Why is the film world so pretentious?

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
**LONG READ**

I love movies and film a lot but I feel like it’s easy for me to grow out of my love for movies due to how pretentious the film world can be. I hate those IG pages like “Filmthusiast.” They post all these basic ass films and u have people in the comments gawking like it’s the best thing they’ve seen in their lives. I feel like some films should be fun and not taken too seriously. They’re here for our entertainment and should be left at that.

I feel like cinema fans can be hella ignorant and pretentious asf to the point where it just comes off as corny too. Thinking that Leo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street should’ve gotten an Oscar when all DiCaprio does is look like he’s on coke and screams the entire time. Or even Christopher Nolan who seems to be hella repetitive (especially in Tenet) with his skills in filmmaking. That’s why I appreciate filmmakers like Tarantino (with the exception of his latest film). As problematic as he is, Tarantino seems humble when you look at the inspiration for his films. Huge fan of Black Exploitation, Chick Flicks, etc.

Film has always been a pretentious mess but nowadays it’s even worse. Everyone tryna be all fake artsy and sh!t. Films always wanna have a blatant message in it. Not even clever with it. Jordan Peele’s films make me roll my eyes so hard. Why do u wanna include racism in every horror movie u do? I understand some racism in your film but to make your entire film based solely on racism?? And thanks to Peele we have disastrous Lena Waithe tryna copy his sh!t which just leads into more disaster. sh!t is corny and weak asf imo. What do y’all think?

GreenEyedDevil

Hairy Lesbian
Reaction score
Reactions
266,534 12,269 4,624
Alleybux
What field doesn't have pretensious people?

Artsy pretensious people don't get laid and need to have something to feel good about, it's no different than anyone else.

banksy212

Triggering fonts like fleas on a Cl*t,
Reaction score
Reactions
99,387 6,185 2,313
Alleybux
**LONG READ**

I love movies and film a lot but I feel like it’s easy for me to grow out of my love for movies due to how pretentious the film world can be. I hate those IG pages like “Filmthusiast.” They post all these basic ass films and u have people in the comments gawking like it’s the best thing they’ve seen in their lives. I feel like some films should be fun and not taken too seriously. They’re here for our entertainment and should be left at that.

I feel like cinema fans can be hella ignorant and pretentious asf to the point where it just comes off as corny too. Thinking that Leo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street should’ve gotten an Oscar when all DiCaprio does is look like he’s on coke and screams the entire time. Or even Christopher Nolan who seems to be hella repetitive (especially in Tenet) with his skills in filmmaking. That’s why I appreciate filmmakers like Tarantino (with the exception of his latest film). As problematic as he is, Tarantino seems humble when you look at the inspiration for his films. Huge fan of Black Exploitation, Chick Flicks, etc.

Film has always been a pretentious mess but nowadays it’s even worse. Everyone tryna be all fake artsy and sh!t. Films always wanna have a blatant message in it. Not even clever with it. Jordan Peele’s films make me roll my eyes so hard. Why do u wanna include racism in every horror movie u do? I understand some racism in your film but to make your entire film based solely on racism?? And thanks to Peele we have disastrous Lena Waithe tryna copy his sh!t which just leads into more disaster. sh!t is corny and weak asf imo. What do y’all think?
Indie is where it is at, specifically foreign indie and to a certain extent foreign mainstream films.

I find movies in general nowadays to be extremely lacking, they are either boring, too political or avenger 53939 sequel.

interesting how comedy died in the 2010s

Last edited:

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Because theres a lot of snobby gatekeepers in the film industry who take the art v seriously, which isn't a bad thing tbh.... look at what happened to mainstream music now all the gate keepers are gone.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
What field doesn't have pretensious people?

Artsy pretensious people don't get laid and need to have something to feel good about, it's no different than anyone else.
Every field has pretentious people but the fact that film is pretentious when it’s just a tool for entertainment is weird. If a surgeon or a doctor is pretentious I can understand. But for film to be hyped up into something beyond what it is, is weird imo. I think entitlement goes along with this as well.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
Because theres a lot of gatekeepers in the film industry who take the art v seriously, which isn't a bad thing tbh.... look at what happened to the music industry now all the gate keepers are gone
Taking an art seriously and being pretentious r two completely different things imo. There’s people who take their art seriously and at the same time don’t think they’re the best thing that has happened since sliced bread. There are people who are pretentious but don’t even take their art seriously. I think I see a lot of those examples in the industry nowadays.

reyals

virgo
Reaction score
Reactions
271,777 9,547 3,539
Alleybux
i've noticed in the last 20 years that the diversity in films has drastically decreased. thinking back to early 00's we had so much more diversity in film. you had really cheesy but aesthetically fun teen movies, historical epics, different comedic movies (late night, raunchy, action, etc), fun kids movies, so many horror films! i could go on and on.

now, movie studios are all consolidated and only interested in doing remakes/reboots, sequels, or comic stuff. they want to make money and they don't care about investing in good story ideas that may not attract a massive audience. so i feel like every movie that looks like it has a budget, good actors and bts talent associated with it, get's hyped up so much since there's a lack of diversity in the types of films getting mainstream attention.

there's still stuff being made that's more low-key and fun to watch (love and monsters on netflix was a fun watch) or some really great art house/indie films that are memorable. unfortunately, you need to look a bit harder to find that stuff because it doesn't trend like the 5 million boring action thrillers on netflix do.

