Quantcast

Would Rihanna have succeeded in the 90s?

Would Rihanna have succeeded in the 90s?

• Yes

Votes: 73 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 163 52.1%
  • Who knows

Votes: 77 24.6%

• Total voters

Frank Focean

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
57,554 2,808 1,570
Alleybux
Would she be as popular and successful in the 90s?
(no shade just curious)
There was a lot of competition in the 90s compared to the mid 2000s.
nope in the 90's the bar was very high. if you didn't have any viable talent, then you weren't making it. they woulda took Rih's demo and threw it in the trash without a second thought

IdaBDamn

Currban on Currban
Reaction score
Reactions
131,830 11,192 830
Alleybux
I'll give you one example from TLC, there are many more but the rest you can look up, google is free.

T-Boz was/is battling her sickle cell condition and numerous health problems but still put on a show like this, so what is rihanna's excuse? She would have been out of breath in the first 5 seconds, please. All those artists mentioned are way more talented than rihanna, more charismatic, showed enthusiasm in their craft and deserved their careers. End of.

Wonderful. Is this the defining moment in their careers? Was this a hit? Again, nobody talks about TLC’s performances. Videos? Yes. Style? Yes. Music? Absolutely. Performances? No. Is that not Rihanna’s formula to success? Music, videos, style, personality. And yet again the 90s would have made room for those “way more charaismatic and talented” (in your opinion) than Rihanna and her.

All you had to say was that you don’t prefer her and kept your quote. It is silly to think that she wouldn’t have made it in the 90s during a time when there were MANY successful Black acts.

Last edited:

Penny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,122 2,120 1,683
Alleybux
90s was more pure vocal Pop-R&B which Rhianna doesn't have the vocals for. Who would've been her big producer pushing her? Certainly not Babyface or DarkChild or anything like that...I think her time period fits her, visual > vocal by the time she came out.

Penny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,122 2,120 1,683
Alleybux
Girl, spare the "i love Rih but". You're not a fan. Where the 90s was about pure talent when they had artist who couldn't sing live? If Madonna could have a career while not being the best/a great vocalist, why can't she ? And Rihanna did improve on top of that

Madonna is white.

I say no because it was hard for black artists to be marketed in the 'pop' category unless you were Michael and I don't see who would've been the big push behind her for R&B or pop R&B either. Certainly not Clive or Face or LA... Quincy? I doubt it..if Tamia is out, he's going to go with her IMO... Also she's good at picking hits for today that fit her, but the 90s music style was different and so were the musical arrangements, I think she would've had less to pick from to even curate a fraction the number of hits she has today. But I also feel like that for majority of the artist out today so...

MamasGunnn0001

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,538 825 455
Alleybux
The 90s was loaded with vocal talent and stage presence. Rih is cool but she has neither. Aaliyah had it locked down with the style, Janet out performed just about everyone and the new emerging artists had vocals for days. Rih would not have survived the 90s bc people were brutal lol they clowned you and forgot about you. The internet has saved MANY of these artists relevancy tbh. Back then there was no social media so you had better come with the fire. This doesn’t mean Rihanna doesn’t make fire music, she just doesn’t have the vocals Or stage presence as some other artists.

I mean let’s be realistic, the 90s was Tupac, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston era. That sht was literally the era of legends.

AngelJ

**** GANG GANG
Reaction score
Reactions
59,532 3,069 1,766
Alleybux
90s was more pure vocal Pop-R&B which Rhianna doesn't have the vocals for. Who would've been her big producer pushing her? Certainly not Babyface or DarkChild or anything like that...I think her time period fits her, visual > vocal by the time she came out.

Careful what you say in here girl even if you know what the industry was like. You are in a thread filled with Rihanna's stans. This is the most groans I have ever received in any thread. They will attack you.

AngelJ

**** GANG GANG
Reaction score
Reactions
59,532 3,069 1,766
Alleybux
I have a question for people who think Rihanna would be famous in the 90's when singing requirements were different back in the day. Do you think these mumble rappers will be famous in the 90's when rapping require you to be lyrical and make sense? Different requirements for different eras.

ANTIUSERNAME

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
127,645 11,233 14,342
Alleybux
Madonna is white.

I say no because it was hard for black artists to be marketed in the 'pop' category unless you were Michael and I don't see who would've been the big push behind her for R&B or pop R&B either. Certainly not Clive or Face or LA... Quincy? I doubt it..if Tamia is out, he's going to go with her IMO... Also she's good at picking hits for today that fit her, but the 90s music style was different and so were the musical arrangements, I think she would've had less to pick from to even curate a fraction the number of hits she has today. But I also feel like that for majority of the artist out today so...
And Janet is Black and wasn't the best vocalist. Y'all disgusting

They there were Black pop stars back then aside of MJ. I'm sure Rihanna would have done wonderful in rock, dance, reggae and Dancehall. Like you all need to give it up. The 90s wasn't all about singing abilities.
And all of these singers who were singing like y'all are trying to project

Edit: do no quote me again with your vocals sh!t and all of your requirements. They all have been debunked and y'all have yet to prove anyone wrong without insulting them and making up lies.

Last edited:

Andenam

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,551 232 411
Alleybux
Britney couldn't sing, and she did fine. But Britney also gave moves and starpower. Rihanna never tried to be the one busting a move.

banksy212

Triggering fonts like fleas on a Cl*t,
Reaction score
Reactions
99,401 6,186 2,313
Alleybux
Rihanna would have made it as a pop star in the 90s.

People have selection biases when it comes to the 90s.

spice girls are not the best vocalists but we’re prominent.

TLC chilli doesn’t have the best voice but was apart of a best selling group.

Akimbo

Cheverly Remembrance Week: April 15-21
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
332,797 20,849 4,111
Alleybux

You just named two groups, not solo acts.

AngelJ

**** GANG GANG
Reaction score
Reactions
59,532 3,069 1,766
Alleybux

You're saying she will make it in a group in the 90's. Not as a solo artist? My girl Chilli from TLC can sing.

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
Oh, look who found their way into another Rihanna thread, and on the first page too.
Here you go again.

Look, since you really want to run with the narrative that I’m stalking this forum.

Ask yourself this, I supposedly “follow this forum” yet these two threads are the only ones I’ve been in for months. In fact, there’s no consistent record of me in the forum since 2019. Yet one of you claimed in the Beyoncé forum the other day that forehead has drag threads made on her regularly. If that’s the truth. Why would I have not been there to participate in those threads, if I follow the forum?

It’s because I don’t.

Use your brain. This was moved.

It’s like you’re new and don’t understand the concept of threads being moved to different forums.

Look at the first page. Aside from the 2 hive and 1 navy, it’s a mix of fonts. That’s because it was in one of the general sections, Einstein. If this was made in this section there would be wayyyy of you on the frontlines to cape with that tired genuine relatable argument.

But You really want bad for me to be stuntin y’all. If you so desperately need my acknowledgment so you can feel important than gon’ head.

I won’t even argue about it. People up ahead who arrived first can attest to you where it was first made.

Next time, I’ll screenshot the forum section so you can stop sucking me.

Yonce PR

Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
Why is @Justheretogiveandtaketea on time out?? :unsure::unsure: They keep moving all of these threads to the Rihanna forum after people have commented and y'all act like fonts are trolling smh I can't.
A moderator moved your 15% thread to the world billionaires thread. It then made my comments look off-topic so me and a few others went on time out.

Exactly. This was created in a general section and you can tell by the honest responses on the first page. We could never get that in the forehead forum which is probably why the OP didn’t post it there.

The audacity to arrive to a thread late then try to tell everyone else what happened.

I barely go into this person threads, let alone follow her forum. I was in rare form the other day and it was due to the constant false narratives their crew was cooking up in our Beyoncé forum these past weeks.

It must be their guilty conscious from stalking us all day that has them tripping out.

Woo

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,129 106 39
Alleybux
Yes, and I say that because of Rihanna’s versatility. She can do rock, pop, R&B, country.

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,227 3,377 785
Alleybux
HELLLLL NAWWWW

you had to actually be able to BLOW and dance back then

She wouldbe been up against literally the divas (whitney, anita baker, mariah carey and everyone in between)

Even worse she Wouldve been up against Mariah the black mans fantasy (eyeroll) who could sing her ass off and had features outta this world

Nope Rhianna Wouldve never made it past LA Reid or Clive Davis...Tierra Marie mightve..but thats another story in itself

Nope RhiRhi would still be doing local talent shows in tattered clothes and her swoopbang in BARBADOS honey

They didnt play with or about the girls back then

Hell Ion even think Missy Elliot Wouldve wasted a beat on her ass lmao
Teairra definitely would’ve. If anything I think she woulda had a better chance if she came out a little earlier. Teairra’s voice was much stronger than the music she did displayed

BlueGossip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,334 2,046 2,921
Alleybux
Madonna is white.

This is the dumbest take ever.
If she has an ear for a hit for its time why would the 90s be different?

BlueGossip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,334 2,046 2,921
Alleybux
Here you go again.

Look, since you really want to run with the narrative that I’m stalking this forum.

Ask yourself this, I supposedly “follow this forum” yet these two threads are the only ones I’ve been in for months. In fact, there’s no consistent record of me in the forum since 2019. Yet one of you claimed in the Beyoncé forum the other day that forehead has drag threads made on her regularly. If that’s the truth. Why would I have not been there to participate in those threads, if I follow the forum?

It’s because I don’t.

Use your brain. This was moved.

It’s like you’re new and don’t understand the concept of threads being moved to different forums.

Look at the first page. Aside from the 2 hive and 1 navy, it’s a mix of fonts. That’s because it was in one of the general sections, Einstein. If this was made in this section there would be wayyyy of you on the frontlines to cape with that tired genuine relatable argument.

But You really want bad for me to be stuntin y’all. If you so desperately need my acknowledgment so you can feel important than gon’ head.

I won’t even argue about it. People up ahead who arrived first can attest to you where it was first made.

Next time, I’ll screenshot the forum section so you can stop sucking me.
You hate rihanna but are always in her thread.... Why are you here at all?

Last edited:

BlueGossip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,334 2,046 2,921
Alleybux
I have a question for people who think Rihanna would be famous in the 90's when singing requirements were different back in the day. Do you think these mumble rappers will be famous in the 90's when rapping require you to be lyrical and make sense? Different requirements for different eras.
Mumble rappers are a product of their time. Obviously they wouldn't be mumbling in the 90s and most.

Singing requirements weren't different. Rihanna can sing 90% of the R&B songs that all those R&B girls were putting out.

Her voice will be as pleasant as it is today.

BlueGossip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,334 2,046 2,921
Alleybux
probably not. black male artists aren’t as marketable and to be fair, his scandals and the court cases would have killed his career.
This is why I find these kinds of questions so stupid.
They want to take an artist from their era and judge their existing material to the material of the foreign era.

Do they really think Rih will be sing We found love in the 90s or that she would be marketed the same way? Of course not. She would be more in line with the era as it was.

Yonce PR

Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
You hate rihanna but are always in her thread.... Why are you here at all?
False, I am not always in her threads.
There’s no consistent evidence of me these swamps since ‘19.

Before that time I was actually pretty indifferent to forehead. I didn’t follow this forum then either but If I saw a thread trending I would enter and compliment or congratulate.

As time progressed I decided she wasn’t for me. You can literally see the evolution of my comments becoming less and less favorable each time I entered a thread; and since then I have avoided this forum and most threads of her since.

But after the constant taunting false narrative threads coming from your camp I decided to engage in some well deserved pettiness. :giggle:

Why am I here at all? Oh honey, you really do not want to go down that road.:LOL:
You know what? Same reason most of you forehead crew enter our threads and stalk our forum.;)

Last edited:

BlueGossip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,334 2,046 2,921
Alleybux
False, I am not always in her threads.
There’s no consistent evidence of me these swamps since ‘19.

Before that time I was actually pretty indifferent to forehead. I didn’t follow this forum then either but If I saw a thread trending I would enter and compliment or congratulate.

As time progressed I decided she wasn’t for me. You can literally see the evolution of my comments becoming less and less favorable each time I entered a thread; and since then I have avoided this forum and most threads of her since.

But after the constant taunting false narrative threads coming from your camp I decided to engage in some well deserved pettiness. :giggle:

Why am I here at all? Oh honey, you really do not want to go down that road.:LOL:
You know what? Same reason most of you forehead crew enter our threads and stalk our forum.;)
Why are you here?

Yonce PR

Reaction score
Reactions
196,432 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
Because you can't, not reply?

Why you here?
I had stopped engagement days ago.

You are the one who quoted me again asking for my attention and now when I grant your wish you want to play reverse psychology like I’m chasing y’all? Girl..
tenor.gif

Last edited: