Working Holiday Visa Ideas for Black Women

KreepingOnDaLow

LSA's MOST GROANED (ENVIED)
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
Any recommendations for working holiday visa travel/expat arrangements?

I am looking to live about a a year out of the U.S. I would want to do this in between December 2019 and December 2020.I am willing to finance myself off savings as I want a new experience to live abroad and travel while young.

So far, I have my eye on Australia and New Zealand.

Any advice, cautionary tales, personal experiences, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Any recommendations for working holiday visa travel/expat arrangements?

I am looking to about a a year out of the U.S. I would want to do this in between December 2019 and December 2020.I am willing to finance myself off savings as I want a new experience to live abroad and travel while young.

So far, I have my eye on Australia and New Zealand.

Any advice, cautionary tales, personal experiences, or suggestions?

If you're interested in Ireland (and between 18-30) you can do their working holiday program. Here's the link. Good luck if you try it! Ireland is fun and I look forward to being able to go back.

Working holiday visas - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

KreepingOnDaLow

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
If you're interested in Ireland (and between 18-30) you can do their working holiday program. Here's the link. Good luck if you try it! Ireland is fun and I look forward to being able to go back.

Working holiday visas - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Hey love. How are Black American women received? How is the quality of life? I would want to spend no more than $1-2K monthly for rent,food, and transportation. Is there opportunity to work legally?

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Hey love. How are Black American women received? How is the quality of life? I would want to spend no more than $1-2K monthly for rent,food, and transportation. Is there opportunity to work legally?

Girl the whole point of being in the work visa program is to get authorization to work there legally. Did you not read what I posted? :disdain

Dublin can be expensive but I think on your budget you'll be fine. I found that the rides on the buses, even LOCAL trips were fairly high compared to what I'm used to here in America.

Most people might assume you're from Africa or something but when you start talking and they find out you're American then they get real chatty.

Good luck!

KreepingOnDaLow

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
Girl the whole point of being in the work visa program is to get authorization to work there legally. Did you not read what I posted? :disdain

Dublin can be expensive but I think on your budget you'll be fine. I found that the rides on the buses, even LOCAL trips were fairly high compared to what I'm used to here in America.

Most people might assume you're from Africa or something but when you start talking and they find out you're American then they get real chatty.

Good luck!
Lol. Sorry- I'm typing from my phone and meant to edit before you quoted me. I meant to ask how competitive is the job market there and what types of jobs do those on the visa typically get hired for?

Also, what prompted you to live there and for how long was your stay? Did you live there alone?

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Lol. Sorry- I'm typing from my phone and meant to edit before you quoted me. I meant to ask how competitive is the job market there and what types of jobs do those on the visa typically get hired for?

Also, what prompted you to live there and for how long was your stay? Did you live there alone?

I think your best bet is to call the closest Irish Consulate to your city and ask them about the job market. As it says on the website that it can be quite competitive. I think a lot of folks end up working in hospitality but you might be able to get something over there. Just do your research because it's been a few years since I've been there so there might be some changes that I'm unaware of.

It's a long story how I ended up over there but I enjoyed my time.

KreepingOnDaLow

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
I think your best bet is to call the closest Irish Consulate to your city and ask them about the job market. As it says on the website that it can be quite competitive. I think a lot of folks end up working in hospitality but you might be able to get something over there. Just do your research because it's been a few years since I've been there so there might be some changes that I'm unaware of.

It's a long story how I ended up over there but I enjoyed my time.
Ok- thank you.

Lauren SD

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,983 124 95
Alleybux
I'd recommend Ireland but you'd have to have graduated within the last 12 months to get the visa. Ireland has a pretty good job market, a couple of big cities to choose from and you'd be able to travel cheaply around Europe so it's the best place in my opinion to choose to go for a year. What did you study at university? Also if you like it so much you want to stay Ireland is very generous with work visas.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
I'd recommend Ireland but you'd have to have graduated within the last 12 months to get the visa. Ireland has a pretty good job market, a couple of big cities to choose from and you'd be able to travel cheaply around Europe so it's the best place in my opinion to choose to go for a year. What did you study at university? Also if you like it so much you want to stay Ireland is very generous with work visas.
Do you think Americans have an easy time getting a work visa there? Seems like it would be easier for EU citizens but I guess they don't have the same paperwork that they have to go through because they can automatically work in any EU country right?

KreepingOnDaLow

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
Hey lady. I studied business and work with computers as a business/ systems/ data analyst and I am planning to obtain a masters within the next 3 years but I just need to figure out what I want to study.

I am willing to enroll in school toward residency. For some reason- I really want to live in Australia, specifically Queensland within the next 2 years- (it's really easy to get the visa and no enrollment or degree is required) but I can also do a working holiday visa in Ireland or other countries where they're offered.I just need more insight based on personal experiences of how living in other countries has been for other young Black women.

I want to spend the rest of my 20s abroad and traveling so I am just planning ahead. I want to move December 2019 or Jan 2020.I am planning a trip to Dublin for St Pats so I will check it out. I'm so ready to get out of the U.S. and gain international exposure. If you also have ideas on where to seek residency - please let me know. I am serious about living abroad long term after the 1 year visa expires. Western Europe, Canada, and Ghana are my top places of interest so far. Cheers.

Lauren SD

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,983 124 95
Alleybux
Do you think Americans have an easy time getting a work visa there? Seems like it would be easier for EU citizens but I guess they don't have the same paperwork that they have to go through because they can automatically work in any EU country right?

Yeah so the way it works for us EU people is we can work anywhere in the EU without visa restrictions. But I do know a fair few Americans are heading to Ireland because jobs are willing to sponsor people. It's becoming a big business hub as well. I'd start looking at what jobs there are in your field over there and start applying. As an American you should be looked at favourably.

Lauren SD

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,983 124 95
Alleybux
Hey lady. I studied business and work with computers as a business/ systems/ data analyst and I am planning to obtain a masters within the next 3 years but I just need to figure out what I want to study.

I am willing to enroll in school toward residency. For some reason- I really want to live in Australia, specifically Queensland within the next 2 years- (it's really easy to get the visa and no enrollment or degree is required) but I can also do a working holiday visa in Ireland or other countries where they're offered.I just need more insight based on personal experiences of how living in other countries has been for other young Black women.

I want to spend the rest of my 20s abroad and traveling so I am just planning ahead. I want to move December 2019 or Jan 2020.I am planning a trip to Dublin for St Pats so I will check it out. I'm so ready to get out of the U.S. and gain international exposure. If you also have ideas on where to seek residency - please let me know. I am serious about living abroad long term after the 1 year visa expires. Western Europe, Canada, and Ghana are my top places of interest so far. Cheers.

You should definitely check out Dublin! I think with your skill set it will be easy for you to find an employer to sponsor you in Ireland as Dublin is a big tech hub so you're in luck. I know if you go to Ireland as a foreign student you can get an automatic 2 year work visa and it's easy to renew and eventually get citizenship.if you want Australia though go for it! I think the visa you're talking about is the 457 visa right? I'm not sure about the shortage skills list but I'm sure your skill set will slot in there. I've never lived in Ireland but I do know people who live in Dublin - ofc there's racism but it's a big city so they find it okay. A black American friend recently visited and she said she had one incident but once they hear she's American they tend to go away.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Yeah so the way it works for us EU people is we can work anywhere in the EU without visa restrictions. But I do know a fair few Americans are heading to Ireland because jobs are willing to sponsor people. It's becoming a big business hub as well. I'd start looking at what jobs there are in your field over there and start applying. As an American you should be looked at favourably.

Yeah that's interesting. Do you know how long it would take an American to become a citizen in Ireland? This Trump asshole got me itching to leave :disdain

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,484 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
You should definitely check out Dublin! I think with your skill set it will be easy for you to find an employer to sponsor you in Ireland as Dublin is a big tech hub so you're in luck. I know if you go to Ireland as a foreign student you can get an automatic 2 year work visa and it's easy to renew and eventually get citizenship.if you want Australia though go for it! I think the visa you're talking about is the 457 visa right? I'm not sure about the shortage skills list but I'm sure your skill set will slot in there. I've never lived in Ireland but I do know people who live in Dublin - ofc there's racism but it's a big city so they find it okay. A black American friend recently visited and she said she had one incident but once they hear she's American they tend to go away.
Yeah it's crazy how things change once they hear you're American LOL

Dublin is just too expensive though but I guess if that font was getting a decent salary she could manage but I dunno, seems like it would be too expensive otherwise.

Lauren SD

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,983 124 95
Alleybux
Yeah that's interesting. Do you know how long it would take an American to become a citizen in Ireland? This Trump asshole got me itching to leave :disdain

There's not a special rule for Americans and I'm not 100% clear but I think it's minimum 3 years of residency. lol I understand why you want to leave. You've been planning for a while now any luck?

KreepingOnDaLow

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,751 2,850 10,756
Alleybux
Ok now I definitely have to check out Ireland. And yes, that's the one I believe. If you are less than 30 years of age, you can apply for the visa (working holiday) and pay your fees and you have up to 12 months to enter the country and can stay there for a year. A year will fly by but this will be a must needed get away and a new experience to further challenge my independence so this is something that I really want but I want legal perm residency/citizenship in another country even more. I'm ready to build (family, business, house), and that's not something I would want to do in America, not until all this hatred and bigotry dies down.