Last edited:

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
**LONG READ**

Just sit back and enjoy the movies.

You’re more than welcome to watch terrible films such as the Friday the 13th franchise if acclaimed cinema puts you off.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux

You’re more than welcome to watch terrible films such as the Friday the 13th franchise if acclaimed cinema puts you off.
Ok but see? This is the pretentiousness I’m talking about. I’m sure if Peele directed the next Friday the 13th you would be all on that shiiiii just because it’s Peele. The exact pretentiousness I’m talking bout lmao.

Gill Holroyd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,236 2,774 1,324
Alleybux
Those IG pages are fake film enthusiasts because they rarely showcase non-mainstream indie films that don’t get nominated or acclaim. Also have you noticed when they do compilations of the best scenes or best xyz, they rarely include black or POC talent? They rarely feature Denzel’s work but have a hard on for the typical ones or the “underdogs” (Rob Patterson)

I remember one of them made a best directors one and even the white people were like, “Where’s Spike, where’s John Singleton” The page creator said this is my opinion, to which they said your opinion sucks lmaoo

It gets me thinkibg that a lot of these white people aren’t fans of us outside of a handful, even though our talent is just aa good if not better smh

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux

And look at most of these people who “acclaim” the cinema. Liberal white folks who are set in having an agenda. Should we really care at the end of the day what Suzie White who got her undergrad Film Degree studying outdated film at Juilliard thinks about a movie?

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
Those IG pages are fake film enthusiasts because they rarely showcase non-mainstream indie films that don’t get nominated or acclaim. Also have you noticed when they do compilations of the best scenes or best xyz, they rarely include black or POC talent? They rarely feature Denzel’s work but have a hard on for the typical ones or the “underdogs” (Rob Patterson)

I remember one of them made a best directors one and even the white people were like, “Where’s Spike, where’s John Singleton” The page creator said this is my opinion, to which they said your opinion sucks lmaoo

It gets me thinkibg that a lot of these white people aren’t fans of us outside of a handful, even though our talent is just aa good if not better smh
Yes to all this. Most of these film heads are forgetting that there are ton of brilliant film showcasing POC outside of the mainstream Hollywood bull. And I’m sure a lot of these mainstream white directors borrow ideas from these POC creators. Tarantino worked with Spike Lee and I’m sure they have shared ideas in the past.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
i've noticed in the last 20 years that the diversity in films has drastically decreased. thinking back to early 00's we had so much more diversity in film. you had really cheesy but aesthetically fun teen movies, historical epics, different comedic movies (late night, raunchy, action, etc), fun kids movies, so many horror films! i could go on and on.

now, movie studios are all consolidated and only interested in doing remakes/reboots, sequels, or comic stuff. they want to make money and they don't care about investing in good story ideas that may not attract a massive audience. so i feel like every movie that looks like it has a budget, good actors and bts talent associated with it, get's hyped up so much since there's a lack of diversity in the types of films getting mainstream attention.

there's still stuff being made that's more low-key and fun to watch (love and monsters on netflix was a fun watch) or some really great art house/indie films that are memorable. unfortunately, you need to look a bit harder to find that stuff because it doesn't trend like the 5 million boring action thrillers on netflix do.
Great reply love this!

DottieHinkle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
483,210 19,225 18,726
Alleybux
Ok but see? This is the pretentiousness I’m talking about. I’m sure if Peele directed the next Friday the 13th you would be all on that shiiiii just because it’s Peele. The exact pretentiousness I’m talking bout lmao.

Thats not being pretentious. Jordan Peele has credibility, so people are likely to give him the benefit of the doubt in situations that they would normally be skeptical. I mean, what do you think the point of a Résumé is? Sounds like you’re having trouble articulating your points. Should have kept this in the drafts.

DottieHinkle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
483,210 19,225 18,726
Alleybux

John Singleton? Why would anyone include him in any Best Directors list? I enjoy some of his stuff but come the fµck on.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
Thats not being pretentious. Jordan Peele has credibility, so people are likely to give him the benefit of the doubt in situations that they would normally be skeptical. I mean, what do you think the point of a Résumé is? Sounds like you’re having trouble articulating your points. Should have kept this in the drafts.
Naaa. I know exactly what I’m saying. Movies shouldn’t have a director with a “great” resume for you to deem it as worthy. It’s shallow. Directors slip up all the time.

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
John Singleton? Why would anyone include him in any Best Directors list? I enjoy some of his stuff but come the fµck on.
Despite what u may think of John Singleton, he contributed a lot of black cinema to Hollywood. He opened doors for a lot of black Hollywood directors. Even Hollywood’s precious Leo Diccaprio is a fan of some of his work. Let’s not act like Boyz in the Hood isn’t a cultural phenomenon (despite how much I don’t like the movie).

