Quantcast

WNBA 25th season tips off today!

gwopijon

Zirconia (Nina) and Polly Esther (BrieBrie)
Reaction score
Reactions
183,331 6,267 1,981
Alleybux
General Dempsey has always been a HUGE supporter so happy he is continuying with USA basketball. Congrats to my fellow Chicagoan John Rogers :scream: and congrats to KDurant and Sue :b01

Dempsey back as USA Basketball chair; Bird, Durant on board​

EmjrI5YXMAEzbTj.jpg

Retired Gen. Martin Dempsey was reelected chairperson of USA Basketball on Monday, while five-time Olympic gold medalist Sue Bird and three-time gold medalist Kevin Durant were among those added to the federation’s board of directors.

Dempsey, who was Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army and served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President Barack Obama, is the second person to be elected chair for back-to-back Olympic cycles, following Jerry Colangelo.

Dempsey will remain in the role through the 2024 Paris Olympics. He said that he was proud of USAB’s “remarkable success,” including gold medals in men’s basketball, women’s basketball and women’s 3x3 at the Tokyo Games.

“We remain unflinchingly and enthusiastically committed to winning and rededicate ourselves to representing our country with honor in international competition,” Dempsey said.

Durant and Bird are among five athlete representatives — all gold medalists — who were added to the board, which was expanded from 11 to 15 people for this cycle. Joining Bird and Durant are Seimone Augustus, a three-time winner, and Jennifer Azzi and Harrison Barnes, who won gold once.

Other new board members include WNBA head of league operations Bethany Donaphin, West Coast Conference Commissioner Gloria Nevarez, National Federation of State High School Associations executive director Karissa Niehoff, and John Rogers Jr., the chairman and co-CEO of Ariel Investments.

The other board members are holdovers from the most recent Olympic cycle, including NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum, NBA senior vice president of international operations Kim Bohuny, NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt, Stanford athletic director Bernard Muir and Texas executive senior associate athletics director Chris Plonsky.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
Which team do you think had the lowest potential this past season? And do you think they can improve?

ThatLeogirl

NY State of Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
282,651 8,881 2,262
Alleybux
Which team do you think had the lowest potential this past season? And do you think they can improve?
I would say Dallas. Many didn’t expect them to make the playoffs and they’ll get better from there.

Luv2Luvme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,869 103 23
Alleybux

Indy- Yes, they can improve. How?- Tamika needs to make some trades and fire some people.

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux

EAZYDUZIT

Trevante’s Poetic Inspo
Reaction score
Reactions
68,121 572 207
Alleybux
Suns and the Mercury lost the finals in the same year…I will never get over it. lol although I am happy for the Sky…but biiiitch can Arizona have anything?? I mean Chicago has MJ and deep dish pizza damn :ROFLMAO:

Luv2Luvme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,869 103 23
Alleybux
Follow up question (for everyone):

Who was the most overrated team?
Sun or the Aces

Sun was suppose to win the ship this year.
Aces just have the most overrated player on their team: Cambage.

gwopijon

Reaction score
Reactions
183,331 6,267 1,981
Alleybux
Suns and the Mercury lost the finals in the same year…I will never get over it. lol although I am happy for the Sky…but biiiitch can Arizona have anything?? I mean Chicago has MJ and deep dish pizza damn :ROFLMAO:

Chicagoan here. Phuck no to the deep dish "pizza" :sick::nah

retromusic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,454 464 110
Alleybux
Indiana. If Catchings and Stanley are still there, NO!

Atlanta shouldn't have been as a bad as they were, but we see how rotten apples in barrel can spoil it all.

The Sparks have low potential next year because they will have ineffective vets taking up cap space and no high first round pick. Also Fisher is still the coach and his "offensive system" has been trash every year he has coach.

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
Indiana. If Catchings and Stanley are still there, NO!

Atlanta shouldn't have been as a bad as they were, but we see how rotten apples in barrel can spoil it all.

The Sparks have low potential next year because they will have ineffective vets taking up cap space and no high first round pick. Also Fisher is still the coach and his "offensive system" has been trash every year he has coach.

The Suns are what the Sparks thought they should be. It's just a bunch of (pretty) individuals and not a team. Disappointing for me to say that. Mercury found the secret glue and rhythm. They need to disperse Sparks players across the league and release them from the chokehold! Agree with you about Atlanta, it was sad.

Luv2Luvme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,869 103 23
Alleybux
The Suns are what the Sparks thought they should be. It's just a bunch of (pretty) individuals and not a team. Disappointing for me to say that. Mercury found the secret glue and rhythm. They need to disperse Sparks players across the league and release them from the chokehold! Agree with you about Atlanta, it was sad.

The Sparks to let DFish go. The offense is trash and just doesn't work. Some players need to go as well. Honestly they just need to start over. If nneka wants to win another championship she needs to go elsewhere because I don't see them firing Fish.

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
The Sparks to let DFish go. The offense is trash and just doesn't work. Some players need to go as well. Honestly they just need to start over. If nneka wants to win another championship she needs to go elsewhere because I don't see them firing Fish.

This. And that way, I hope she feels less trapped. We already know the issues...!

gwopijon

Reaction score
Reactions
183,331 6,267 1,981
Alleybux

this

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
Stef is hilarious! She did a good job with her costume.

Izzy and Cambage........ I guess.
Someone needs to give Izzy and modeling contract that she wants soooooo bad.

To Tea n nem too with that modeling contract loooool

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,419 1,354 37
Alleybux
There were some cute costumes this year... these are just a few that came across my timeline...

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,419 1,354 37
Alleybux
Congrats to Skylar Diggins-Smith on the BodyArmor deal... she had an undisclosed investment in BA as well...

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 11.09.24 AM.png

Last edited:

gwopijon

Reaction score
Reactions
183,331 6,267 1,981
Alleybux
Congrats to both Sue and Dawn. Consistent greatness at all 5 Olympics is key. Both deserving (y) :b01

Sue Bird Honored as the 2021 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year​

46faa409c9de450390b198edaf3a8e5d.jpg

Dec 16, 2021

Sue Bird (Seattle Storm/Connecticut/Syosset, N.Y.), who captured a record-tying fifth-straight Olympic gold medal and served as one of two U.S. flag bearers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, was named the 2021 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year.

USA Basketball has presented its Female Athlete of the Year award annually since 1980.

“I’ve been so lucky to be a part of the USA Basketball program and to play alongside our country’s best,” Bird said. “This award is a reflection of that, and I couldn’t be more honored to be named the USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year.

“Winning gold medals is never about one player, and so I’d be remiss if I didn’t give the bulk of the credit to my teammates and coaches. Again, I’ve been so lucky to put this uniform on as long as I have, and winning gold in Tokyo couldn’t have been more of a team effort.”

Bird is the most decorated FIBA athlete in history, and in addition to her five Olympic gold medals, she has earned five FIBA World Cup medals (four gold, one bronze).

In capturing a fifth-straight Olympic gold medal, Bird and U.S. teammate Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury/Connecticut/Chino, Calif.) became the only Olympic basketball athletes, regardless of gender or country, to win five Olympic basketball gold medals.

“What Sue has accomplished in her USA Basketball career is unprecedented, and USA Basketball is proud to celebrate Sue as the Female Athlete of the Year, specifically for her leadership and helping guide the team to success in 2021,” said Jim Tooley, USA Basketball CEO. “From training camps through to standing on top of the Olympic podium, Sue was a leader on the court and a tremendous representative of the USA in all that she did, including serving as one of the flag bearers for the U.S. delegation.”

In the U.S. Olympic women’s career record book, Bird ranks second for Olympic games (36) and assists (124).

Her 5.8 assist per game, which ranked fourth best in the tournament, lists second in the U.S. Olympic women’s single-competition record book for assists averaged and third for total assists.

