Quantcast

Will the success of Black Panther encourage Black Hollywood to start making positive black films

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,627 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
Black Panther is possibly the most anticipated movie in the last couple of years. The strong cast and amazing effects will have this movie selling and breaking records. What makes this so special is that this will be the second time a predominately black movie will be represented positively with Hidden Figures coming out a couple of years ago.

We will see black people who are superheroes, royalty, strong, powerful, and intelligence. If you know that story of Black Panther he is technically a genius.

We all know that white Hollywood lives off on keeping POC in a box. Black actors should stop trying to strive for their approval and just make great films.

Will Black Hollywood finally wake up and start making positive black films that does not involve the ghetto, drug gangs, shootings, baby daddies, ghetto rats and angry black family dysfunction.

Hidden Figures did very well in the box office and it was a postive black film.

Will Black Hollywood learn to take control of their creativity and stop the stereotypical black characters. Bless her heart but Lesile Jones needs to go. She is is a throwback to old minstrel depictions of black people.

Will there be a change where Black Hollywood learns that being ghetto is not vogue and enlightment should be the key to stir a Black Hollywood golden age.

BLACK%2BPANTHER%2BCHARACTER%2BPOSTERS%2Bon%2BPOPCORNX.png

CountingStars

Being Mad Because You’re a Gangstalker is Weird
Reaction score
Reactions
65,517 2,461 2,096
Alleybux
Yes it will. All the work from the past has lead up to this and will continue to blow.

I think black film has a hard time conceptualising futurism. It's not "black" people per say but I've noticed with dystopian movies and science fiction in general, there are very few black people in the surviving or "master" classes. They are sparse or left out altogether. It's a lack of grand vision. However, the people are demanding it so they will and our economic power grows steadily as well. People forget we are slowly connecting our markets too.

ProductFiend

Sally ain't got nuffin' on me!
Reaction score
Reactions
72,403 5,009 6,365
Alleybux
Will Black Hollywood finally wake up and start making positive black films that does not involve the ghetto, drug gangs, shootings, baby daddies, ghetto rats and angry black family dysfunction.

Will Black Hollywood learn to take control of their creativity and stop the stereotypical black characters. Bless her heart but Lesile Jones needs to go. She is is a throwback to old minstrel depictions of black people.

Will there be a change where Black Hollywood learns that being ghetto is not vogue and enlightment should be the key to stir a Black Hollywood golden age.

In a word, NO.

Dani_Blanco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
288,144 8,315 1,773
Alleybux
Not really they are aware there is a market. They just aren't interested in putting their resources there.

Just like the natural hair movement, when we start doing our own thing; they will want a piece.

gracie13

“I am Hippolyta! I am Hippolyta!
Reaction score
Reactions
328,110 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
I don't care for them to make money off us.

I hope the millionaires and billionaires of our community. Step and support our film industries.

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,339 2,110
Alleybux
Absolutely.

Everything flows where the money flows. It will make white creators want to exploit black films and give courage to the independent black creators who dream of making films.

Black media is growing. This is what happens when we finally start supporting movies that resemble us.

EYEdentity

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
105,289 10,795 22,525
Alleybux
Black Panther is possibly the most anticipated movie in the last couple of years. The strong cast and amazing effects will have this movie selling and breaking records. What makes this so special is that this will be the second time a predominately black movie will be represented positively with Hidden Figures coming out a couple of years ago.

We will see black people who are superheroes, royalty, strong, powerful, and intelligence. If you know that story of Black Panther he is technically a genius.

We all know that white Hollywood lives off on keeping POC in a box. Black actors should stop trying to strive for their approval and just make great films.

Hidden Figures did very well in the box office and it was a postive black film.

I need some of yall to leave Leslie the f*ck alone and let her do her thing. If Melissa McCarthy can get rich playing the role of a buffoon then Leslie can too...

As a Black woman it is probably hard enough to break into acting, but you want to snatch various roles away from Black women? And what? Give them to white women? Making an already white flooded Hollywood even whiter? Think about the craziness of what you just said. ..

Last edited:

jetsetta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,257 1,079 435
Alleybux
I need some of yall to leave Leslie the f*ck alone and let her do her thing. If Melissa McCarthy can get rich playing the role of a buffoon then Leslie can too...

As a Black woman it is probably hard enough to break into acting, but you want to snatch various roles away from Black women? And what? Give them to white women? Making an already white flooded Hollywood even whiter? Think about the craziness of what you just said. ..

She's literally saying the opposite of what you just accused her of saying. More positive BLACK images. How do you arrive at giving her roles to white women. OP is saying she want's those roes to be re-written for different BLACK women. Smh do you know Leslie or something?

EYEdentity

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
105,289 10,795 22,525
Alleybux
She's literally saying the opposite of what you just accused her of saying. More positive BLACK images. How do you arrive at giving her roles to white women. OP is saying she want's those roes to be re-written for different BLACK women. Smh do you know Leslie or something?

Maybe you should read again dear. Cause she advocated for Leslie "to go"...

...Bless her heart but Lesile Jones needs to go. She is is a throwback to old minstrel depictions of black people.

Being that writers arent going to stop making lowbrow/slapstick humor, who do you think they are going to cast in those roles if they cant cast a Black woman like Leslie? Cause realistically it aint gonna be Asians (they barely get ish)... So whos left? Thats right, white women like Melissa McCarthy will pick up the slack

But you keep on thinking you are doing something righteous by backing the idea that an already limited space for Black actresses should become even more limited

Last edited:

jetsetta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,257 1,079 435
Alleybux
Maybe you should read again dear. Cause she advocated for Leslie "to go"...

Being that writers arent going to stop making lowbrow/slapstick humor, who do you think they are going to cast in those roles if they cant cast a Black woman like Leslie? Cause realistically it aint gonna be Asians (they barely get ish)... So whos left? Thats right, white women like Melissa McCarthy will pick up the slack

But you keep on thinking you are doing something righteous by backing the idea that an already limited space for Black actresses should become even more limited

Ok girl. I don't understand what happened with your font. You used to be cool but lately it seems like you're trying to pick fights. Your response to OP is so odd.

EYEdentity

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
105,289 10,795 22,525
Alleybux
Ok girl. I don't understand what happened with your font. You used to be cool but lately it seems like you're trying to pick fights. Your response to OP is so odd.
Its been more than a few years now that Ive been mad at fonts for coming at Leslie for what she does. This aint "lately" - its been here, with receipts

My response to OP isnt odd, she as of the opinion that someone in Leslies lane need to step aside - f*ck that. Again, if Melissa McCarthy can get rich doing exactly what she does, why shouldnt a Black woman like Leslie be able to? And an even more prevalent question, why are other Black women trying to root against her being able to do so??

Tbh, after your 1st post, I just feel like you didnt read all of the OP, cause she did say she wanted to ship Leslie out

Geraldine Blank

RETIRED
Reaction score
Reactions
44,295 2,816 5,587
Alleybux
I don't care for them to make money off us.

I hope the millionaires and billionaires of our community. Step and support our film industries.
With what infrastructure? Ya’ll are forever trying to tell people what do with their money without knowing what the fµck you’re talking about.

Last edited:

gracie13

“I am Hippolyta! I am Hippolyta!
Reaction score
Reactions
328,110 8,179 3,883
Alleybux
With what infrastructure? Ya’ll are forever trying to tell people what do with their money without knowing what the fµck you’re talking about.

Simmer down!

Did Robert Townsend not create movies with all Black or majority Black cast?

What's you're problem? We won't be as big as Hollywood is one day. But, don't look down on what Black people can do when we are unified!

I don't desire speaking with you with your profanity laced comments. Have a good night.

freckledbruh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,514 5,717 3,374
Alleybux
but I've noticed with dystopian movies and science fiction in general, there are very few black people in the surviving or "master" classes.
I think dystopian works run into major issues with regards to race because they are usually grounded in present day reality and our present day reality is that we live in a white supremacist and racist society. That means that Black people will be 1) erased (I think black genocide is real), 2) subjugated (historical slavery of our people was definitely rooted in racism) or 3) we subjugate other races (revolutions tend to have the oppressed become the oppressors).
With 1), black people aren’t going to be happy because we aren’t present physically in the story but our inclusion also minimizes the horrific nature and pervasiveness of racism in our society. (Ex. The tv adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale)
With 2) many black people are tired of seeing us as slaves or oppressed
With 3) besides the fact that getting financing for something like that plus oppressors are usually painted as villains and I don’t think the majority of black people want to be seen as villains considering our own history of slavery.

With all of that said, science fiction desperately needs more black voices and representation on the screen. I hope this movie leads to that.

JojoBaker

Banana skirt dancer
Reaction score
Reactions
9,481 221 138
Alleybux
I think that's a good question OP. Personally I don't think so, at least not right away.. Black Panther also rides off of the Marvel name and comic book films always have great potential to be box office hits across different audiences so I think it will take more examples of positive black films being international successes before black hollywood braves making these films themselves.

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux
Keep in mind by the early 70's white Hollywood was at death's door and bleeding out money. Blaxploitation movies saved the day and helped to finance Jaws, Network, All The Presidents Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Shampoo, Dog Day Afternoon, etc., 2017 box office receipts were the lowest in over a decade. 2016 the worst in nearly a century! So wouldn't be surprised to see a few more like this. I hope Black filmmakers, executives take full advantage of the opportunities and build their own Bollywood/Nollywood.

TheShadowKing

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,802 1,174 391
Alleybux
Not a chance in hell and that's not me trying to be some contrarian either. Everybody is getting caught up in the hype and that's cool I'm excited too, as I've been a fan of the character since I was a little boy reading BP and Black Lighting because of my pops.

THIS IS A COMIC BOOK MOVIE! Yes the characters are primarily black but it's still about a man in a damn costume saving the day lol. These flicks always do numbers because the Marvel/Disney brand basically prints money at this point.

This movie isn't gonna change who the gate keepers are in Hollywood. This movie won't have us seeing an increase in black projects being rushed into development. You'll probably get a couple of more black superhero films/tv shows (Cyborg, Blade, maybe Icon, or a Static Shock) but beyond that I can't see it. So instead of just comedies, rom coms, biopics, and slave films we'll get more heroes. Sounds like more of the same of what we always had tbh.

freckledbruh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,514 5,717 3,374
Alleybux
While I’m not fully convinced this will usher in a golden age of black cinema, we shouldn’t just say it’s doing well because it’s a comic movie. Black Panther isn’t in a vacuum. Get Out was made for only $4 million but almost reached $100 million in ticket sales.

TheShadowKing

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,802 1,174 391
Alleybux
While I’m not fully convinced this will usher in a golden age of black cinema, we shouldn’t just say it’s doing well because it’s a comic movie. Black Panther isn’t in a vacuum. Get Out was made for only $4 million but almost reached $100 million in ticket sales.

I get what you're saying but Get Out was an exception to the rule I feel like. We've never really seen a flick like that before. The critical acclaim it got was special. Hell it was at 100% on RT for a min if I remember correctly. Word of mouth helped elevate that joint.

With Black Panther tho, its definitely breaking all these pre-order records because its a Marvel/Disney film. Black folks are supporting it but lets be real we're still a minority. White folks are spending their money because of the Marvel Brand, and this film ties directly into Infinity War. Hell I just heard my white co-workers talking about how they pre-ordered tickets.

Sweet_chic

Feyd Rautha's Side Chick
Reaction score
Reactions
197,400 3,671 1,155
Alleybux
I agree.

While BP is definitely getting a lot of press and attention because it's a comic book film, it's not JUST because it's a "comic book movie" that is the draw.

In fact, I heard from a lot of people who saw it at the premiere that this movie feels unlike any Marvel film done to date. It doesn't even feel like a "comic book film" I heard some people say.

BP is breaking records and boundaries. :)

CountingStars

Being Mad Because You’re a Gangstalker is Weird
Reaction score
Reactions
65,517 2,461 2,096
Alleybux

Right, the changes are happening because of the demand and the chance at healthy ROI. The gatekeepers might be the same but technology is circumventing the route. A lot of creatives are able to bypass them IF they have the numbers. We have the numbers. Our clout and leverage is increasing. Seeing as we're located in a mixed society, I don't think we're ever going to have 100% our own but our voices/needs/wants/likes/interest definitely carry more weight now.

L O L I T A

✩ American Empress ✩
Reaction score
Reactions
234,472 5,950 1,949
Alleybux

I agree.

While BP is definitely getting a lot of press and attention because it's a comic book film, it's not JUST because it's a "comic book movie" that is the draw.

In fact, I heard from a lot of people who saw it at the premiere that this movie feels unlike any Marvel film done to date. It doesn't even feel like a "comic book film" I heard some people say.

BP is breaking records and boundaries
. :)

All of this.

‘Black Panther’ is breaking records & will be a big box office hit because the film comprises of a majority Black cast in a genre that we lack representation in. ‘Black Panther’ has a striking cast that would've caught most people's attention simply based on the fact that it has never been seen nor done before in this capacity. Marvel was just smart enough to be the first to tap into that market. Kudos to them for doing so, it’s been a long time coming. Having Marvel behind it is a definite bonus, but I won't sit here and act like that is the sole reason ‘Black Panther’ will be its biggest success yet.

‘Black Panther’ is also tapping into a market of people who aren’t even fans of the superhero films like that who will be going to see this film in droves. That really speaks volumes to how dire this change was needed period, but especially in the superhero category where most Black characters are reduced to the sidekick role. :disdain

‘Black Panther’ is a success not only because of the casting, but also the story that’s being told. Black women and men, oozing of opulence, royalty, wealth, and flourishing in their motherland. When was the last time heavily melalinated beings living like how they livin’ in Wakanda was showcased on the silver screen? :disdain

‘Black Panther’ will definitely end up as a cult classic, and will be the standout film of the year. It will be remembered generations from now as one of the first films reflecting #BlackExcellence in all of its glory.

To answer OP's question:

I definitely think Black Panther's success will be the catalyst for a lot of future “Black films”, but especially in the superhero genre. Just like the success of ‘Wonder Woman’ will be the catalyst of future female lead superhero films from this point on, ‘Black Panther’ will have a similar effect.

It’s a shame it has taken this long to happen, but better late than never, right?

GlitterNGlow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,777 647 68
Alleybux
Unfortunately no. The world is still being owned and operated by whites who only like seeing themselves winning. If anything is new, trendy, and marketable whites will quickly shove themselves to the front to exploit it.

LOLAFALANA

Indefinite Hiatus From Readings
Reaction score
Reactions
22,758 375 191
Alleybux
I think it will be a long and strenuous process because the industry is still trying to fight against black films or other non-black people of color films being released mainstream wise especially with Chinese investors being involved and those investors dictating what they want to see globally.

I think Black Panther, Get Out, Fences, and Hidden Figures are a great start, lets hope that film stays on this new ride of mainstream success for black artistry.

nita3000

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,454 621 853
Alleybux
If and only if it's a BIG money maker. It's all about the money.

This far film executives do not greenlight black films because they claim there is no audience.
Audience = Rich Executives

Refresh

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
12,427 1,995 2,767
Alleybux
I would like to see more epic movies, depicting African warriors, as opposed to Roman and British that we always get. Additionally, I'd like to see a broader range of roles for black people, meaning women who are allowed to be crazy and stupid, without it being tied to being ghetto or black men who cry on screen, etc. Just more broader feelings and emotions, instead of stereotypical bs. Lastly, it would also be nice to see a Hollywood movie, with an all-black cast taking place in an African country. Maybe a plot that leads them to go to Nigeria or something.

Just offer me something different, because white or black, Hollywood makes the same.damn.things over and over and it can get boring, which is why i never really go to the movies anymore.

Belleofthesouth

Member of the Rich Bougie Auntie’s Club
Reaction score
Reactions
155,431 7,165 1,510
Alleybux
Yes if we as black people support the film. There are people already trying to deter us from watching.

Sissy

Sissy aka NIPSIANA. Nas & BLACC SAMS MAIN b!tch
Reaction score
Reactions
75,035 8,131 3,637
Alleybux
Keep in mind by the early 70's white Hollywood was at death's door and bleeding out money. Blaxploitation movies saved the day and helped to finance Jaws, Network, All The Presidents Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Shampoo, Dog Day Afternoon, etc., 2017 box office receipts were the lowest in over a decade. 2016 the worst in nearly a century! So wouldn't be surprised to see a few more like this. I hope Black filmmakers, executives take full advantage of the opportunities and build their own Bollywood/Nollywood.
Exactly idk sht mfs acting dumb to the fact black Hollywood been had box office hits back in the 70s! Movies were coming out back to back for a whole decade! I just wish black producers nowadays had that same energy when it came to making black movies now like they did back then

Vanityfair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,855 1,050 1,664
Alleybux
I'm not convinced Hollywood is genuinely interested in portraying black people outside of established stereotypes. BP I feel is almost timely as not long ago Hollywood was being criticised for the all white Oscars highlighting the lack of diversity amongst those liberals. Films like BP and Get Out enables them to recover some ground on that criticism and give the industry some new credibility. But I think it will be business as usual. Blacks will largely carry on being portrayed as the stereotypes we see - dark skin women will continue to lose roles to light skinned women and the rest of it

JCAdams

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,082 190 18
Alleybux
I sure hope so. There appears to be so much support for Black Panther, let us keep the momentum going.

Finewine93

Founder of RiHive Inc., LLC.
Reaction score
Reactions
47,710 1,616 1,233
Alleybux
I agree.

BP is breaking records and boundaries. :)

I’m a huge marvel fan and this didn’t really seem like a marvel movie to me but I still enjoyed it. I do miss some of the typical marvel jokes and hope that part 2 has them. I wasn’t sure if the lack of comedy is bc blacks don’t like that style of comedy or to set the tone of the movie more. I really enjoyed it. I liked the many views of wakabda and think it would have been cheapened a little with comedy.

I can see a movie with just the African female warriors and the female warriors from Wonder Woman Tbh.... women kick ass in both films.

Finewine93

Founder of RiHive Inc., LLC.
Reaction score
Reactions
47,710 1,616 1,233
Alleybux
I believe the higher ups at Disney had a vested interest in this movie succeeding. I hope those bodies stay at the table, convince others and continue making quality black films