Quantcast

Why the Opioid Epidemic is Overwhelmingly White

Corgi

RESIDENT LATINA|**** GANG|DROP THE T|MANEATER
Reaction score
Reactions
95,293 2,093 479
Alleybux
"So what I believe is happening is that racial stereotyping is having a protective effect on non-white populations."

When racism backfires and you get bit instead. LOL

I'm not carrying no Narcan on me and don't care about their plight. Lock em up, we don't want these delinquents in our neighborhoods and around our children.:disdain

Sailor Pluto

in the Kuiper Belt
Reaction score
Reactions
218,859 7,720 1,269
Alleybux
I would do drugs too if i had to live in Bumfuck, Kentucky or whatever

Anyways....

faf5d4ec83540107213c878fa39abf06.gif

StrangeXdefault

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
493,712 16,740 4,402
Alleybux
The tools they used to break our communities are now absolutely destroying theirs. There will be no end to the opioid epidemic in White America because White America will never take responsibility and accountability for themselves, their lawmakers or their corporations for the mess they've created.

Let's hope and pray

effty

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
13,526 243 81
Alleybux
I wanna feel bad for them, but when crack was thriving in the hood all they did was lock people up, throw away the key and create the whole "war on drugs"which then locked more people up so.....

ezgif-1-6a211c2f86.gif

Larue1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,954 3,161 1,857
Alleybux
Anybody who has ever watched a season of Intervention (or knows any white people in general) knows by now, all they have to do is complain about pain, and the dr's will give them the good stuff - no questions asked. :disdain

My friends' mom was taking fentanyl in the 80s for back pain caused by a (minor) car accident.

I knew another girl taking Vicodin for tooth pain.

I was in a bad car accident about 10 years ago, and I all could get was 800mg ibuprofen. :disdain
There is still a belief in the medical profession that Black people don’t feel pain. That Black People are tougher and/or stronger than Whites. Black people, supposedly “can take it”.

Whites, who mostly comprise the medical field, believe that Blacks are drug seeking when they are not and so refuse to prescribe them pain meds, even for serious Illnesses like Sickle Cell Anemia. White medical personnel believe that Black people just don’t want to go to work and want to come to the hospital to get a quick high. America is not that far removed from Plantation thinking when it comes to Black people. Dysaesthesia Atheopica anyone?

Finally, White people in general have shown that they simply lack empathy for Black people. Studies have shown this to be true as well. To White people, Black suffering is expected and accepted as the natural order of things.

Last edited:

oldirtyump

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,729 2,799 1,674
Alleybux
One of the first things that we have to do is we have to prevent more people from becoming addicted to opioids, and that's not lecturing to kids, don't do drugs. More than anything else, that's about promoting much more cautious prescribing so that we don't directly addict patients and so that people don't indirectly become addicted because we've stocked everybody's home with a highly addictive drug.

We have to see that they can access the most effective treatments very easily.

If you're opioid addicted, when you wake up in the morning you're going to need to use an opioid pretty quickly or you're going to be feeling very sick.

We want that person to be able to walk into a treatment center, regardless of their ability to pay for their care, and to be started on treatment - outpatient treatment, that same day.

Wow, what happened to bootstraps and free will.

Rising Fast

Abundant
Reaction score
Reactions
44,460 1,594 2,102
Alleybux
Just like with serial killers, birth defects and terminal diseases. The black victims are ignored.

The solution would be to encourage our children to become doctors and nurses instead of football and basketball players but I don’t know if people just want to vent in this thread or talk about solutions.

*Yes, this is a generalization but not really.

Plutonium Fairy

LSA's Favorite Extraterrestrial
Reaction score
Reactions
45,049 1,550 443
Alleybux
Wow. When did you start noticing it was the same people you went to HS with and how different did they look?

Well, I grew up in a small town where everybody knows everybody (and everyone WILL tell your business if they know something) It kind of starts in phases.

Phase 1: Just graduated HS, those "future heroin addicts" are going to their little prestigious 4 year college that their mommy and daddy paid for/ paid most of it off.

Phase 2: College party/drug experimentation phase. Obviously they didn't take schooling too seriously so they'd end up dropping out. Mommy and Daddy aren't usually pleased.

Phase 3: College dropout/ Babymama Babydaddy Trailer Trash Drama : They mostly got some dead end job and had a few kids here and there. Child support is eating up those paychecks.

Phase 4: Gave up on life, Heroin & Meth it is! : I run into old HS classmates usually if I am visiting my hometown every once in awhile (I moved away yearssss ago) and they are usually working the register at your average fast food restaurant, or hanging out in the alley of such fast food restaurant. Then when they ring up my order they are like:

HS Classmate: HEYY _(my name here)_how's it going?
Me: I'm doing alright, just living life. Surviving.
HS Classmate: Yeah I know how that is.....*goes into a zombie trance with eyes that are void of any life*
Me: I'm gonna order this to go please.
HS: Riiiiight right....*hands me reciept*
giphy.gif

They all have that sunken look around their eyes and eyes that show no glimmer of hope. It is what it is.
Then usually when I log into Facebook there's usually some post talking about RIP (classmate that I ran into the other day) and I'm just like oh...
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Sorry for the long post yall I used gifs to make it more entertaining.

JankyLove

A.K.A. Thay Thomethin!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
18,140 3,585 3,991
Alleybux
fµck them. I got NO remorse whatsoever!!

The sins of the father always comes back to the son...

Eminem

Slim Shady
Reaction score
Reactions
169,101 10,080 5,127
Alleybux
there was an article in People last year about this.

If you're a minority or on public aid youre less likely to be prescribed those drugs.

SfAplha3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,268 939 221
Alleybux
White people stay selling and trading their drugs at my school. Whenever somebody gets a wisdom tooth removed they sell the leftovers.

I was givin people side eye for complaining about not getting enough pills after getting their wisdom teeth out, like the doctor was out to get them. They had more than enough because they didnt use them all, they just wanted more to sell. Its cause people be selling that sht that people who need it arent getting it.

They all love coke too. I thought that was a rich people drug until I went to college.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,390 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
White people are some serious drug users!

My recent professional circle is predominantly white, and they just pull put drugs, or talk about the drugs they've used, so nonchalantly.

I'm just like

giphy.webp

originalwharris

Jesse's girl (in my head).
Reaction score
Reactions
277,592 21,993 1,048
Alleybux
White people do most of the drugs. By volume and by rate. Why don’t they account for the most drug criminal convictions tho? By volume or by rate. That’s what I wanna know

They even account for more drug arrests, too. But we know why they rarely get punished the way Black people do. :disdain

AlmsforthePoor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,575 300 100
Alleybux
A big contrast in how the predominantly white opiod user are protected while the black community suffered severly especially in the 80s from the crack epidemic. Not to mention the public health response around the two drugs are very different (see below). Nobody helped my ppl out like they helping these muthaf'ers.

in some cities they making little rooms where opiod users can do they business and not have to worry about being in public OR overdosing. There will be someone in the room with them to make sure of it. Crazy...

Dani_Blanco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
288,141 8,314 1,773
Alleybux
I skimmed through but as they stated racism in prescribing meds is one factor. The other factor is their targeted policing over Black communities. They've always been on top of us sending Black addicts and drug dealers to prison. White people have always done more drugs but they weren't targeted as closely. Now it's so extreme they can't ignore it. White people are falling out in droves in the streets and they can no longer point at the Black community. Now that the tide has changed they no longer want to enforce the drug laws created to lock up Black people. Now they want to show compassion and treat it like a disease.
It's unfortunate but, I can't muster any sympathy. They want passion and understanding, we got 3 strikes laws.

abijean

It's 5:00. Do you know who/where your THUN is?
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
101,499 2,740 1,837
Alleybux
From the title alone: Well should it be another race?

Let em cook, asking all these questions.
That's what got me about this whole article. It's the whiff of "shouldn't THE blacks be the ones addicted??"

I give no fucks about this "epidemic". It's highly amusing to me.

abijean

It's 5:00. Do you know who/where your THUN is?
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
101,499 2,740 1,837
Alleybux
They want to convince us that crackheads are different than people who have an "opioid dependency" (notice they aren't described as junkies anymore).

I refuse to use that euphemism. Ol' Granny and Heather and Chad are dope fiends. Nothing more.

Lately, I've heard about AIDS ravaging a rural white town due to dirty needles. Haven't heard anything else about it though. I wonder what's happening with that across the states.

Mike Pence - of all people - had to concede that AIDS was ravaging his community and took measures to slow it down (like needle exchange).

The tools they used to break our communities are now absolutely destroying theirs. There will be no end to the opioid epidemic in White America because White America will never take responsibility and accountability for themselves, their lawmakers or their corporations for the mess they've created.

They will never learn. They are at the mercy of the lunatic GOP they support. Such is life (and death).

Jackiefoxybrown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,123 2,225 361
Alleybux
And living in an Urban neighborhood, I notice we get alot of the leftover white drug addicts who got kicked out by mom and dad scrounging for change or prostituting in the hood.

acrobat84

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
681 82 46
Alleybux
My (adoptive) grandma (who is white) from rural eastern Tennessee used to refer to her relatives who were still in that areas as "the people who stayed". In the last really 120 years, there were the people (both black and white) who got the heck out of there since there was absolutely no opportunities for them. Then there were the people who stayed despite knowing there was no jobs. Now the opioid epidemic has hit that area and many like it. It started with the Oxy epidemic in Appalachia twenty years ago.

There was a family reunion in the late 1990s where my grandma got to go back to where she was born. It was just so sad. People living in rundown homes built in the 1800s which hadn't been cared for. Most weren't bothering to farm or raise chickens or anything to provide for themselves. My grandmother grew up in absolute poverty but she shook her head and couldn't believe how bad things were. The chicken coop her father had built which helped to support 10 kids was filled with trash and garbage was piled over the small farm field. It's both white and black - anyone who stayed in that area just became hopeless and lived off food stamps and welfare.

And I get why those people would fall for Trump's BS. They want someone to fix the utter hopelessness. Nothing Hillary Clinton would have done if she became president would fix rural America.

The only option is to leave - which is the same as in urban black areas. Some people can decide to leave and never go back - like my grandma. Others don't want to leave what they've always known and feel trapped and utterly hopeless.

All_star23

I make you feel that dont i? Good.
Reaction score
Reactions
116,602 2,903 1,985
Alleybux
Lol birds coming home to roost

The fact that we always have to mention that systemic oppression hits every single aspect of life, they’ve been overly medicating their white patients for decades while not trying to give adequate medicine to black patients & now look. Won’t god do it.

It’s cheap they can get it prescribed & thats why it’s tearing up the poor white rural market. Notice how the calibur of the opioid epidemic is vastly different in media reporting than the crack epidemic

brockhampton

JK Rowling STAN
Reaction score
Reactions
130,839 3,780 1,913
Alleybux
I have experienced this..doctors REFUSING to prescribe me medicine even tho I was on the verge of death. One doctor even told me to "suffer through the pain"..

Salone_Chic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
379,389 7,307 4,083
Alleybux
I have experienced this..doctors REFUSING to prescribe me medicine even tho I was on the verge of death. One doctor even told me to "suffer through the pain"..

Same. Post partum (natural birth with considerable ripping and a lot of stitching without anesthesia) I was only offered tylenol. Not even extra strength. I asked for Ibuprofen 800mg and they said they didn't have any ... At a fµck!ng hospital?

I was happy once I got home and could take my 800mg Motrin.

They don't see us as being deserving of comfort. We're strong and we process pain differently or on a lesser scale apparently.

Let these mofos die in peace.

Mitsukuni

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,954 624 144
Alleybux
"So what I believe is happening is that racial stereotyping is having a protective effect on non-white populations."

When racism backfires and you get bit instead. LOL

I'm not carrying no Narcan on me and don't care about their plight. Lock em up, we don't want these delinquents in our neighborhoods and around our children.:disdain

I was in CVS picking up my medicine when I saw the dign for Narcan. I was curious so I asked the pharmacist how much it was. She said “Oh, it’s $95. It’s a bit pricy, but it’s so good to have. Do you want me to get you one?” Before I knew it I said “Hell no. I dont need that!”:cry I grabbed my stuff and left.

Goonica

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
395,762 11,729 12,062
Alleybux
The solution would be to encourage our children to become doctors and nurses instead of football and basketball players but I don’t know if people just want to vent in this thread or talk about solutions.

*Yes, this is a generalization but not really.
Why encourage them to become doctors and nurses when they don't have the passion for it? The issue now is that too many people are becoming nurses and doctors bc of the money and the guarantee of having a job but they hate people and have no compassion. Everybody and their mama is a nurse and out of the dozens of nurses that I personally know, only 2 should actually be nurses. I don't want a doctor or a nurse who is only there for a check.

Rising Fast

Abundant
Reaction score
Reactions
44,460 1,594 2,102
Alleybux
Why encourage them to become doctors and nurses when they don't have the passion for it? The issue now is that too many people are becoming nurses and doctors bc of the money and the guarantee of having a job but they hate people and have no compassion. Everybody and their mama is a nurse and out of the dozens of nurses that I personally know, only 2 should actually be nurses. I don't want a doctor or a nurse who is only there for a check.

There are barely any African-American black doctors in the first place so to say there are “too many with no passion” must be referring to people of other ethnic groups. Passion can be instilled for science just like it’s instilled for sports. If you prefer to complain with no solutions, fine. But if you want to actually solve the problem, we need more black doctors, PERIOD.

MusiKCityK

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,654 1,145 558
Alleybux
maybe it's overly permissive repercussion free parenting? Maybe it's a feeling of invincibility when it comes to the dangers of becoming addicted to or convicted for drug use or sales.

Maybe it's a decadent perception of what life should feel like. Perhaps difficulty dealing with reality or managing pain?

It might be the music, video games and peers laud drug use a as some freeing rite of passage? Could be that the police, law makers and medical community are babying drug users as poor victims of Latino drug cartels rather than active destroyers of their own communities via their motorcycle and backwoods hillbilly cartels.

Maybe it's the fact that they've made black people the boogey man for so long they are completely able to see their own low and evil ways that led up to this?

It may just be a total lack of morality and common sense though.
Those last two sentences sums up my thoughts on white folk.

Out2Lunch215

I'm not chocolate; I'm chestnut brown
Reaction score
Reactions
115,241 5,213 4,713
Alleybux

This is also the case for teachers. I know a few people who became educators because they had no other options.