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
And look at most of these people who “acclaim” the cinema. Liberal white folks who are set in having an agenda. Should we really care at the end of the day what Suzie White who got her undergrad Film Degree studying outdated film at Juilliard thinks about a movie?
I’ve always been a cinephile and I was one of the few black women in my course. I studied classic cinema, Hollywood golden age, foreign cinema and acclaimed directors etc.

Go watch the scary movie franchise.

Last edited:

Gill Holroyd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,236 2,774 1,324
Alleybux
Despite what u may think of John Singleton, he contributed a lot of black cinema to Hollywood. He opened doors for a lot of black Hollywood directors. Even Hollywood’s precious Leo Diccaprio is a fan of some of his work. Let’s not act like Boyz in the Hood isn’t a cultural phenomenon (despite how much I don’t like the movie).

Ignore that font. It’s a Beyonce stan ironically. They probably don’t appreciate originality

Rosewood was a good movie.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
Naaa. I know exactly what I’m saying. Movies shouldn’t have a director with a “great” resume for you to deem it as worthy. It’s shallow. Directors slip up all the time.
Also, I wouldn’t classify older films as “outdated”, they are a reflection of their time period and that’s ok.

I’m saying this as someone who watches films made as way back to the 1940s.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
John singleton was a great director!

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
I’m not engaging in this discussion with you. I’ve always been a cinephile and I was one of the few black women in my course. I studied classic cinema, Hollywood golden age, foreign cinema and acclaimed directors etc.

Go watch the scary movie franchise.
So a pointless film degree that most likely can’t even get u a job makes u more qualified than me? U proved my entire point of this thread. Pretentious for no reason.
Lol I’ll gladly watch the Scary Movie franchise. It gave me the sense of humour that u obviously lack.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
So a pointless film degree that most likely can’t even get u a job makes u more qualified than me? U proved my entire point of this thread. Pretentious for no reason.
Lol I’ll gladly watch the Scary Movie franchise. It gave me the sense of humour that u obviously lack.
Why are you assuming my degree is pointless? I’m working in the arts industry thank you very much. Yet you created a thread in the MOVIE forum. Which means you enjoy the arts created by those so called pretentious people.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
LOOL @ you assuming my degree is pointless, whilst you’re creating a thread about the very same industry you’re calling pretentious .

without the arts, we’d have no movies to watch nor analyse in the first place.

with all due respect :

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
Because theres a lot of snobby gatekeepers in the film industry who take the art v seriously, which isn't a bad thing tbh.... look at what happened to mainstream music now all the gate keepers are gone.
Exactly. I totally missed the memo where caring about the arts is somehow a bad thing.

we are currently stuck in this era of constant remakes/reboots of classic films because people lack creativity and risk taking.

URAzzIsRupunzel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,611 306 496
Alleybux
Why are you assuming my degree is pointless? I’m working in the arts industry thank you very much. Yet you created a thread in the MOVIE forum. Which means you enjoy the arts created by those so called pretentious people.
Ooow. I love a filmmaker that respects the art. There seems to be lacking especially in Black entertainment. We need my people with a love film.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
Ooow. I love a filmmaker that respects the art. There seems to be lacking especially in Black entertainment. We need my people with a love film.
Sadly Hollywood is currently giving more funding to the self hating clowns such as Lena Waithe and indie black projects are paid dust

Jasmine Ross

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,400 875 356
Alleybux
U seem to be taking this thread too personally. Film comes in all types. U have your Kubricks and then u have your Wayans. Just because u look at a certain type of film as noteworthy doesn’t mean u have to dumb down other peoples opinion on film. U r a perfect example of a film head that has taken away the fun and creativity of making a film. Idc what u studied in class. A lot of great directors have never even stepped foot in a film class. They do it because of its their passion. Don’t mistake ur education of film for a passion.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
U seem to be taking this thread too personally. Film comes in all types. U have your Kubricks and then u have your Wayans. Just because u look at a certain type of film as noteworthy doesn’t mean u have to dumb down other peoples opinion on film. U r a perfect example of a film head that has taken away the fun and creativity of making a film. Idc what u studied in class. A lot of great directors have never even stepped foot in a film class. They do it because of its their passion. Don’t mistake ur education of film for a passion.
1618600547423.gif

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
Yep, this entire thread is dumb

URAzzIsRupunzel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,611 306 496
Alleybux
Sadly Hollywood is currently giving more funding to the self hating clowns such as Lena Waithe and indie black projects are paid dust
Yep, but on the bright side, Lena is a hack who will fade into obscurity sooner than later. At some point people are going to need substance and talent, and she has none.
You can try to feed the people garbage all you want but in the end the audience chooses who they want to stick around not some film executive.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,971 15,919 9,638
Alleybux
Yep, but on the bright side, Lena is a hack who will fade into obscurity sooner than later. At some point people are going to need substance and talent, and she has none.
You can try to feed the people garbage all you want but in the end the audience chooses who they want to stick around not some film executive.
Very true!

3am

Sawltie
Reaction score
Reactions
206,120 4,581 2,070
Alleybux
I like pretentious sometimes. But sometimes, I like it when things aren’t taken too seriously.

I do find that the quality of American mainstream films have decreased. I really love French and Chinese and Korean cinema.