Quantcast

UPDATE Woman and ex jailed for 10 years for allowing death of toddler in 'cage bed'

SunKissWanderer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,505 40,726 695
Alleybux
UPDATE:
A woman and her ex-partner have been jailed for 10 years each for allowing the death of a toddler who was tied face-down to a "cage bed".

Lauren Coyle and Reece Hitchcott, both 20, were found guilty of causing or allowing the death of 19-month-old Ellie-May Minshull Coyle following a trial, but cleared of her manslaughter.

Sentencing the pair on Friday, judge Mr Justice Dove said: "The bed you both created and used, night after night, was quite literally a death trap."

He said: "On the night of March 22 and March 23 2017, undoubtedly in escalating distress and agony, Ellie-May Minshull Coyle succumbed to asphyxiation while she was forcibly restrained in the cage which her toddler bed had been transformed into.

"All the positive energy and joy which she had brought into the world was extinguished on March 23 and it was extinguished by you both."

Full story Woman and ex jailed for 10 years for allowing death of toddler in 'cage bed'

ORIGINAL POST:
upload_2018-10-23_22-11-13.jpeg

Ellie-May was found not breathing in bed by her grandfather (Image: Facebook)

The mum of a toddler who died after allegedly being tied face-down to a bed claims her boyfriend said "I'm sorry" after she found a velcro strap on her daughter's ankle, a court heard.

Ellie-May Minshull-Coyle, who died aged 19 months, was allegedly tied down on a bed which had been turned into a "cage" with a duvet placed over her.

A post-mortem examination found she died due to "forcible restraint by ligatures in a face-down position complicated by hyperthermia".

Her mum Lauren Coyle, 19, told Liverpool Crown Court Ellie-May was lying on her back and was not restrained when she put her back into bed after she woke at about 7am on March 23 last year.

Coyle said she had fallen asleep on the sofa after putting Ellie-May back to bed and had woken when her father, Sean Coyle, visited the flat in Preston, Lancashire, at about 9.25am.

Sean Coyle went into his grandaughter Ellie-May's bedroom with his daughter's boyfriend Reece Hitchcott, 20, but rang emergency services when he realised his granddaughter was not breathing.

upload_2018-10-23_22-17-8.jpeg

Coyle has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter (Image: Dan Rowlands / SWNS.com)

upload_2018-10-23_22-18-18.jpeg

Hitchcott denies the manslaughter of Ellie-May Minshull-Coyle (Image: SWNS.com)

Coyle told the court when Hitchcott took Ellie-May out of the bed she noticed what appeared to be a black Velcro strap around the toddler's ankles.

She said: "I said to Reece: 'Did you do this? Why would you do it?' And he said: 'I'm sorry."'

Ellie-May was allegedly bound by her legs and chest and forced to sleep face-down in the bed - a purple Frozen bed, based on the Disney children's film - which has been described in court as being made into a "monstrous cage" with cot sides placed around it and covered with blankets and towels.

It is alleged Coyle, Hitchcott and their lodger Connor Kirby, 20, living with the child in the two-bedroom flat at Ward Street in Lostock Hall, all knew what was going on.

Coyle told the court the bed had been converted by Hitchcott.

upload_2018-10-23_22-20-36.jpeg

A post-mortem examination found she died due to "forcible restraint by ligatures in a face-down position complicated by hyperthermia" (Image: Facebook)

upload_2018-10-23_22-20-51.jpeg

She said: "I did tell him that I didn't like it but I never told him to take it down.

"I asked Reece what it was for and he said 'give it a couple of weeks and Ellie will be in a routine and settling', so I just took his advice."

Giving evidence today, she said: "I should have stood my ground and got Reece to take the bed down."

She said Hitchcott would put Ellie-May to bed but she would go to her if she woke in the night and never had difficulty getting her in and out of bed.

Coyle told the court Ellie-May was her "world".

But she said the toddler would have tantrums and bang her head off the floor and doors when she did not get her own way.

She said a text message she sent to Hitchcott saying "I've smacked her loads" referred to her smacking her on the back of the hand once or twice following those tantrums.

The court heard in one text message sent to her partner on March 8, she said: "I literally just feel like jumping in front of a train.

"I just feel down with this child constantly being naughty and I'm so stressed out it makes me feel dizzy."

In another message, sent on March 17, less than a week before Ellie-May's death, she wrote: "That child's f***ing woke me up screaming the whole flat down banging her head. Feel so knackered."

Coyle, Hitchcott, and Kirby have all pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.

They also each deny a count of causing or allowing the death of the child, one count of child cruelty by "caging" the child in her bed, and another count of child cruelty by restraining her in the bed.

The trial continues.

Mum of toddler who died after being 'tied face-down in cage' blames boyfriend

Last edited:

rayaee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,471 2,518 1,111
Alleybux
One sorry ass mama and a dumb evil ass bf!! That baby didn't deserve that isht whatsoever!

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,462 4,843 1,260
Alleybux
Is this a lack of bonding? How do you not make your child’s safety your first priority? How do these women give up so much contro with regard to their kids?

qurl

I need more lemon pledge
Reaction score
Reactions
13,529 574 315
Alleybux
I had so much to say but the only thing passing in my head that I can focus on is my daughter doing the same thing but she was getting ready to start speaking. It's what babies fµck!ng do! Mine is 5 now and sleeping right next to me like how she loves it. I can't even put her on time out without feeling bad. Wtf kind of heartless broad must you be to be involved with killing your own child that you brought into the world?

Elementer

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
754 25 10
Alleybux
POS parents. I wonder what her parents were like though, she's a teen mother and obviously wasn't taught anything about parenting or being a decent human.

jeansaprincess

<span style="font-weight:bold; font-style:italic;
Reaction score
Reactions
100,261 8,047 3,966
Alleybux
Babies should not be taken home from the hospital without full parenting classes on how to care for them and gain patience. It sounds like this child had some issues that this mom was not prepared for and that boyfriend had no business handling her in any wAy. These birds need to let their sheets cool before inviting a new man around. It’s fine to date but a baby that small should not already have a man besides her father being with her especially unsupervised. He killed her no doubt. Him and that mother’s negligence.

SunKissWanderer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,505 40,726 695
Alleybux
I updated the OP. They both only got 10 years. SMH.

Photos have been released of the death trap.

upload_2018-11-16_15-3-19.jpeg

Pictures show towels and sheets draped over the cot so Ellie-May could not see out(Image: PA)

upload_2018-11-16_15-4-11.jpeg

The little girl had been forcibly tied to the bed on more than one occasion (Image: PA)

upload_2018-11-16_15-4-47.jpeg

A post-mortem examination found her death was caused by "forcible restraint by ligatures in a face down position complicated by hyperthermia" (Image: PA)

Frozen-themed cage bed where tragic toddler was tied up and left to die