Why wasn't KELIS more successful in the US?

FASHION ICON: Dr. Laverne Wimberly
Reactions
51,936 2,527 3,361
Alleybux
Milkshake and Bossy are her only hits here which charted at #3 and #16 respectively. Bossy was also her last Hot 100 entry.
Trick Me is one of her most well-known songs yet it barely charted on Billboard although that was to do with label problems and them not releasing the song here.
there was also quite a big album sales decline between Tasty and Kelis Was Here.

however she has been more successful in the UK. Good Stuff, Milkshake, Bossy, Trick Me, Millionaire, In Public, Caught Out Here, Lil Star, Acapella and 4th of July all did well there and were Top 40 hits.

Reactions
24,771 106 38
Alleybux
Part of me thinks her appeal did not present in a very commercial way that's popular here in the states.

When I lived in Germany from 1999-2003, you couldn't go into a club without a bunch of her songs on rotation throughout the night and into the morning.

Reactions
158,274 2,580 1,225
Alleybux
She had more appeal in Europe. But my friends and I loved Kelis. She was more our lane than the other girls. She’s genuinely dope. Also, she was killing hooks in rap music. Hey Dirty, baby I got your money , don’t you worry. Busta , what it is right now. We wore Kaleidoscope and Wanderlust out.

Reactions
22,180 296 89
Alleybux
Her lack of more success in the States definitely doesn't match her talent. Not saying anyone said it did. It could be a combination of things.

But on the surface I think they couldn't pigeon-hole her into one of them or popular genres over here. And maybe they didn't dump a bunch of marketing money into her because of that as well in more "mainstream/money" spaces. I loved her look. But race and ethnicity may have also played a roll. People may not like it being mentioned but it's a real thing in how you are marketed. But even when she was in the Enrique Iglesias video for that duet, they/she straightened her natural hair to give her a certain look.

80’s baby
Reactions
104,966 2,187 1,564
Alleybux
Her image...

Her sound was different and unique and more R&B popish. The Neptunes put her out there but a lot of rap artists didn’t take her seriously until she was with Nas.

Reactions
21,730 92 28
Alleybux
The US is very backwards especially when it comes to women in music. The US unfortunately wants to fit every female artist into a box, but male artists are allowed to do whatever they want. The UK is more accepting of individuality in female artists.

I'll Make You Famous
Reactions
2,928 55 44
Alleybux
Her lack of more success in the States definitely doesn't match her talent. Not saying anyone said it did. It could be a combination of things.

But on the surface I think they couldn't pigeon-hole her into one of them or popular genres over here. And maybe they didn't dump a bunch of marketing money into her because of that as well in more "mainstream/money" spaces. I loved her look. But race and ethnicity may have also played a roll. People may not like it being mentioned but it's a real thing in how you are marketed. But even when she was in the Enrique Iglesias video for that duet, they/she straightened her natural hair to give her a certain look.
It's because Kelis went out of her way to look as ugly as possible and she was difficult to work with

1609262182626.jpg

Reactions
18,789 517 625
Alleybux
I know this phrase is used often but I feel like Kelis was one of the few who too ahead of the time. Pharrell and whoever else was putting that sound out with her before people were ready.

everything about Kelis is lowkey too forward for some to catch

Are u Dum?
Reactions
3,539 81 48
Alleybux
I know this phrase is used often but I feel like Kelis was one of the few who too ahead of the time. Pharrell and whoever else was putting that sound out with her before people were ready.

everything about Kelis is lowkey too forward for some to catch
Defo ahead of her time, true artist

La Grande Dame
Reactions
119,034 1,481 849
Alleybux
She was a pop girl that was far ahead of her time. America didn't appreciate what she had to offer until lessers served a quarter-water version of her sound and look.

Which reminds me, this year marks the anniversary of one of the few genuinely good albums to come out of an otherwise dismal decade for music:
Kelis_-_Wanderland.png

The Culture

Celebrity News

Recent Posts

I do not like lovelyti2002
I can not believe Ti is supporting Kevin Samuels and that bs.
Jackie Aina Thread
Someone should tell Denise to offer Jackie a calendar next, she clearly does not get how seasonal launches work. It will be more useful than a...
Liv's Life: Living My Best Lie!
Oh yeah kind of like Two daughters hair , one she couldn’t manage so she cut it & the baby with the missing edges I’m assuming that’s where mama...
Michael B. Jordan Appreciation/Tea Thread Part III
I don’t want to defend Mrs. Goofie but maybe she archived photos because everyone keeps bringing up likes of other celebrities or maybe she just...
Giuliani says he's giving Trump 36 hours to help him w/ bills, or else he'll crack under pressure
Trump ruin a lot of people legacy He simply handed them the guns and the bullets. They loaded the gun, took aim, and shot THEMSELVES in the foot...
What has Tremaine Aldon Neverson "Trey Songz" been up to? is he still heauxing? PART IX
He keep having these lawsuits pop up from past altercations...wonder how many he has racked up like wtf Trey Songz Sued for Allegedly Punching...
Married at First Sight: Season 12 Atlanta (Watch Thread) - Starts Jan. 13
Were we told that tonight’s episode would be a recap because I feel bamboozled.
The Challenge Season 36 Double Agents (no spoilers)
Kyle looks good. That Skype filter is golden. Kyle put that until you do right by me energy on Leroy. I was saying the same thing, he looking...
Does it look really bad if you find another job, put in your 2wks but don't tell anyone there...
Nope. Only person that should know in advance is your higher up, but even then, fûck em.
Top Bottom