Quantcast

Would it be dumb to turn down a full tuition scholarship?

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
yes you would be foolish op. it seems like a good opportunity. And you want to let people and distance hold you back?

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,077 3,241 688
Alleybux
many of us feel the need to stay behind because of family and friends, you will regret it, just go OP.

Iced tea

Every thumbs down I get gives me an orgasm
Reaction score
Reactions
34,832 1,074 697
Alleybux
Of course it's not dumb because your friends and family can offer you better jobs that pay you 300 grand. Wait.. they can't? Yeah it's pretty fµck!ng stupid to turn down the scholarship.

PinkPancakes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,377 2,778 141
Alleybux
You'd be a fool to pass that up just cause you don't wanna be around white people. I've been living around white folks my whole life and it don't bother me. I'm sure you can come back and visit and vice versa plus it's only a few years. A year really is nothing. Blink and 5 yrs have already gone by. I'm sure you will find a network of friends if you put yourself out there.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
I'm already in the process of negotiating with other schools. However, this program is in the technically most advantageous location, and filled with recreational activities that best suit my personality. Plus it would be easy for me to date other young people who are well paid. And after graduating I would basically earn triple to quadruple my current salary.

My hesitancy solely comes from a place of fear.
I hope you are planning your move and taking advantage of this opportunity.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
They slam you with work, and you struggle to keep your head above water. EVERYONE struggles. It's normal. But most people start off focusing on trying to get through the readings, etc., and fail to make connections right away. So you don't yet know your colleagues, and you feel overwhelmed, and everyone tries to put a good face on it, which leaves *absolutely everyone* feeling that they are the only ones who are struggling to stay above water.

It can be a lot, and if someone struggles with self-esteem, anxiety, or depression, that can add to the emotional burden a person is carrying- Please understand, I ABSOLUTELY encourage people with mental health issues (I'm one of them) to go to school! It's just that I find giving people a heads up that this is normal actually helps people to prepare and handle the experience.

I strongly recommend making some time to get to know your new colleagues, maybe even start a weekly drinks group to get together and commiserate. It will help to know that others are also feeling slammed. I also recommend finding a volunteer opportunity in the community doing something that is not academic. Something where you have to show up for one or two hours a week, and talk to people who aren't in school. Something that contributes to the community. It really helps to detox, as otherwise there is a tendency to get academic tunnel vision. There is also this weird thing where academia can create this sort of white tower effect. Volunteering helps to keep a person grounded. Finding and keeping a physical exercise routine also helps a lot, as you will spend a lot of time reading and writing. You will need a way to blow off steam that is not alcohol (a depressant, major reason people experience depression when they start school- suddenly they are drinking alone every night while studying and not exercising enough).

Basically, begin by creating some outlets and support for yourself. You can do this, it is only for a couple of years. Good preparation at the outset makes all the difference though! Best of luck, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
This is great advice, volunteering, and creating an online network, even before you go.

Crystal221

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
47,266 461 106
Alleybux
I'm already in the process of negotiating with other schools. However, this program is in the technically most advantageous location, and filled with recreational activities that best suit my personality. Plus it would be easy for me to date other young people who are well paid. And after graduating I would basically earn triple to quadruple my current salary.

My hesitancy solely comes from a place of fear.

Then you should definitely take the scholarship. Otherwise, you will end up regretting letting your fear cause you to lose out on an amazing opportunity. Major life changes like this can be terrifying but the fear will eventually fade and it will be worth it in the end.

Frank Focean

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
57,546 2,808 1,570
Alleybux
I was recently awarded a full-tuition scholarship to attend a top ranked Master's program in the discipline I am transitioning over to. The gag is that I will have to move 2000+ miles away from my friends, family, and all of my support networks. Additionally, cost of living would be high and I'd be relocating to an extremely white city that is also a major hub for the industry I'm trying to break into.

Would I be foolish to turn down this opportunity?
take the scholarship and tell everybody goodbye love

definitely

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,323 168 297
Alleybux
I don’t think whether it’s foolish to turn it down is a question any of us can answer for you. I think the answer to that all depends on you: do you think you’ll regret it if you don’t?

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
Idk.
It depends if it is a decent school.
U have a dilemma if u got into much better schools.

I‘ve had friends who have gotten offered full tuition to lesser schools but also got into great schools (Ivy League) but without the scholarship.
One friends felt pressured to take the full tuition but she was disappointed she didn’t go to the Ivy League.
I don’t blame her. I think even full tuition is great BUT an ivy degree pays for itself compared to a school with no cache.

As far as distance u could always try it and if u hate it - transfer somewhere back closer to home.

I had friends that went far away and honestly most of them hated it.

EnjoyLife

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
748 15 2
Alleybux
Weigh the pros/cons and think about what’s best for you and only you.

I turned down a $80,000 4 yr scholarship almost 4 yrs ago after I got out of hs. The school even offered it to me again the yr after and I still didn’t go.

It turned out for the best though because what held me back from going turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I even have the option to go to school completely free/no student loans to get up to my masters now so it wasn’t dumb for me. People thought I was dumb back then though lol but now they’re shook.

jexterBobNix

Princess Mix-a-Lot
Reaction score
Reactions
2,087 452 75
Alleybux
How much do you estimate it will cost you to live there for 1-2 years? $15,000? $25,000? Two years at $25,000 for each year means you will have a loan balance of $50,000 (if you are not working and have no income coming nin and will have to borrow the amount it will cost you to exist) at graduation, which...isn't bad, actually, especially if graduates in your field of study are able to qualify for well-paying jobs after..

Lemontart

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,191 559 213
Alleybux
Is this a humble brag? Clearly you’ve had a professional goal in mind and pursued it. Now the ideal situation has become a reality - one that many people will never have - and you’re wondering if you should turn it down? It’s just 2 years. Relax.

babablkshp

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,174 876 317
Alleybux
unless they just don’t have the major you need, i would go and you can always transfer later if it doesn’t work out year 1/2.