Worst countries for black travelers

GiannaCubana

I’m not apologizing for being funny.
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
67,536 454 667
Alleybux
I want to add South Korea! I have a friend who is there and she said nobody sits by her on the subway, people flip her off, give her dirty looks, she has been roofied and she was straight up told by a guy he stopped talking to her because she was black. Not to mention it’s just not an open or friendly culture.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,913 175 110
Alleybux
The only country I've consistently heard bad things about is Spain tbh.

I honestly feel like people's "bad experiences" are tied to their own bad behavior and not following social mores in new countries. Many countries are not going to be tolerant to the American disposition. And rightfully so. Social media has made this entirely worse.

When in Rome....
I have lived in Spain all my life there is racism here depending of where you travel , one thing about Spanish people is that most of them don't speak other languages so when traveling here try to learn a little bit of Spanish when they notice you speak their language their approach changes

Reaction score
Reactions
3,913 175 110
Alleybux
I personally had a blast in Portugal. Saw many other black people when I was in Lisbon, everyone was friendly and I didn't get weird vibes from anybody. Very beautiful country too.
Yes I love Lisbon too super nice never felt awkward

Sherifmn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,836 27,555 4,461
Alleybux
I've been to 82 countries and have never felt mistreated because I was Black. If you going around looking for racism, it will certainly find you.

chelley

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,836 1,266 1,292
Alleybux
I've been to 82 countries and have never felt mistreated because I was Black. If you going around looking for racism, it will certainly find you.

I agree to a certain extent. There are so many conflicting accounts of which countries are best vs worst because everyone's experience is different. Some people rave about Morocco, India, and Italy while others trash it. I've experienced more racism and microaggressions in the US more than anywhere else. I encourage others to put fear aside and travel. Make your own experiences abroad. Go with an open mind.

XR77910

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
51,295 1,686 1,150
Alleybux

I honestly feel like people's "bad experiences" are tied to their own bad behavior and not following social mores in new countries. Many countries are not going to be tolerant to the American disposition. And rightfully so. Social media has made this entirely worse.

When in Rome....
Not true. Sometimes it has nothing to do with your behavior but preconceived stereotypes about your behavior. Of all the places I have traveled, Spain was the absolute worst. I felt like I was in early 1960's US, when segregation was just being terminated. Went into a restaurant, they sat us in the back and the manager stood very close to us from the start of our meal until we paid. Checked into a hotel, they put us where the front desk clerk could see us coming and going and also tried to keep our passports. Cab driver ripped us off by telling us that the streets that led to the ports were closed off and he had to go the long way. That was the first country I went to where the immigrants went out of their way to be friendly, probably because they knew the natives wouldn't be.

As for Italy and France, in France the only people I experienced racism from were the immigrants, usually Middle Eastern and Indian. The Indian men were never rude, but the women are pretty much nasty wherever you run into them. In Italy, the only people who gave me a hard time were the African immigrants in Naples. They were very hostile.

Last edited:

O Bryan

80s Himbo
Reaction score
Reactions
45,856 2,869 3,629
Alleybux
Not true. Sometimes it has nothing to do with your behavior but preconceived stereotypes about your behavior. Of all the places I have traveled, Spain was the absolute worst. I felt like I was in early 1960's US, when segregation was just being terminated. Went into a restaurant, they sat us in the back and the manager stood very close to us from the start of our meal until we paid. Checked into a hotel, they put us where the front desk clerk could see us coming and going and also tried to keep our passports. Cab driver ripped us off by telling us that the streets that led to the ports were closed off and he had to go the long way. That was the first country I went to where the immigrants went out of their way to be friendly, probably because they knew the natives wouldn't be.

As for Italy and France, in France the only people I experienced racism from were the immigrants, usually Middle Eastern and Indian. The Indian men were never rude, but the women are pretty much nasty wherever you run into them. In Italy, the only people who gave me a hard time were the African immigrants in Naples. They were very hostile.

Everyone complains about Spain. That's one place I have no desire to visit. I'd always do research and ask fellow travelers about their experience.

But other than that, I standby what I said. I can't say that I've been mistreated abroad because of my skin color. People may have acted weird because I wasn't following social mores but never in a way that deters me from traveling or writing off an entire country of people.

Sherifmn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,836 27,555 4,461
Alleybux
Do you look for racism in the US? Because it certainly manages to find you.

If you are repeatedly having "racist" experiences that says more about you than the place. Alot of black travelers project their experiences with racism in the US onto everything. Most of the stuff you are saying is "racist" is standard tourist scams that everyone experiences.

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
Everyone complains about Spain. That's one place I have no desire to visit. I'd always do research and ask fellow travelers about their experience.

But other than that, I standby what I said. I can't say that I've been mistreated abroad because of my skin color. People may have acted weird because I wasn't following social mores but never in a way that deters me from traveling or writing off an entire country of people.
Well, not everyone...I went to Barcelona, Spain and I didn't experience any racism. No one was particularly friendly or rude, but I find Europeans not to be friendly people in general. The only exception is when I went to Iceland, the people were friendly. Also, Germany we encountered some nice people. Had a older dude take time to help us with getting our train tickets. Also, the bartender at the hotel gave me free drinks for my birthday.

Noseyheux22

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
26,743 1,036 1,190
Alleybux
My husband and I (both black) visited Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia in 2019, and Japan in 2018, all 4 were amazing. Japan and Singapore stood out as very welcoming, we engaged in conversations with locals, explored, people went out of their way to help us, everyone was at least polite if not generous and kind.

Occasionally we caught stares in Thailand and Indonesia, but usually it was out of curiosity. A few people asked for pictures with us. One lady took my picture unsolicited but she was a tourist with a Chinese group, not a local.

The thing that people commented on the most was us being American, and we got A LOT of questions about Donald Trump. In every single country, multiple times smh.
I wanna visit Singapore and try the food!!

XR77910

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
51,295 1,686 1,150
Alleybux
If you are repeatedly having "racist" experiences that says more about you than the place. Alot of black travelers project their experiences with racism in the US onto everything. Most of the stuff you are saying is "racist" is standard tourist scams that everyone experiences.
You fool, do you even know me or do you have a problem with reading comprehension? Where did I write that I have racist experiences wherever I go? Maybe you are projecting more than I am or you’re one of those people that loves to discount every experience others have had with racism until it affects you.

Last edited:

Sherifmn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,836 27,555 4,461
Alleybux
You fool, do you even know me or do you have a problem with reading comprehension? Where did I write that I have racist experiences wherever I go? Maybe you are projecting more than I am or you’re one of those people that loves to discount every experience others have had with racism until it affects you.
You are the one calling a taxi driver taking you for a long-haul "racist". They do that to everyone.

You are the one calling people not being bubbly friendly "racist". That is not Spanish (or European in general) culture.

You are the one saying the hotel wanting to keep your passport at check-in so they can register you with the authorities is "racist". That is not an unusual practice and they would have brought it back to you in like a 1/2 hour.

Your ignorance of their culture and bureaucracy does not make them "racist".

XR77910

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
51,295 1,686 1,150
Alleybux
You are the one calling a taxi driver taking you for a long-haul "racist". They do that to everyone.

You are the one calling people not being bubbly friendly "racist". That is not Spanish (or European in general) culture.

You are the one saying the hotel wanting to keep your passport at check-in so they can register you with the authorities is "racist". That is not an unusual practice and they would have brought it back to you in like a 1/2 hour.

Your ignorance of their culture and bureaucracy does not make them "racist".

Once again fool, where did I even use the word "bubbly"? Taxi driver's don't do that to everyone. None of the shipmates we spoke to had that experience. The hotel kept the passports for the length of our stay. YOUR ignorance of my experiences and your ASSumptions only show your ignorance. You think you are the only one who has traveled overseas extensively? I know what is normal and what isn't.

While you are fantasizing, I am doing. I'm the BLACK woman that can walk into an invitation only art show at the Jacquemart-Andre just because I ask....who are you again? Babies like you just play on the internet and think you know it all and you have no idea who you are actually playing with. Child, play with someone else.

Last edited:

Bubby90

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
281 20 38
Alleybux
Morocco. It was very bizarre. Solidified my dislike for Islam. The racism where was very different than other places I've been to. As long as your skin is pasty white you are fine. Other than that, you're treated like sh!t.

lfan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
50,406 1,063 62
Alleybux
Vietnam is good . I had fun . I wanted to go back but then covid happen. I have a thread on LSA somewhere , I posted a yr ago

It is dirt cheap . Learn basic --- hello - thank you -- goodbye ---how much?

The locals are mad cool . Strangely it felt like family . lol

They got damn good food so come with an appetite cause they be eating good.
Regarding the bolded, a lot of my trips in the past few pre-covid years have been all around Southeast Asia (I love temples and ruins), and as much as they are into trying to be pale-skinned what with them having a "whitening" version available for every freaking health and beauty product, and with me being Black, I still felt "at home" in that region in a way I don't in say Europe. Tons of brown-skinned Asians so you don't necessarily stand out due to skin color, wonderfully seasoned and spiced food everywhere (except Myanmar), and just really relaxed, warm vibes. I love it.

Duchess of Doom

Speak the truth even when is miffs the masses
Reaction score
Reactions
31,180 435 56
Alleybux

When in Rome....
Until Covid, we spent part of the winter in Spain and Gibralter.

Southern Spain's main beach resorts are very LGBTQ friendly. Not unusual to see couples holding hands out strolling. Torremolinos has gay bars, beach clubs, etc.

Americans can be a bit of an issue. There is still a naval station there and some of the people posted there can be best described as ugly Americans, they've fit the stereotypes when we've bumped into them out and about.

Southern Spain has been experiencing huge migrant problems. Ceuta in North Africa is seen as the gateway to the EU and has had a bad time recently with people trying to swim there. There has been boats landing on the beaches with undocumented young men. Most of the hustlers on the beach selling fake LV, YSL, Adidas are from Senegal and can be pretty aggressive in their sales pitches.

I figure if you act polite, don't be loud and look interested people are people.

Duchess of Doom

Speak the truth even when is miffs the masses
Reaction score
Reactions
31,180 435 56
Alleybux
Morocco. It was very bizarre. Solidified my dislike for Islam. The racism where was very different than other places I've been to. As long as your skin is pasty white you are fine. Other than that, you're treated like sh!t.
Tell that to my blue eyed, blond, German husband.

Money speaks in Morocco. He can be a tight wad and doesn't flash the cash