Quantcast

Why is it hard to believe that most Africans don't like animals?

TREEEZY

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,619 430 315
Alleybux
It's because westerners (whites) trust animals more than they trust each other. Their pets, especially dogs, are seen as loyal and unconditionally loving entities whereas their fellow human-being isnt.

And considering their gruesome and violent history, it's not hard to see why they would literally put more faith in an animal over themselves.

Lakay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,369 600 41
Alleybux
Some generalizations have a degree of truth to it, though. I dont like Op but I can recognize the truth in what she's saying in this instance. Most of the Africans I've met seem to have a similar outlook on pet ownership than most Caribbeans, frankly. I remember having a similar conversation with an ex-boyfriend a long time ago and we laughed at the similarity there.

I know that for some Caribbeans, pet ownership becomes more prevalent the higher the social class they belong to. It's usually a status symbol thing, akin to showing off their designer clothes and emulating Western society, lol (and even then, plenty still do not adhere to the idea of treating animals as human companions). Sometimes those in rural areas who grew up on farms may exhibit some affinity with pets though. But even there, that is not the norm, I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurred with a lot of Africans.

I once asked my mom about it, it's all about give care to the animals lol. In Haiti you have a dog, a large fields so you give them whatever to eat and let them run on your property. In North America you need to go to the vet, you have a strict schedule, heck their food cost sometime more than human food... this is too much too handle lol.

yung.bae

♡♡♡
Reaction score
Reactions
239,805 8,270 1,121
Alleybux
OP I get exactly what you're saying. Generally in most, if not all African countries, animals are not treated as children or extensions of a person like in the Western hemisphere.

These snowflakes need to go makeout with their dogs and cats, damn.

Oversabi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,146 161 50
Alleybux
Your observation is pretty spot on, well at least from what I have witnessed. Growing up in Nigeria, the animals resided outside(this might have a lot to do with cultural superstitions, belief, e.t.c). My aunt even had a lamb back in her village(It was a wedding gift from her husband, it has something to do with culture) and every time we visited her lamb and its multiple offspring were always outside roaming about(A lot of the lambs got stolen, and probably became someones meal). People owned guard dog type dogs, not "omg cute" dog type. My grandma HATED cats, she believed they're witches and are diabolic.

Oh and also you will be surprise at how many Africans are actually scared of animals, most of my friends are( their reaction when they see an animal is very comical. :highly_amused:).

XUserX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
121,114 2,431 1,381
Alleybux
I'm AA growing up I couldn't get a dog to save my life, the official reason was they were too dirty and who was gonna take care of it and that it was wypipo nonsense. I think it was really that my parents didn't t have any extra money to care a pet.

now we have a whole lot of everything running through the house and we made that decision to teach the kids responsibility, respect and empathy for things dependent on them and organization.

the dogs stay off the furniture (at least when I'm around) and stay mostly in the kids areas.

They get a cooked meal once a day and we groom them ourselves except for special occasions.

I do think wypipo like to be master over something and that it contributes to their pet obsession. I seen some benefit to my kids from dog and horse training though so :33:

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
I'm AA growing up I couldn't get a dog to save my life, the official reason was they were too dirty and who was gonna take care of it and that it was wypipo nonsense. I think it was really that my parents didn't t have any extra money to care a pet.

now we have a whole lot of everything running through the house and we made that decision to teach the kids responsibility, respect and empathy for things dependent on them and organization.

the dogs stay off the furniture (at least when I'm around) and stay mostly in the kids areas.

They get a cooked meal once a day and we groom them ourselves except for special occasions.

I do think wypipo like to be master over something and that it contributes to their pet obsession. I seen some benefit to my kids from dog and horse training though so :33:

Same here. I remember when we were kids, we begged our parents to let us have a dog. My mom was dead set against it. She said there's no way she was gonna let an animal come in and dirty up her furniture, lol. Now that I'm grown, I must say that I have no desire for one. My sister loves hers, though.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
i love animals but not in my house.

All our animals are outside the house.

I love animals. The only reason I'm hesitant taking a pet is you don't have the guaranty it will be smart enough to be housebroken or tell you when it wants to be let out. The people who have a dog that lets them know they need to do their business are lucky.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
I always thought that African countries had the best balance between humans and animals (not including the colonial sh!t), whereas they peacefully coexisted in a good balance. You've got to be boss AF to live in proximity to lions and hyenas. The way my nerves are set up... ������ Of course, it's a stereotype based on seeing things from thousands of miles away: like the Kenyans caring for baby elephants, the Ethiopian kings with lions, the Nigerians with the hyenas. That's some God given NEXT LEVEL stuff to me. I'm in awe. I generally have a positive bias towards Africa. I used to have the Africa channel and the images and footage were pretty breathtaking.

http://theafricachannel.com/

My positive stereotypes were formed from either listening to people from Africa or watching video from Africans themselves. I know the media is on some bµllsh!t, I don't believe the media depiction of Africa at all.

I used to have vivid dreams of Africa... like super tall ass skyscrapers in bustling cities.

I always thought Africans had BEEN living in harmony with the environment and any pollution was from outsiders.

Africa had great balance untill white people introduced: GUNS and CONSUMERISM. There is only so many animals you can kill with your own energy and spear/bow and arrows. I don't think obesity even existed in Africa prior to European investation.

Consumerism has ruined most of Africa with the pollution it brings with it. Sadly there are many places in Africa where there is no waste control. People from Cameroon, Ghana or Nigeria will know what I'm talking about. Beautifull small rivers filled with garbage or heaps of thrash just piled up somewhere.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
We actually had a cat when I was little for almost a year. We used to leave him in the hallway and take him out once in a while.

One time, he shitted on the kitchen floor instead of his usual spot and my sister took him outside. That was the last time we saw him alive 😩😩😭😭

apparently he had crawled through a small hole into the next compound, the neighbors thought he was a "witch" and they killed him.😭😭😭 I felt really bad tho, I was mad at my sister for a while. I actually liked him, he even had a name and his own bed.

Oh you had 'those'kind of neighbours. I have an uncle who thinks mentally disabled people are 'witches' or 'possesed' or 'the devil'. I can't stand those kind of people, making other Africans look like superstious people.

I saw a documentary about a Nigerian man taking care of orphans. One of the recent orphans was harassed by his community for being a 'witch' mind you if I had to guess the little boy was I think 3 to 4 years of age looking at him.

When he asked his community why they thought that little was a which they couldn't answer. I think it's maybe still on YouTube.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
I have no idea why but I was like WTF?! I wish they found a better way to get rid of them though. That's a painful death!

Oh, I agree about not having a pit but why get it in the first place to keep it chained ?! That makes no sense to get a dog that you or live in family members are scared of & for good reason. I've noticed dog owners of bully breeds are usually not doing what they should to protect themselves, others, and the dog. A certain class of people have these types of dogs. They think it's cool to have a bully breed but don't take any proper precautions. I've seen pits break chains and jump fences, one as a pet is a huge NO!

I remember my dad brought home a German Shepherd/Rottweiler, my mom made him get rid of it! I like dogs but I'd NEVER get an aggressive breed or a big dog. I've been spoiled by my dog. She's small, calm, and lazy. I probably won't get another one after she goes (she's 16) because they cost a lot of money!

I like dogs and maybe I'll get one in the future. But my rule of thumb will be this: Never get a dog/breed that is near your weight or is known for mental issues. If I get a dog the maximum weight it will be is 20KG tops. You don't a big dog for protection if it has teeth and is quick and agile you're good.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux

Wow the whole master thing makes sense. never thought of it in that way. Here in the Netherlands many male teachers in pre-schools are still called 'master'.

awissa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,937 7,986 896
Alleybux
It's not that I don't like animals but they kinda scare me , I guess because they don't talk and you can't be exactly sure what they are thinks or wants. I do like looking at them but not so much interacting

pullme

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,759 4,840 1,459
Alleybux
Oh you had 'those'kind of neighbours. I have an uncle who thinks mentally disabled people are 'witches' or 'possesed' or 'the devil'. I can't stand those kind of people, making other Africans look like superstious people.

I saw a documentary about a Nigerian man taking care of orphans. One of the recent orphans was harassed by his community for being a 'witch' mind you if I had to guess the little boy was I think 3 to 4 years of age looking at him.

When he asked his community why they thought that little was a which they couldn't answer. I think it's maybe still on YouTube.

The ignorance within some communities in Nigeria is disheartening.

The worse part is these ignorant beliefs are enforced by religion. I'm religious but I still can't deny the fact that religion has definitely done more harm than good to Africans. People look up to pastors like they are God and listen to all the bµllsh!t they spew. There is a female pastor in Nigeria who makes movies about children being possessed. They've even gone as far as saying if a child cries too much they are probably witches.

Many people have abandoned their innocent children due to this bµllsh!t.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
Growing up i had a lot of animals around me but they were food and dogs that are considered pets for western people were only used as guards .I feel like Africans aren't as attached to animals , cause i would see chickens , goats getting killed before we ate them, and when we would buy our meat i would be freshly killed too . Here in the west you don't witness that so when they see a chicken or cow they don't see food , but rather the animal itself . Also it's not that Africans hate animals , we just view animals differently and they have different values to us .

It depends on which region. I know in my country bats are considered evil eventhough only South America has bloodsucking bats. The ones in our country only eat fruits and insects.

I remember being 14 at my grandmothers farm a bat got lost in her house. They caught it but instead releasing it they burned it can't remember why though.

Also sadly yes even in Africa people abuse animals just out of ignorance or just because they can. I remember seeing a picture of children throwing stones at a baby owl fallen out of it's nest because their parents told them owls are witches. Sigh for the West Africans under us is there any animal that isn't a witch or a devil?

Also I have a half-cousin(We share the same grandmother but not grandfather) who likes to abuse or kill small animals (Really need to keep my eye on him many white serial killers start this way).

I also have an 'uncle' ( I do not know what this guy's relationship is to my family) who once beat my grandmother's dog just for the fun it. Yeah I got some messed up people in my family.

Flareo

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69 12 9
Alleybux
The ignorance within some communities in Nigeria is disheartening.

The worse part is these ignorant beliefs are enforced by religion. I'm religious but I still can't deny the fact that religion has definitely done more harm than good to Africans. People look up to pastors like they are God and listen to all the bµllsh!t they spew. There is a female pastor in Nigeria who makes movies about children being possessed. They've even gone as far as saying if a child cries too much they are probably witches.

Many people have abandoned their innocent children due to this bµllsh!t.

Mmm ok. I did not knew that was so common. Most of those orphans had parents that dief of certain illnesses didn't many were also abandoned for being witches.

pullme

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,759 4,840 1,459
Alleybux
Mmm ok. I did not knew that was so common. Most of those orphans had parents that died of certain illnesses didn't many were also abandoned for being witches.

Its not very common except you go into rural areas. Yes children do get abandoned by their parents or get blamed for being the cause of their parent's deaths, all out of ignorance.