Quantcast

Why won't the music industry invest in black geniuses like princes and mj

coolgirlia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,945 1,483 492
Alleybux
I'm just so livid knowing that as our black geniuses die, our current music industry is doing everything they an to make sure that only mediocre white artists reign in the industry

How can we even one day have another Prince, MJ, Whitney etc. if the industry no longer invests in black artistry????

Queen Lili

The One To Destroy It All
Reaction score
Reactions
100,600 4,813 2,396
Alleybux
Because they don't want that, they only want us in one genre of music.
For example gangsta rap is only shown, but it was supposed to be one sub genre of rap.
Like with rock, you have punk, metal, grunge etc.
No diversity allowed among us, but they can be rappers, rock stars, country stars etc. That how they can push the stereotype of us not just in the US, but around the world.

SaLiLi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,892 7,386 9,336
Alleybux
Bc it's controlled by racist jews that use music to demonize black people. Ignore them and support who you want.

msbold1

Sipping my tea, and saving my money.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,526 317 158
Alleybux
I'm just so livid knowing that as our black geniuses die, our current music industry is doing everything they an to make sure that only mediocre white artists reign in the industry

How can we even one day have another Prince, MJ, Whitney etc. if the industry no longer invests in black artistry????

You answered your own question.

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,911 7,652 2,603
Alleybux
The industry won't invest in black artists - even though blacks do bring money - because they don't want to admit that blacks are great.

So instead of whining and complaining to the industry that they should give space to black musicians we should buy albums from legends such as MJ, Prince, Sade, Etta James, etc and support underrated black artists.

By not giving our money to the industry, they will see how much they fµcked up and will stop being such whiny jealous b!tches.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,305 8,451 7,808
Alleybux

It's when stuff like this happens, that you understand that most of the people you listen to and carry on for today ain't sheit, and can't carry the water for those who came before. I mean, there must have been something in the water back during those times.

PiscesMoonGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,615 714 229
Alleybux
Well, remember it was Joe Jackson and Berry Gordy who pretty much developed the Jacksons and Michael. Then it was Quincy Jones who brought Michael to the next level. (Not saying his record label didn't help; Epic had to go to war with MTV just to get MJ's Thriller album videos on there...)

For Whitney it was Cissy Houston's studio and church connections that developed Whitney.

For Prince, I think he basically developed himself. That's why he started producing himself isn't it? So he could fully execute his own vision and keep control of it (I was amused to see Warner Bros.' tweet about his death; of course no mention of them trying to keep him a "slave" as he himself said...)

So I'm going to have faith that, while these forerunners can NEVER be duplicated, something just as good will come along eventually. I know it's hard to believe. But Whitney learned from Cissy, Prince learned from James Brown and Jimi Hendrix, Michael learned from Sammy Davis Jr. so the seeds have already been planted. We'll just have to see what they bring.

anna7

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,228 3,551 483
Alleybux
Idk man, there has to be more talents out there like that. Someone really unique...I think people don't want to take chances anymore.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,589 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but when you look at everything MJ and Prince has done what else is there to do?

They've already done it all. That book is closed, we will never see these two again in entertainment...
or anyone better.

lunatixx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,349 695 499
Alleybux
I think they are slowing trying to take R&B from us by labeling people like Adele and Sam Smith as "soulful".

MimiLuvs...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,466 4,633 535
Alleybux
IMO... I believe there are musicians out there who are currently creating music that is surpassing boundaries, music (excluding lyrical content) wise. I think these folks are trying to go down the 'indie label' route. I remember Prince once giving the advice to "stay independent" to people, who want to enter the music business.

Pinkladyv

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
94 1
Alleybux
IMO... I believe there are musicians out there who are currently creating music that is surpassing boundaries, music (excluding lyrical content) wise. I think these folks are trying to go down the 'indie label' route. I remember Prince once giving the advice to "stay independent" to people, who want to enter the music business.

There are a lot of really cool indie artists. I remember someone said that in the past new genres and styles of music were created all the time; I'm looking forward to what new sounds will come.

flylady954

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,414 159 820
Alleybux

I get the anger but it's not the Industry's fault anymore. They don't actually control anything, the artist just think they do. It's like how they break an elephant in the Circus, they can control a 2 ton animal with a broomstick and a rope.

