Quantcast

Writers Block Random Thoughts

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,159 600 83
Alleybux
With all the thinking and overthinking that writers do, I'm surprised this forum doesn't already have a random thoughts thread.

Feel free to post all your writing related thoughts - the highs, the lows, the inbetweens, the plateaus. They're all welcome.

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,159 600 83
Alleybux
I've finally got a plot after struggling to piece together a couple ideas I want to explore.

But now I'm scared to actually write. I think my subconscious remembers all the times I've been sat here like:

200.gif

Just wondering why I'm writing so much sh!t.

So, now I'm here procrastinating, googling how to outline and develop characters when I know I just need to start.

source.gif

Camerie160

All Things Canadian!
Reaction score
Reactions
46,234 731 128
Alleybux
With all the thinking and overthinking that writers do, I'm surprised this forum doesn't already have a random thoughts thread.

Feel free to post all your writing related thoughts - the highs, the lows, the inbetweens, the plateaus. They're all welcome.
The last time I posted and asked a question in one of these writers threads someone damn bit my head off. LOL.eeksad And it was a legitimate question. I understand that some FONTs don't like newcomers but daaaayum. How can you have a decent forum if the smallest things annoy you? I believe if someone asks what may be a stupid question...why not just pretend you didn't see the question and STFU? And better yet put the person on ignore just in case they may ask another stupid question. LOL. smh. I guess it takes all kinds in this world though. :whistle:

hotcheri

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,633 99 5
Alleybux
I've finally got a plot after struggling to piece together a couple ideas I want to explore.

But now I'm scared to actually write. I think my subconscious remembers all the times I've been sat here like:

200.gif

So, now I'm here procrastinating, googling how to outline and develop characters when I know I just need to start.

source.gif

I feel you on this so much! This is exactly what I'm going through right now, and I don't even want to start writing even though I think about my plot and characters daily. I've also started writing pieces of my characters dialogue in a notebook I have, and I'll read it over and think to myself 'this is really good,' but as soon as I inch towards my laptop to write the first chapter, I freeze up. Writers block sucks, I hate it here :cry:

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,859 1,064 802
Alleybux

They put them in Xes

Da_Fuqqq

#BLACKGIRLMAGIC
Reaction score
Reactions
47,275 1,413 445
Alleybux

200.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

Da_Fuqqq

#BLACKGIRLMAGIC
Reaction score
Reactions
47,275 1,413 445
Alleybux
i have a whole story in my head but some reason i cannot put in on paper. I have a lot of stories where ive tried and get bored or blocked

Adalene

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,583 2,794 1,289
Alleybux
I get stuck in the research. I don’t have a problem getting started because I see most of the story in my head. But research will have me pouring over the story at the details lol.

Also starting so many stories, and then placing it on the back burner when I hit a block and then starting another story. :swoon

Adalene

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,583 2,794 1,289
Alleybux
I get stuck in “learning,” to be a better storyteller and I took a webinar (hehe) and the instructor specifically said that new writers get stuck in the learning and use it as a block. The recommendation is to read, read, read. Write,write, write. Then learn. It’s true. When you hit a block, buy or download a new book to read.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
I've put off my novel to focus on poetry but that's just an excuse because I can't write out the simplest of scenes in my novel

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
On the bright side I'm very happy I made my debut as an author with my poetry, I'm sure everything will fall into place for me and I'll have a debut novel for a fantastic series.

I'm excited for my career as a writer, ofc it's a slow burn in the start but I feel like it'll pick up steam. I have a poetry project I want to release late January/Early February and I'm planning my first blog on my website, so I'm having a lot of fun with it.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
My hesitation to write has even extended to writing emails :neutral

I've put off writing this email to my friend's editing company for like a week now. I just wanted to know if they edit blogs too, but just this morning I mustered up the courage to send it and find the words for it.

Idk why that was lol.

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,159 600 83
Alleybux
I've put off writing this email to my friend's editing company for like a week now. I just wanted to know if they edit blogs too, but just this morning I mustered up the courage to send it and find the words for it.

Idk why that was lol.

I saw your other thread so I'm guessing you've got your website running now? Congrats if you have and on sending that email lol.

MrsSamCooke

From the moonlit wilds
Reaction score
Reactions
28,073 1,040 98
Alleybux
I'm feeling stoked as far as working on my next (and second) novel is concerned. I've been feeling the particular ambience of it, feeling my protagonist more (the book is being written in the first person) and, just recently, I wrote some new material for it. It has been months since I last did this, but it's material I'm pleased with. Some new ideas involving my character's background have also sprung forth in the past few weeks. This book requires ample research which further fuels my desire to write.

However, I've had two issues (one since resolved and the other not). My first issue is that I've just been quite busy with things outside of my creative writing - many of them mandatory. I'm hoping - and believing - that things will quiet down for the fall and winter and I'll have more time to write. I also have multiple short story ideas which have been budding inside my head. It's time to let them go to full flower outside of it. Then there is a half-finished other novel of mine which needs a substantial rewrite. I started working on it many years ago and no longer write that way. I guess both my voice and 'wordsmithery' have evolved that much.

My other issue is that my husband has been commandeering computer and workspace more and more for work. In being tired of every man I've ever known being a space-hog (including him). I insisted he get his own second desk and borrow yet another computer from work (since he has three going now - one which is his and the other which are on loan - plus extra monitors). I told him if he didn't that I would unleash the wrath of my (dark, psychopathic) protagonist on him. :sneaky:Of course, I was kidding (mostly:wink7), but it worked.

Last edited:

PurpleKiisses

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
375 3
Alleybux
Lately I've been feeling like I'm no longer passionate about writing anymore. Nothing I write gives me "that feeling" anymore, and it makes me sad. I'm praying that I regain my love for writing, because it truly did make me happy once upon a time.

Nutella

Single Guy of the Month
Reaction score
Reactions
148,543 6,964 1,088
Alleybux
Pitch Wars: I'm finding that a lot of the mentors are not a good match. 60% want romance. 50% of the remaining 40% want LGBTQIA or disabled voices. All the ones who want black voices want fantasy/magical realm content to try to replicate Children of Blood and Bone.

All the mentors are very left wing based on their wish lists, which suggests PW needs to put more effort into picking mentors that are diverse in thought. They clearly all watch the same shows because the same gifs are being used over and over again across each blog. And to be honest, the gifs are off putting and slows down the page loading. Many of them put down that they won't accept manuscripts with violence, xesual assault, animal or child abuse, which is tough when an applicants' manuscript is a murder mystery.

Also they need to be more stringent in who they choose to mentor. I came across about a dozen mentor pages of college sophomores who had a book out with a small or indie press. There were some young people who were agent assistants, which is fine because they read manuscripts all day but a freshie with no sales or accolades doesn't make a good mentor.

Needless to say, it was super easy for me to narrow down who to sub to.

Last edited:

RememberMeDifferent

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,467 70 3
Alleybux
:b41 I finally figured it out! I can't believe I'm actually staying disciplined, consistent and motivated. Like I'm really doing this! I'm really writing my first novel.:b41

What I learned from this:

1. When you have a block, it's come back in a day or two with fresh eyes to reassess.
2. Sometimes what you think is going to work without a doubt will not work out! Don't be afraid to humble yourself and go back to the drawing board.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
Had a meeting with my friend who has her own editing company! It was cool and I'm excited to work more with her. If you guys want to check her out her company is called tula.editing they have an ig page.

Last edited:

Berryme

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,672 2
Alleybux
I’m excited about my second book in my series. I’ve already named the last finally book in the series as well. I’m trying not to get discouraged because my other books aren’t selling. All the groups I’ve joined say you need to be active on social media to sell books and I’m just not that person. I actually hate social media and the over sharing people do on it. I’m really not an exciting person and I’m okay with that. So I don’t see what I could possible share on social media or how to keep them engaged. Thank you for making this thread. I’ve been needing to get this off my chest lol.

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,453 3,935 964
Alleybux
Ain't nothing worse than making a book series, but you haven't even finished the first book.

Two of my stories are supposed to have a sequel, prequel, and a spin-off, but for one of them I haven't even typed 'Chapter One'.

tenor.gif

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
I paid 30 bucks each for three promos on three of my post on IG. And while I did get hundreds of likes on two of them, I'm wondering if that translated well for sales. I check my reports on Amazon and it seemed during that week of promo no one ordered a book. Though I did find other black authors out there that followed me and I followed back but still no sales.

I'm hesitant on doing another promo for another 6 days. I don't want to waste anymore money if I'm not going to be making it back in sales.

I've also been trying to utilize every possible hash tag out there relating to writing and that still gets me little attention on IG and no attention on Tumblr.

I'm so confused on this whole marketing thing.

`Bella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,764 158 12
Alleybux
I paid 30 bucks each for three promos on three of my post on IG. And while I did get hundreds of likes on two of them, I'm wondering if that translated well for sales. I check my reports on Amazon and it seemed during that week of promo no one ordered a book. Though I did find other black authors out there that followed me and I followed back but still no sales.

I'm hesitant on doing another promo for another 6 days. I don't want to waste anymore money if I'm not going to be making it back in sales.

I've also been trying to utilize every possible hash tag out there relating to writing and that still gets me little attention on IG and no attention on Tumblr.

I'm so confused on this whole marketing thing.

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve read on the self-publish Reddit that IG is not a good place to market books. Most of the clicks will not translate to sales.

Have you tried Amazon ads? I just set up a campaign for my book but I’m not too sure if I did it right but it’s worth a shot.

I completely understand you. As a self-published author you have to wear many different hats and it’s difficult.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve read on the self-publish Reddit that IG is not a good place to market books. Most of the clicks will not translate to sales.

Have you tried Amazon ads? I just set up a campaign for my book but I’m not too sure if I did it right but it’s worth a shot.

I completely understand you. As a self-published author you have to wear many different hats and it’s difficult.

Thanks, I have tried Amazon ads, I remeber setting it up, but I never seen it take off but I did get an email saying I owe the .13 cents for ads lol so confused.

A Hiromi May

The Daydreamer
Reaction score
Reactions
51,192 624 51
Alleybux
I'll have no more excuses once I'm finished making this desk. Excited? Yes. Scared? Yes.

Normal Faces Matter

If I can’t scuba, then what’s this all been about?
Reaction score
Reactions
181,324 2,606 340
Alleybux
Writing a story from scratch is such an emotionally fulfilling yet exhausting process. One day, it feels like I’m making headway, then the next, I just want to erase everything and start over. Over it.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
Things have been feeling right atm. Maybe because I'm 2 months away from releasing my second poetry book, so I'm actively writing. I'm excited and I'm already thinking of the third poetry book

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
319,292 7,868 3,408
Alleybux
Reaching my daily targets has been a struggle. I am not finding the time in the day to just write.

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,453 3,935 964
Alleybux
I am almost done with one of my books and I created it when I was in the tenth grade. The writer's block really kills me and I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not I should write a chapter.

Electric Lady

Bayou Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
24,065 7 3
Alleybux
I have like 3 stories I want to put on paper. All drastically different. I write a chapter for one, and suddenly I want to visit another story and nurture the characters there. This must be what going crazy feels like lol

Electric Lady

Bayou Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
24,065 7 3
Alleybux
I know the pandemic has been hell for many people but being forcibly shut in has done wonders for my creativity. I always wanted writing to be my full time job. Now I can sort of live out that dream.

2epic4ya

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,740 200 98
Alleybux
Marketing is so frustrating, nothing I do works and everyone wants a to make a profit off you trying to "help" but I have yet to see any sales since getting this "help" from book reviewers.

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,159 600 83
Alleybux
Marketing is so frustrating, nothing I do works and everyone wants a to make a profit off you trying to "help" but I have yet to see any sales since getting this "help" from book reviewers.

Do you use a pen name? If you do, @vvena has a blog and does interviews for it. That might be something to consider. If you use your real name though, it'd probably be best not to for safety reasons. Too many people on this site are crazy and might try to work out who you are.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom