.ILL.

Iwokeuplikedis
Reaction score
Reactions
13,650 11 1
Alleybux
Woods expects hungry Tarver

By Mark Staniforth Special to PA SportsTicker
TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) - Clinton Woods insists he will leave nothing to chance when he steps into the ring for what he calls the biggest fight of his career against Antonio Tarver in Tampa, Saturday night.
The Sheffield star puts his IBF light-heavyweight title on the line secure in the knowledge victory could present him with any number of lucrative options, including a showdown with domestic rival Joe Calzaghe.
But Woods is adamant he will not look beyond former undisputed champion Tarver and will disregard his opponent’s recent performances, which suggest his best days may have passed.
Woods witnessed Tarver’s motormouth style at first hand at the final press conference.
“I can’t afford to think Tarver has lost his appetite,” Woods said. “He says he is hungrier now than he has ever been and I believe that.

“But I’m also in the best shape of my life. I’ve had a brilliant camp out in Orlando and I’m raring to go. This is a massive fight for me. I’ve learned so much in my career and I know exactly what to expect.”
Tarver lost almost every round of a dismal title fight against Bernard Hopkins and sandwiched filming for the Rocky Balboa movie in between two subsequent unimpressive wins.
But at his best, Tarver was a match for any other 175-pound fighter - as he proved with a stunning second-round win over Roy Jones and also victory over former Woods foe Glen Johnson.
“Despite what people say, I feel right now that I am at the pinnacle of my career,” Tarver said. “I am going to go out with a bang by becoming undisputed champion. I am going to lay it all on the line.
“I knew another challenge would come along and I have got one now. I won’t be satisfied until I have got all the belts. That’s my goal and this is the first leg of it. I have to get past Clinton Woods to get closer to my goal.”

Status
Not open for further replies.