YA author Sarah Dessen (49) & her posse have breakdown after college student didn’t like her book

'I'm only taking what the man wants me to have.'
Reactions
86,288 3,533 3,319
Alleybux
Why do black women like to cape so hard for white women as if they would ever dream of ever extending you the same courtesy. Instead they would step on you and with scant regard sleep peacefully.

tenor.gif

Reactions
10,103 33 1
Alleybux
Great job putting this thread together OP, you came with receipts.

It's amazing how many buzz words they could fit into 140 characters. I saw mansplaining and meToo, and I still dgaf about this woman's hurt feelings at her big age. Our former first lady experienced much worse and she's doing just fine.

giphy.gif

Reactions
155,993 4,174 2,075
Alleybux
And why is Amanda trying to still defend Sarah? Girl, your book just released at the end of last month. Focus on selling copies! Because you were doing a terrible job promoting it and were hoping black women would buy it just because you're black.

Reactions
41,722 338 47
Alleybux
The fact that the very-real tweet by a guy (who, yes, actually did make sense) was written off as mansplaining is tiring. Twitter is garbage. Everyone thinks that just because they have a famous following or enough retweets, their opinions are fact.

Yikes at a lot of these YA authors and their egos, double yikes for these black authors bending over backwards to defend this (rich) woman’s white tears.

Reactions
155,993 4,174 2,075
Alleybux
The fact that the very-real tweet by a guy (who, yes, actually did make sense) was written off as mansplaining is tiring. Twitter is garbage. Everyone thinks that just because they have a famous following or enough retweets, their opinions are fact.

Yikes at a lot of these YA authors and their egos, double yikes for these black authors bending over backwards to defend this (rich) woman’s white tears.
I keep telling people about these fake wokes on Twitter. Glad none of my black authors faves were participating in the Twitter shenanigans.

Reactions
47,342 623 222
Alleybux
This is disappointing because some of the authors were on my tbr. I guess I'll have to reconsider reading their books.

In case anyone was wondering which authors supported her aside from the ones mentioned:

Stephanie Perkins
Rainbow Rowell (No surprises as she wrote a racist book called "Eleanor and Park" )
Victoria Aveyard (Another author with racist books )
Sarah Watson
Samantha Dunn
Adam Silvera
Megan McCafferty
Morgan Matson
Laurie Halse Anderson
KA Tucker
Meg Cabot (Yep, the same one of the Princess Diaries fame)
Alwym Hamilton (wrote a stereotyped book on Islamic culture Book Review | Rebel Of The Sands By Alwyn Hamilton)
Alyssa Day
Margaret Stohl
Jackson Pearce
Elizabeth May
Lex Croucher

All the above were white but there's also some non-white/non-black authors who also supported her.

Jenny Han ("To All the Boy I Loved Before")
Celeste Ng ("Little Fires Everywhere")
Renee Ahdieh (author is part Korean)("The Wrath & the Dawn")
Sabaa Tahir ("A Reaper At the Gates")

Heather Cocks and/or Jessica Morgan who expressed their support but later retracted when they were shown the reason.

Last edited:
Critical Thinker
Reactions
130,157 906 900
Alleybux
This story made the Washington Post.
A student opposed a YA novel for mandatory college reading. The backlash from famous authors was fierce.

By
Katie Shepherd
November 15, 2019 at 7:45 a.m. EST
When she was a junior at a small South Dakota college in 2016, Brooke Nelson joined a committee to pick the book incoming freshmen would be required to read. She had a goal, as she told the Aberdeen News earlier this week: opposing other Northern State University students who were pushing for a young adult novel by best-selling author Sarah Dessen.

“She’s fine for teen girls,” Nelson said. “But definitely not up to the level of Common Read. So I became involved simply so I could stop them from ever choosing Sarah Dessen.”

That quote in a local newspaper in a city with fewer than 30,000 residents has sparked a massive backlash from thousands of YA fans and multiple internationally best-selling authors after Dessen highlighted it on Twitter.

“Authors are real people,” Dessen wrote in a Tuesday tweet. “We put our heart and soul into the stories we write often because it is literally how we survive in this world. I’m having a really hard time right now and this is just mean and cruel. I hope it made you feel good.”

