World's oldest balloon is still inflated after nearly 30 years

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,148 274,744 8,222
Alleybux

World's oldest balloon is still inflated nearly 30 years after grandmother bought it to mark her grandson's birth​

• Ryan Harrison, 28, was given balloon from grandmother Josephine, 82, in 1992
  • The inflatable features a picture of a bear and is from brand Forever Friends
  • Balloon was re-discovered when his parents were trawling through old boxes
A grandson believes he has the world's oldest fully-inflated balloon after his grandmother gave it to him to celebrate his birth nearly 30 years ago.

Ryan Harrison, 28, was given the foil 'It’s a Boy' balloon from his grandmother Josephine, now 82, when he was born in Oxford in 1992.

The inflatable - which features a picture of a bear and is designed by brand Forever Friends - was re-discovered when his parents were trawling through old boxes.

Mr Harrison - who is the boss of a car detailing firm - told The Sun: 'I have taped it up to stop anything from happening to it. I’m hoping it can get to my 50th birthday.'

Ryan Harrison, 28, was given the foil 'It’s a Boy' balloon from his grandmother Josephine, now 82, (pictured together) when he was born in Oxford in 1992

Ryan Harrison, 28, was given the foil 'It’s a Boy' balloon from his grandmother Josephine, now 82, (pictured together) when he was born in Oxford in 1992

Mr Harrison as a baby with his grandmother Josephine. Josephine gave the balloon as a gift when he was born

Mr Harrison as a baby with his grandmother Josephine. Josephine gave the balloon as a gift when he was born

His find has overtaken what was previously dubbed the oldest balloon, which had remained inflated for 26 years.

Jordan Lynam, from Birmingham, previously held the title after his balloon - which was also given as a gift to mark his birth - remained inflated through three house moves and countless cigarette ends being dropped on it.

In 2013, Shaun and Lisa Cunliffe discovered a balloon given to her daughter Jessica when she was born in 1995 - meaning it remained inflated for 18 years.

The circular silver balloon had a teddy bear printed on the front with the message: 'It's a GIRL!'.

The inflatable - which features a picture of a bear and is designed by brand Forever Friends - was re-discovered when his parents were trawling through old boxes. Pictured: Mr Harrison with the balloon

The inflatable - which features a picture of a bear and is designed by brand Forever Friends - was re-discovered when his parents were trawling through old boxes. Pictured: Mr Harrison with the balloon

Mr Harrison - who is the boss of a car detailing firm - told The Sun : 'I have taped it up to stop anything from happening to it. I’m hoping it can get to my 50th birthday.' Pictured: The balloon

Mr Harrison - who is the boss of a car detailing firm - told The Sun : 'I have taped it up to stop anything from happening to it. I’m hoping it can get to my 50th birthday.' Pictured: The balloon

The balloon was carefully packed away in a toy box and stored in a cupboard along with the cards and gifts and was not opened until Jessica reached her 18th birthday.

They said at the time: 'I don't think it was a helium balloon because it never floated up to the ceiling, but whatever is in it the balloon has kept its shape all these years.

'When Jessica was about to have her 18th birthday we got it out again and we found a picture of her with it when she was born.

'It's been a lovely thing to keep and it is still fully inflated and hopefully we can keep it and if Jessica ever has a little girl of her own it would be nice for her to have it.'

Save Me

2024 is my year ✨
Reaction score
Reactions
75,686 1,529 508
Alleybux
that’s pretty cool, hope it can stay inflated until his 50th like he wants​

LavenderLush

Anti-Captalism Marxist-Leninist- Activist
Reaction score
Reactions
12,798 255 222
Alleybux
Balloons are so bad for the earth / environment, They NEVER Decompose at all...!!! , It's a huge issue everyone should be talking about in mainstream media or in the news channels

AquaPlant

Jay-Z's Wig Needs Some Cécred
Reaction score
Reactions
22,975 1,627 760
Alleybux
Balloons are so bad for the earth / environment, They NEVER Decompose at all...!!! , It's a huge issue everyone should be talking about in mainstream media or in the news channels

Exactly! It's infuriating!

1620583052964.png

1620583143710.png

Balloons don't decompose and they are utterly useless. How do they improve your life / your party really? Say no to balloons!

GoshDarnIt

Mrs. Gonzalez - Gangsta Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
42,625 1,523 622
Alleybux
He couldn't change out of his work shirt for a photo with his granny?

cute story I guess lol