Look we've got instagram and twitter making "celebrities" out of no-talented regular chicks like Bernice Burgos and Lira Galore. Artist can use it the same way. The excuse before used to be the record labels controlled the budgets that it took to expose an artist via radio and magazines and that was true. But now you've got Itunes and Soundcloud and a thousand other outlets to get your music heard and build a following. Build your following your way, with the music you want to make. But it takes work and the liberal progressive mantra is to let someone else give you something. And these artists want Sony and Defjam and Warner to do all the work. IF they aren't letting you record what you want to record don't record for them. Do what Prince did, change the name you record under and put out your own music.

Actually be a CEO of a label and not some imprint the label gives you to make you think you got freedom.

Don't blame the slave owner for freed people volunteering to put themselves in chains and pick the cotton

Terry Mcginnis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,532 1,577 910
Alleybux
The blame at this point should be put on both sides. People need to stop looking to the mainstream media for answers. It's been obvious to anyone with common sense that the suits are purposely hindering the growth of black artistry in all forms of media.

The mainstream music industry is a tool for white supremacy. There are many talented black artists in the independent scene, but people either don't know how to discover these talents or are content with waiting for the mainstream industry to give these artists a cosign before they patronize them.

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux
Well, remember it was Joe Jackson and Berry Gordy who pretty much developed the Jacksons and Michael. Then it was Quincy Jones who brought Michael to the next level. (Not saying his record label didn't help; Epic had to go to war with MTV just to get MJ's Thriller album videos on there...)

For Whitney it was Cissy Houston's studio and church connections that developed Whitney.

For Prince, I think he basically developed himself. That's why he started producing himself isn't it? So he could fully execute his own vision and keep control of it (I was amused to see Warner Bros.' tweet about his death; of course no mention of them trying to keep him a "slave" as he himself said...)

So I'm going to have faith that, while these forerunners can NEVER be duplicated, something just as good will come along eventually. I know it's hard to believe. But Whitney learned from Cissy, Prince learned from James Brown and Jimi Hendrix, Michael learned from Sammy Davis Jr. so the seeds have already been planted. We'll just have to see what they bring.

Prince's parents were both professional musicians - father a pianist and mother was a singer.

PiscesMoonGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,615 714 229
Alleybux
Prince's parents were both professional musicians - father a pianist and mother was a singer.

Well see? There you go! His parents got him started on his way. And since we're happily not running short on Black folks, I think this kind of talent will be developed again. It might take AWHILE, but we'll see it again.

Thanks for sharing that [MENTION=110919]Jane Williams[/MENTION] I didn't know that :glad 512x512:

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,974 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
MJ, Prince, and a small handful of other Black artist got too close to the top from 1960-2000. We all know the White people controlling the industry can't stand when a ***** gets too much power. That opens up doors for conscious artists like MJ and Prince to invest in the Black community and help other artists achieve said power.

Why do you think MJ is dead and his ATV catalogue is gone?

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,911 7,652 2,603
Alleybux
I think they are slowing trying to take R&B from us by labeling people like Adele and Sam Smith as "soulful".

They have been doing this for a while, and people are buying it because we don't see r&B black artists anymore, since the mainstream media focus solely on those two artists. is adele and sam smith good? yes, they are definitely talented, but please don't try to take the crown from the real r&b artists.

the problem is that we are buying into that. people are simply accepting whatever the media feeds them instead of stepping back and saying "wait a minute, they are not the definition or the FACE of r&b".

that's why i don't check what the media says anymore about who is the new "legend" or "greatest artist" because it is always whomever tptb want to be hyped up. for months everyone was drooling over adele, and beyonce sells a fµck!ng stadium without needing months of constantly informing the world that she will have a tour - that must sure hurt some white folks.

i have turned off the tv five years ago and haven't looked back - soon i will have to turn off the radio while i drive because i am tired of hearing some taylor non-ass swift or that adele is the r&b queen, like, wtf :dead:

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,911 7,652 2,603
Alleybux
The blame at this point should be put on both sides. People need to stop looking to the mainstream media for answers.

There are many talented black artists in the independent scene, but people either don't know how to discover these talents or are content with waiting for the mainstream industry to give these artists a cosign before they patronize them.

exactly! we need to go look for them instead of asking the mainstream media to give them space to shine. fµck the media.

did y'all notice that black people are always asking white people for something? we ask for reparations, we ask for respect, we ask for justice, we ask to be included in the oscars, we ask to play music from new artists instead of simply doing something?

before integration, we used to have our own rich communities - that white people did everything to destroy - but if we did it back in early 1900's when racism, intolerance and lynching was HIGH, why won't we do it now?

we need to wait for permission from the media to listen to new black artists. we need to go look for them and buy their music!

Miss Oop

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
22 5 1
Alleybux

this is so true! I met this singer in Atlanta and she can sang. i asked her about signing to a label and she pretty much told me she'd rather go the independent route even if it takes her longer to pop. she was a pretty natural neo-soul type which labels havent had in a long time so you would think people would be all over it, but idk.

rtcanes

Ooo To Be A Gooner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,843 406 42
Alleybux
Idk man, there has to be more talents out there like that. Someone really unique...I think people don't want to take chances anymore.

The industry changed. Back in those days the label made their money off of album sales. So you could sign a ton of artists, let them do their thing and put out the albums banking on the probability that some will blow up.

Now with album sales so low, they can't afford to sign a bunch of artists and let them create. They have to pick the marketable ones (whites), and style and mold their sound to what's profitable in the current environment. That's why music is so unoriginal, watered down today. It's a copycat league now. Oh so and so got a hit singing like this, ok our guy has to sing like that too.

devilicious

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,911 7,652 2,603
Alleybux
That's why music is so unoriginal, watered down today. It's a copycat league now. Oh so and so got a hit singing like this, ok our guy has to sing like that too.

and that is sad. originality is important. copycats can sell, but the really talented ones will be legends. 50 years from now, no one will care about Taylor no-ass swift, but everyone will know who Prince and MJ are.

TheQueen

TheQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
42,225 1,435 224
Alleybux
Prince, MJ, Whitney this is a God given talent. This talent can never be duplicated, or manufactured.

Swan

Secular Woman
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
400,060 5,387 939
Alleybux
well..tbh both Prince and MJ invested in themselves first, their families invested in them first. Then they had to WORK. They weren't sought out in the beginning, but they had that rare combo of talent, drive and PASSION for their craft that catapulted them to the level they were at. You have to keep in mind, none of the huge black stars were given anything back then either. They all made their rounds on the "chitlin'" circuit. There were so many talented black musicians to compete with in the 60s/70s/80s that there was literally only room for the cream to rise and make noise.

Pinkladyv

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
94 1
Alleybux
They had crazy high standards back then. Now...not so much.

I do think this is true. Artists back then had a mix of wanting ( of course) commercial success but also genuinely loving music and wanting to further themselves and grow.

AllYouNeedIsLuv

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,027 16 16
Alleybux
for that to happen the "industry" has to be predominately black,

IE: the way Motown invested in their artists

AllYouNeedIsLuv

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,027 16 16
Alleybux
well..tbh both Prince and MJ invested themselves first, in their families invested in them first. Then they had to WORK. They weren't sought out in the beginning, but they had that rare combo of talent, drive and PASSION for their craft that catapulted them to the level they were at. You have to keep in mind, none of the huge black stars were given anything back then either. They all made their rounds on the "chitlin'" circuit. There were so many talented black musicians to compete with in the 60s/70s/80s that there was literally only room for the cream to rise and make noise.

yes, I remember when Don Cornelius was taking about James brown coming on Soul train,
and asking him "Don who's backing you on this",
and Don said "James it's only me"

Pinkladyv

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
94 1
Alleybux
The music industry is stale in general right now and needs a shake up. I agree there needs to be more investment in artists and the future.

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,537 1,743 286
Alleybux
I think we should invest in ourselves by supporting the musical arts in grade school. So many schools have cut out music programs and place more emphasis on math, science and reading and meeting test score goals. I mean I get it but not everyone is capable or willing to be academically ambitious.