"Simply being Sue Bird is what makes her great,” said USA head coach Dawn Staley, who was named a co-recipient of the 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award. “When you say that name, you know you're going to get efficient basketball. You know you're going to get an organized point guard, someone that makes an impact on both sides of the ball. Yes, I know people think Sue isn't a good defender, but she's a pretty darn smart good defender. And we don't win as many gold medals consecutively without her being at the helm.”

---

33f6897d24a64f09ac364b592ded2761.jpg

Gregg Popovich and Dawn Staley Share 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year Award​

• Dec 15, 2021

In recognition of their leadership of gold-medal winning USA Basketball Teams in 2021, Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) and Dawn Staley (South Carolina) were named as co-recipients of the 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award.

This is the first such honor for Popovich, and the third time Staley has been honored as a USA Basketball National Coach of the Year (2015-shared and 2018).

Staley also led the USA women at the 2021 FIBA AmeriCup, where the USA went 6-0 to claim the gold medal and earn the U.S. women their spot in the 2022 FIBA World Cup Qualifying Tournaments.

The U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team shot 49.9% from the field, 39.0% from 3-point and 78.0% from the free throw line and averaged 99.0 points per game, which was second-best in the 12-team tournament.

“Participating in USA Basketball this past cycle has been an unforgettable experience, and I am grateful for the confidence shown in me,” said Popovich, who in 2004 was an assistant coach for the bronze-medal winning U.S. Olympic Basketball Team. “To compete alongside the Women’s Team under the guidance of Dawn Staley was inspiring and impactful.”

The U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team averaged a tournament-leading 84.7 ppg. and shot 50.4% from the field, 35.1% from 3-point and 79.4% from the free throw line. Staley became the first Black woman to serve as head coach of the U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team. Overall, she been a part of six Olympic teams, including three as a player (1996, 2000, 2004) and two as an assistant coach (2008, 2016).

“It's an honor to be recognized by USA Basketball and even more so to share this award with Gregg Popovich,” said Staley. “I got the best of both worlds this year with the AmeriCup team of college players and the Olympic team, who both came in with a team-first mentality that was fun to coach and help them to gold medals.

“Leading an Olympic team on the cusp of history was a responsibility I took to heart, and I appreciate the players who embraced the way we wanted to play and did what they had to in order to continue that Olympic win streak.”

She led a USA National Team training camp in February 2021, and ahead of the Tokyo Olympic Games, she and the USA opened training camp on July 12 in Las Vegas, where the USA recorded a 1-2 exhibition record.

“I think with Dawn, obviously, what makes her unique is that she does have the player’s perspective of all of this,” U.S. guard Sue Bird (Seattle Storm/Connecticut/Syosset, N.Y.) said ahead of the Olympics, which saw her collect a record-tying fifth-straight Olympic gold medal. “She’s experienced it. She knows what it is like. I think she definitely brings her own personality to things and her own identity to things.”

Justa

Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
Congrats to both Sue and Dawn. Consistent greatness at all 5 Olympics is key. Both deserving (y) :b01

Sue Bird Honored as the 2021 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year​

46faa409c9de450390b198edaf3a8e5d.jpg

Dec 16, 2021

Sue Bird (Seattle Storm/Connecticut/Syosset, N.Y.), who captured a record-tying fifth-straight Olympic gold medal and served as one of two U.S. flag bearers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, was named the 2021 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year.

USA Basketball has presented its Female Athlete of the Year award annually since 1980.

“I’ve been so lucky to be a part of the USA Basketball program and to play alongside our country’s best,” Bird said. “This award is a reflection of that, and I couldn’t be more honored to be named the USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year.

“Winning gold medals is never about one player, and so I’d be remiss if I didn’t give the bulk of the credit to my teammates and coaches. Again, I’ve been so lucky to put this uniform on as long as I have, and winning gold in Tokyo couldn’t have been more of a team effort.”

Bird is the most decorated FIBA athlete in history, and in addition to her five Olympic gold medals, she has earned five FIBA World Cup medals (four gold, one bronze).

In capturing a fifth-straight Olympic gold medal, Bird and U.S. teammate Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury/Connecticut/Chino, Calif.) became the only Olympic basketball athletes, regardless of gender or country, to win five Olympic basketball gold medals.

“What Sue has accomplished in her USA Basketball career is unprecedented, and USA Basketball is proud to celebrate Sue as the Female Athlete of the Year, specifically for her leadership and helping guide the team to success in 2021,” said Jim Tooley, USA Basketball CEO. “From training camps through to standing on top of the Olympic podium, Sue was a leader on the court and a tremendous representative of the USA in all that she did, including serving as one of the flag bearers for the U.S. delegation.”

In the U.S. Olympic women’s career record book, Bird ranks second for Olympic games (36) and assists (124).

Her 5.8 assist per game, which ranked fourth best in the tournament, lists second in the U.S. Olympic women’s single-competition record book for assists averaged and third for total assists.

"Simply being Sue Bird is what makes her great,” said USA head coach Dawn Staley, who was named a co-recipient of the 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award. “When you say that name, you know you're going to get efficient basketball. You know you're going to get an organized point guard, someone that makes an impact on both sides of the ball. Yes, I know people think Sue isn't a good defender, but she's a pretty darn smart good defender. And we don't win as many gold medals consecutively without her being at the helm.”

---

33f6897d24a64f09ac364b592ded2761.jpg

Gregg Popovich and Dawn Staley Share 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year Award​

• Dec 15, 2021

In recognition of their leadership of gold-medal winning USA Basketball Teams in 2021, Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) and Dawn Staley (South Carolina) were named as co-recipients of the 2021 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award.

This is the first such honor for Popovich, and the third time Staley has been honored as a USA Basketball National Coach of the Year (2015-shared and 2018).

Staley also led the USA women at the 2021 FIBA AmeriCup, where the USA went 6-0 to claim the gold medal and earn the U.S. women their spot in the 2022 FIBA World Cup Qualifying Tournaments.

The U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team shot 49.9% from the field, 39.0% from 3-point and 78.0% from the free throw line and averaged 99.0 points per game, which was second-best in the 12-team tournament.

“Participating in USA Basketball this past cycle has been an unforgettable experience, and I am grateful for the confidence shown in me,” said Popovich, who in 2004 was an assistant coach for the bronze-medal winning U.S. Olympic Basketball Team. “To compete alongside the Women’s Team under the guidance of Dawn Staley was inspiring and impactful.”

The U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team averaged a tournament-leading 84.7 ppg. and shot 50.4% from the field, 35.1% from 3-point and 79.4% from the free throw line. Staley became the first Black woman to serve as head coach of the U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team. Overall, she been a part of six Olympic teams, including three as a player (1996, 2000, 2004) and two as an assistant coach (2008, 2016).

“It's an honor to be recognized by USA Basketball and even more so to share this award with Gregg Popovich,” said Staley. “I got the best of both worlds this year with the AmeriCup team of college players and the Olympic team, who both came in with a team-first mentality that was fun to coach and help them to gold medals.

“Leading an Olympic team on the cusp of history was a responsibility I took to heart, and I appreciate the players who embraced the way we wanted to play and did what they had to in order to continue that Olympic win streak.”

She led a USA National Team training camp in February 2021, and ahead of the Tokyo Olympic Games, she and the USA opened training camp on July 12 in Las Vegas, where the USA recorded a 1-2 exhibition record.

“I think with Dawn, obviously, what makes her unique is that she does have the player’s perspective of all of this,” U.S. guard Sue Bird (Seattle Storm/Connecticut/Syosset, N.Y.) said ahead of the Olympics, which saw her collect a record-tying fifth-straight Olympic gold medal. “She’s experienced it. She knows what it is like. I think she definitely brings her own personality to things and her own identity to things.”

Congrats, Aunty Sue and Dutty Diana!

LadyEsq

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,419 1,354 37
Alleybux
@gwopijon The 2021 season is over... we have moved to this thread for the off-season: