross-eyed every time i begged them if i could get a puppy. there is often superstitions involved. :rotfl:However, overall i don't think they click with the whole idea of taking an animal that could survive in in natural environment and not only bring it into your home, but paying for it's food and care. the dogs in most African villages/towns are the basenji-dog which are an ancient breed. basenji's are less domesticated, less aiming to please humans than the pet dogs in the west, and consequently have higher viability in the wild which is probably why to some African parent's having a pet dog that sleeps in your bed, has expensive vet visits, and is pampered like a child is inconceivable.

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
69,910 5,048 5,716
Alleybux
This thread isn't even about having pet you dolt. Piss off already!

Angry and sensitive because your ignorant view of Africans has been uncovered? Oh well, don't post if you don't want people to disagree with you.

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2014-08-29-why-getting-a-pet-in-africa-is-a-matter-of-national-service

Nigeria dog magazine, Kenya pet spa
In Nigeria the love of dogs is evident - the country even has an upmarket magazine for dog-lovers. But Nigerians aren’t after just any dog - they are a status symbol so there is an obsession with dog breeds and dog breeders are vying for clients, selling pure breeds of an incredible variety of different imported species such as the Boerboel, Rottweiler, Lhasa Apso, Alsatian, Bullmastiff, British Bulldog and Labrador. They are not cheap - a bullmastiff puppy can go for up to $1,000.
Ghana is another country that clearly loves dogs and, like Nigeria, there is a lucrative dog-breeding industry. It is home to the West African Kennel Club, has a website dedicated to the country’s pets and even has a national pet show every year aimed at whipping up the interest, awareness creation and the consciousness of the public in pet care and bringing to the fore the potentials of the pet industry.
In Kenya dog owners love their furry friends so much that a market for a pet spa developed. The “Very Impawtant Pets Spa” offers clients a variety of treatments - such as show cuts, anal gland expressing and teeth brushing statistics. But this is not the only industry making money off pets - the US Department of Agriculture Foreign Agricultural Service reports that Kenya’s small pet food market has grown 27% from 2006-2010. The report stated that Kenya’s pet food imports totalled about US$960,000 in 2010.
So while man’s best friend can bring many benefits into a person’s life, the economic benefits are clearly there too - getting a pet is not just a personal service, if the country is able to develop the relevant industries surrounding pets, it can be a national service too. Zuma will be dismayed.

XUserX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
121,114 2,431 1,381
Alleybux
They got preventative medication for that though

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux

delicious11

Na me sabi!
Reaction score
Reactions
69,910 5,048 5,716
Alleybux
:dead:

You're telling me not to generalize the whole Africa but want to generalize the entire continent based on what goes on in one country? Please sir, go play with your pet family member.

One country? So you did not see Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya mentioned in the article above? Ok o.

HollySmith94

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,691 1,321 60
Alleybux
The first time I learned dogs like to be patted and ruffled is from a movie. People don't rub on dogs and cats here, we just pretend like they're not there. :dead:

This is so true, back home, my grandparents had a Rottweiler but he was strictly a guard dog and did not interact with people like that at all

Mielle

Sleepy
Reaction score
Reactions
7,904 92 38
Alleybux
Again, stop stereotyping. A lot of Africans have pets so your 'most' disclaimer is not accurate.

That's LSA statisticians for you :highly_amused:

My grandparents have farms back in Africa - and no, they don't only consider their cattle like food/a source of revenue.
Actually, cows are almost sacred in my ethnic group. I still remember the care my grandma would put into feeding orphaned lambs.
And even in the capital of my home-country, we have a family friend who's taken a liking to bird. I'm still mad at my parents for giving the parrot he gifted us away :e4_25:
Oh, and there's this Ivorian girl in my class who has a turtle.

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
A lot of Black people (especially in the South or with land) do this too. The animals are used for hunting or guard dogs, but they live outside. Ironically, I think dogs are useful for people who are elderly, disabled or who have mental/emotional problems. For SOME people their dog seems to calm them down. My baby daddy grew up on a working cattle ranch, so he loves animals and they're all over their ranch. But the way my allergies are set up...

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
That's LSA statisticians for you :highly_amused:

My grandparents have farms back in Africa, and no they don't only consider their cattle like food/a source of revenue.
Actually, cows are almost sacred in my ethnic group. I still remember the care my grandma would put in feeding orphaned lambs.
And even in the capital of my home-country, we have a family friend who's taken a liking to bird. I'm still mad at my parents for giving the parrot he gifted us way :e4_25:
Oh, and there's this Ivorian girl in my class who has a turtle.

I always thought that African countries had the best balance between humans and animals (not including the colonial sh!t), whereas they peacefully coexisted in a good balance. You've got to be boss AF to live in proximity to lions and hyenas. The way my nerves are set up... 😳😳😳 Of course, it's a stereotype based on seeing things from thousands of miles away: like the Kenyans caring for baby elephants, the Ethiopian kings with lions, the Nigerians with the hyenas. That's some God given NEXT LEVEL stuff to me. I'm in awe. I generally have a positive bias towards Africa. I used to have the Africa channel and the images and footage were pretty breathtaking.

http://theafricachannel.com/

My positive stereotypes were formed from either listening to people from Africa or watching video from Africans themselves. I know the media is on some bµllsh!t, I don't believe the media depiction of Africa at all.

I used to have vivid dreams of Africa... like super tall ass skyscrapers in bustling cities.

I always thought Africans had BEEN living in harmony with the environment and any pollution was from outsiders.

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,197 7,406 6,517
Alleybux
A font was on here talking about how unlike AAs :)disdain:) Africans have a "special relationship" with animals and nature :dead: she could not understand why i had a problem with that statement

Let me find that post.....

Reaction score
Reactions
888 13
Alleybux
At a previous job, I was helping to host a group from a particular Sub-Saharan African country. At the time I was living in a city full of White, childless people with too much disposable income to have enough sense (the locals would pay a premium for the most frivolous shyt like basic cinnamon toast) and they LOVED their dogs. You could stroll into Starbucks or a fancy department store and it seemed like someone always had to bring their dogs. Anyways, the group I was hosting was talking about how weird it was and how back in their country for most people (emphasis on the "most") who owned pets the animals were just there or provided some sort of practical work use. They found the idea of special dog food, dog daycare, and dog spas to be bizarre af. And fluffy normally lived outside. I ended up visiting their country because I now have family from there, and noticed the same thing. Actually, one of my little relatives has a cat that she considers her pet, but it's usually just...there. I don't think it even has an official name.

I've actually noticed the same thing with a lot of Black Americans I know who have pets. It seems like half take the "I'm going to spoil my pet or at least treat it like a member of the family" approach and the other half leave them outside (unless it's too cold) and feed them mainly table scraps. Either way I think most Black people period don't have the weird fascination with pets like a lot of our lesser pigmented friends do (like letting fluffy lick them in the face or kiss them).

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
Same for lots of Caribbeans. It's not about liking or disliking, really. It's just that we have a different relationship with them. We tend not to view them as domestic animals that are meant to keep humans company. Dogs also sleep outside and are fed leftovers. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. There are some middle class/wealthy people who view pet ownership as a status symbol.

My sister got a dog a year ago and my Mother can't stand it. She says it's white people stuff, lol. She has to lock it in a room when my mother is over and the dog is not allowed at my mother's house under any circumstances. I clown my sis on her dog all the time (having to walk him twice a day, having to rush back home at a certain time to make sure he doesn't piss on the floor (lol) buying him pet food, paying to put her in a pet boarding house whenever she has to travel for work or when she needs to visit my mother for extended periods of time...

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,117 1,563 105
Alleybux
Growing up our dogs stayed outside. If I saw a chicken or rabbit in the backyard I assumed it was for dinner. That was about it.

The expats had dogs for pets so my dad started a business of bringing chihuahuas from the U.S. and selling them to expats for profit. We also bred and sold turkeys to Americans in November for their thanksgiving dinners.

Lakay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,369 600 41
Alleybux
My mom used to say to us in creole: " You're already a dog, and you want a dog" lol

pullme

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,759 4,840 1,459
Alleybux
We actually had a cat when I was little for almost a year. We used to leave him in the hallway and take him out once in a while.

One time, he shitted on the kitchen floor instead of his usual spot and my sister took him outside. That was the last time we saw him alive 😩😩😭😭

apparently he had crawled through a small hole into the next compound, the neighbors thought he was a "witch" and they killed him.😭😭😭 I felt really bad tho, I was mad at my sister for a while. I actually liked him, he even had a name and his own bed.

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,197 7,406 6,517
Alleybux
A font was on here talking about how unlike AAs :)disdain:) Africans have a "special relationship" with animals and nature :dead: she could not understand why i had a problem with that statement

Let me find that post.....
This chick wasn't event talking about pets or domestic animals she was talking about African's and their connection to WILDLIFE :dead: I forgot about that part.

i never knew that africans were offended by the depiction that they cared for the beautiful and majestic animals that are native to africa. i can only speak for myself, but i never viewed africans love and connection to wild life as negative..
@Kalashnikov is this what your thread is about or nah

OluZ

Go Getter
Reaction score
Reactions
29,600 817 1,079
Alleybux
I agree. Most Africans don't have inside pets... it's unhygienic and unnecessary.

Kabibi

Angolan Barbie
Reaction score
Reactions
8,533 437 220
Alleybux
This!! just because OP and her people are like that doesnt mean it's the same for the rest of africa. I know many angolan pet owners. Even in my family we have and always had many dear pets. My mum still talks about the ones that are already dead. What i hate more than white people generalising africans, is africans generalising africans.

MarysJoint

Keepin It Classy
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
75,160 1,512 2,942
Alleybux
This chick wasn't event talking about pets or domestic animals she was talking about African's and their connection to WILDLIFE :dead: I forgot about that part.

@Kalashnikov is this what your thread is about or nah
do me a favor, chick? don't quote and try to misconstrue what i said to make whatever stupid point you're trying to make. i explained what i meant to kalashnikov in the thread. u need something to be offended and outraged about? find another target because i'm not the one. k thanks byyyyeeeeee

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
At a previous job, I was helping to host a group from a particular Sub-Saharan African country. At the time I was living in a city full of White, childless people with too much disposable income to have enough sense (the locals would pay a premium for the most frivolous shyt like basic cinnamon toast) and they LOVED their dogs. You could stroll into Starbucks or a fancy department store and it seemed like someone always had to bring their dogs. Anyways, the group I was hosting was talking about how weird it was and how back in their country for most people (emphasis on the "most") who owned pets the animals were just there or provided some sort of practical work use. They found the idea of special dog food, dog daycare, and dog spas to be bizarre af. And fluffy normally lived outside. I ended up visiting their country because I now have family from there, and noticed the same thing. Actually, one of my little relatives has a cat that she considers her pet, but it's usually just...there. I don't think it even has an official name.

I've actually noticed the same thing with a lot of Black Americans I know who have pets. It seems like half take the "I'm going to spoil my pet or at least treat it like a member of the family" approach and the other half leave them outside (unless it's too cold) and feed them mainly table scraps. Either way I think most Black people period don't have the weird fascination with pets like a lot of our lesser pigmented friends do (like letting fluffy lick them in the face or kiss them).

It isn't hard to believe at all. Most black I know no matter where they're from don't like animals. I think AA's are the most open to them but still aren't adamant about having any. They still want me to lock my dog up when they come over :dead:

To the bolded, I don't see the point of leaving a dog outside. It's weird to me, one of my best friend's has Pitts and they stay chained up on the porch. My uncle is the same way with his dogs. Why have a dog if they're going to be chained up their whole life?

I don't think most black people value animals. I remember when I visited the Bahamas and they were pushing the dogs off cliffs :dead:

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
This!! just because OP and her people are like that doesnt mean it's the same for the rest of africa. I know many angolan pet owners. Even in my family we have and always had many dear pets. My mum still talks about the ones that are already dead. What i hate more than white people generalising africans, is africans generalising africans.

Some generalizations have a degree of truth to it, though. I dont like Op but I can recognize the truth in what she's saying in this instance. Most of the Africans I've met seem to have a similar outlook on pet ownership than most Caribbeans, frankly. I remember having a similar conversation with an ex-boyfriend a long time ago and we laughed at the similarity there.

I know that for some Caribbeans, pet ownership becomes more prevalent the higher the social class they belong to. It's usually a status symbol thing, akin to showing off their designer clothes and emulating Western society, lol (and even then, plenty still do not adhere to the idea of treating animals as human companions). Sometimes those in rural areas who grew up on farms may exhibit some affinity with pets though. But even there, that is not the norm, I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurred with a lot of Africans.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
It isn't hard to believe at all. Most black I know no matter where they're from don't like animals. I think AA's are the most open to them but still aren't adamant about having any. They still want me to lock my dog up when they come over :dead:

To the bolded, I don't see the point of leaving a dog outside. It's weird to me, one of my best friend's has Pitts and they stay chained up on the porch. My uncle is the same way with his dogs. Why have a dog if they're going to be chained up their whole life?

I don't think most black people value animals. I remember when I visited the Bahamas and they were pushing the dogs off cliffs :dead:

Damn. That's a bit much. Where those dogs feral? Perhaps there was an issue with dogs roaming about and creating havoc...

I don't know why anyone would get pitbulls as pets, though. Frankly, I think it was probably a good thing that they stay chained up...

YANAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,845 2,130 227
Alleybux
Damn. That's a bit much. Where those dogs feral? Perhaps there was an issue with dogs roaming about and creating havoc...

I don't know why anyone would get pitbulls as pets, though. Frankly, I think it was probably a good thing that they stay chained up...

I have no idea why but I was like WTF?! I wish they found a better way to get rid of them though. That's a painful death!

Oh, I agree about not having a pit but why get it in the first place to keep it chained ?! That makes no sense to get a dog that you or live in family members are scared of & for good reason. I've noticed dog owners of bully breeds are usually not doing what they should to protect themselves, others, and the dog. A certain class of people have these types of dogs. They think it's cool to have a bully breed but don't take any proper precautions. I've seen pits break chains and jump fences, one as a pet is a huge NO!

I remember my dad brought home a German Shepherd/Rottweiler, my mom made him get rid of it! I like dogs but I'd NEVER get an aggressive breed or a big dog. I've been spoiled by my dog. She's small, calm, and lazy. I probably won't get another one after she goes (she's 16) because they cost a lot of money!

Kalashnikov

SuperStraight
Reaction score
Reactions
218,868 7,022 5,386
Alleybux

Excuse me but this thread isn't even about having pets. If you read through it you'll see some of us mentioning pets but the point of the thread was that I've never met an African who has ever felt the need to feed a Giraffe or a baby lion with a baby bottle or innately connect with random wild animal. That's something white Westerners tend to do, most Africans have no desire to disturb the natural habitat of the wilderness. That is not something I've seen or heard in several countries I've visited.

I never said all Africans are alike so you snowflakes can relax, really.