EJLbeRVW4AAfZCj

To Dessen’s defenders, including literary big names like Jodi Picoult and Roxane Gay, Nelson’s quote showed how teen girls’ experiences are marginalized and YA fiction is not given the respect it deserves.

“The underlying frustration is that teenage girls and their opinions and preferences are all too often demeaned and dismissed,” Gay told The Washington Post in an email. “For YA writers, whose audience is comprised of a significant number of young women, such disparagement hits close to home and, as you might expect, inspires defensiveness.”

But to Nelson and her friends, the response was far out of proportion to her quote — and note that she also helped guide the freshman class to read Bryan Stevenson’s “Just Mercy,” a memoir that unspools the story of a black man wrongly sentenced to death for a 1986 murder he didn’t commit.

“My quote was taken out of context,” Nelson said in an emailed statement to The Post, noting that in addition to Stevenson’s book she also argued for “Breath, Eyes, Memoryby Edwidge Danticat and “When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. “These three books are beautifully written and push readers to stand against the racial inequality that the judicial system perpetuates, to consider the heritability and influence of tradition and trauma, and to contemplate what brings meaning to one’s life.”

Dessen, who has landed on the New York Times Best Sellers list multiple times, won the Margaret A. Edwards Award for her “significant and lasting contribution" to young adult literature in 2017.

It’s unclear how Dessen, who lives in North Carolina, spotted the article in South Dakota. She did not immediately return a request for comment late Thursday. But on Tuesday morning, the 49-year-old author scribbled out Nelson’s name in an image of the Aberdeen News story and posted it for her more than 268,000 Twitter followers.

The backlash to Nelson was swift. By Friday morning, the post had 729 retweets and 2,500 replies. Many piled onto the 2017 college graduate, as other well-known authors joined the fray.

“F--- that f---ing b----” fellow author Siobhan Vivian replied to Dessen’s tweet, in a post that she later deleted but Jezebel saved in a screencap. Dessen responded: “I love you ❤️”.

Soon, other prominent authors with hundreds of thousands of followers piled on, including Gay, Picoult, Jennifer Weiner, Jenny Han and Angie Thomas. Even Penguin Teen, an imprint of Penguin Books USA, shared Dessen’s complaint, encouraging people to respond to it.

At the heart of the anger is a persistent feeling that young adult literature, and particularly YA books aimed at teenage girls, is treated less seriously than other genres. Many of the upset authors interpreted Nelson’s dismissal of Dessen’s work as a commentary on all authors who write for teen girls.

But Nelson’s supporters say the Twitter outrage missed some key facts, including that the university book selections are chosen annually by a large volunteer committee of current students. In her junior year, Nelson was just one vote on that committee.

Also, Northern State University has selected young adult literature in past years as its required reading for freshmen, including Thomas’s “The Hate U Give” and the science fiction novel “Ready Player One.”

upload_2019-11-15_10-9-53.png

Amid the enormous backlash, both Northern State University and the reporter who wrote the news story apologized to Dessen on Tuesday.

“I definitely didn’t mean to be cruel by including this quote,” reporter Katherine Grandstrand tweeted. “I am so sorry.”

In a lengthy Twitter thread, Northern State University distanced itself from Nelson, who graduated from the school in 2017.

“We are very sorry to @SarahDessen for the comments made in a news article by one of our alums in reference to our 2016 Common Read,” the school tweeted. “They do not reflect the views of the university or Common Read Committee.”

upload_2019-11-15_10-10-58.png

Meanwhile, many outraged fans found the original Aberdeen News story and learned Nelson’s name, piling onto her social media accounts. She soon deactivated her Twitter and Facebook pages.

In the days after the online pile-on, which was first reported by the Argus Leader and Jezebel, a second wave of online backlash has begun — this time aimed at the powerful writers who sparked the controversy.

“Very strange to watch a host of female authors pile on to show love to Sarah Dessen after Dessen threw a public hissy fit b/c [Nelson] offered some tepid criticism of her work,” tweeted Hillary Kelly, who writes about books and television. She engaged in a back-and-forth with Weiner and others who defended Dessen, questioning why they used their platform to go after a young woman without the same kind of influence.

You are novelists,” she wrote. “Facing (valid) criticism is part of the job.”

Others chided the authors for teaming up against an obscure graduate student with no public profile.

“A MILLIONAIRE dunking on a COLLEGE GIRL for not liking her work is the person who should be issuing an apology,” tweeted writer Carrie Courogen.

Some of the authors who supported Dessen said they didn’t know the young woman’s name had been made public and denounced the harassment Nelson received.

“I thought she was anonymous,” Gay told The Post. “People shouldn’t be harassing her. That’s unacceptable.”

Becca Simon, who studied with Nelson at Northern State University and worked with her at the school’s tutoring center, said she was shocked by the backlash against her former classmate. She was also puzzled by the university’s apology.

“I was totally not expecting a slew of best-selling authors to rally around her to shut down a college-grad they knew nothing about,” Simon told The Post in a Twitter direct message. “A university is supposed to foster intellectual diversity, not force all of its students to share an opinion about one author’s book. I don’t feel it was their place to get involved. This would imply that Northern has to apologize every single time a celebrity criticizes one of their students/alums, which quite frankly is ... strange.”

Nelson, for her part, said she hopes the controversy draws more people to read books that will encourage them to think critically about pressing social issues.

“If anything comes out of this larger conversation,” Nelson told The Post, “I hope it is that others will make it a point to read books like [“Just Mercy”] that push them beyond their usual perspective and challenge their assumptions of society.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ta-college-student-ya-novel-backlash-twitter/

Last edited:
Reactions
47,342 623 222
Alleybux
This story made the Washington Post.
A student opposed a YA novel for mandatory college reading. The backlash from famous authors was fierce.

By
Katie Shepherd
November 15, 2019 at 7:45 a.m. EST
When she was a junior at a small South Dakota college in 2016, Brooke Nelson joined a committee to pick the book incoming freshmen would be required to read. She had a goal, as she told the Aberdeen News earlier this week: opposing other Northern State University students who were pushing for a young adult novel by best-selling author Sarah Dessen.

“She’s fine for teen girls,” Nelson said. “But definitely not up to the level of Common Read. So I became involved simply so I could stop them from ever choosing Sarah Dessen.”

That quote in a local newspaper in a city with fewer than 30,000 residents has sparked a massive backlash from thousands of YA fans and multiple internationally best-selling authors after Dessen highlighted it on Twitter.

“Authors are real people,” Dessen wrote in a Tuesday tweet. “We put our heart and soul into the stories we write often because it is literally how we survive in this world. I’m having a really hard time right now and this is just mean and cruel. I hope it made you feel good.”

EJLbeRVW4AAfZCj

To Dessen’s defenders, including literary big names like Jodi Picoult and Roxane Gay, Nelson’s quote showed how teen girls’ experiences are marginalized and YA fiction is not given the respect it deserves.

“The underlying frustration is that teenage girls and their opinions and preferences are all too often demeaned and dismissed,” Gay told The Washington Post in an email. “For YA writers, whose audience is comprised of a significant number of young women, such disparagement hits close to home and, as you might expect, inspires defensiveness.”

But to Nelson and her friends, the response was far out of proportion to her quote — and note that she also helped guide the freshman class to read Bryan Stevenson’s “Just Mercy,” a memoir that unspools the story of a black man wrongly sentenced to death for a 1986 murder he didn’t commit.

“My quote was taken out of context,” Nelson said in an emailed statement to The Post, noting that in addition to Stevenson’s book she also argued for “Breath, Eyes, Memoryby Edwidge Danticat and “When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. “These three books are beautifully written and push readers to stand against the racial inequality that the judicial system perpetuates, to consider the heritability and influence of tradition and trauma, and to contemplate what brings meaning to one’s life.”

Dessen, who has landed on the New York Times Best Sellers list multiple times, won the Margaret A. Edwards Award for her “significant and lasting contribution" to young adult literature in 2017.

It’s unclear how Dessen, who lives in North Carolina, spotted the article in South Dakota. She did not immediately return a request for comment late Thursday. But on Tuesday morning, the 49-year-old author scribbled out Nelson’s name in an image of the Aberdeen News story and posted it for her more than 268,000 Twitter followers.

The backlash to Nelson was swift. By Friday morning, the post had 729 retweets and 2,500 replies. Many piled onto the 2017 college graduate, as other well-known authors joined the fray.

“F--- that f---ing b----” fellow author Siobhan Vivian replied to Dessen’s tweet, in a post that she later deleted but Jezebel saved in a screencap. Dessen responded: “I love you ❤️”.

Soon, other prominent authors with hundreds of thousands of followers piled on, including Gay, Picoult, Jennifer Weiner, Jenny Han and Angie Thomas. Even Penguin Teen, an imprint of Penguin Books USA, shared Dessen’s complaint, encouraging people to respond to it.

At the heart of the anger is a persistent feeling that young adult literature, and particularly YA books aimed at teenage girls, is treated less seriously than other genres. Many of the upset authors interpreted Nelson’s dismissal of Dessen’s work as a commentary on all authors who write for teen girls.

But Nelson’s supporters say the Twitter outrage missed some key facts, including that the university book selections are chosen annually by a large volunteer committee of current students. In her junior year, Nelson was just one vote on that committee.

Also, Northern State University has selected young adult literature in past years as its required reading for freshmen, including Thomas’s “The Hate U Give” and the science fiction novel “Ready Player One.”

View attachment 1165234

Amid the enormous backlash, both Northern State University and the reporter who wrote the news story apologized to Dessen on Tuesday.

“I definitely didn’t mean to be cruel by including this quote,” reporter Katherine Grandstrand tweeted. “I am so sorry.”

In a lengthy Twitter thread, Northern State University distanced itself from Nelson, who graduated from the school in 2017.

“We are very sorry to @SarahDessen for the comments made in a news article by one of our alums in reference to our 2016 Common Read,” the school tweeted. “They do not reflect the views of the university or Common Read Committee.”

View attachment 1165236

Meanwhile, many outraged fans found the original Aberdeen News story and learned Nelson’s name, piling onto her social media accounts. She soon deactivated her Twitter and Facebook pages.

In the days after the online pile-on, which was first reported by the Argus Leader and Jezebel, a second wave of online backlash has begun — this time aimed at the powerful writers who sparked the controversy.

“Very strange to watch a host of female authors pile on to show love to Sarah Dessen after Dessen threw a public hissy fit b/c [Nelson] offered some tepid criticism of her work,” tweeted Hillary Kelly, who writes about books and television. She engaged in a back-and-forth with Weiner and others who defended Dessen, questioning why they used their platform to go after a young woman without the same kind of influence.

You are novelists,” she wrote. “Facing (valid) criticism is part of the job.”

Others chided the authors for teaming up against an obscure graduate student with no public profile.

“A MILLIONAIRE dunking on a COLLEGE GIRL for not liking her work is the person who should be issuing an apology,” tweeted writer Carrie Courogen.

Some of the authors who supported Dessen said they didn’t know the young woman’s name had been made public and denounced the harassment Nelson received.

“I thought she was anonymous,” Gay told The Post. “People shouldn’t be harassing her. That’s unacceptable.”

Becca Simon, who studied with Nelson at Northern State University and worked with her at the school’s tutoring center, said she was shocked by the backlash against her former classmate. She was also puzzled by the university’s apology.

“I was totally not expecting a slew of best-selling authors to rally around her to shut down a college-grad they knew nothing about,” Simon told The Post in a Twitter direct message. “A university is supposed to foster intellectual diversity, not force all of its students to share an opinion about one author’s book. I don’t feel it was their place to get involved. This would imply that Northern has to apologize every single time a celebrity criticizes one of their students/alums, which quite frankly is ... strange.”

Nelson, for her part, said she hopes the controversy draws more people to read books that will encourage them to think critically about pressing social issues.

“If anything comes out of this larger conversation,” Nelson told The Post, “I hope it is that others will make it a point to read books like [“Just Mercy”] that push them beyond their usual perspective and challenge their assumptions of society.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ta-college-student-ya-novel-backlash-twitter/

What a mess! And disappointed in Angie Thomas. Of all the hills to die on.

Critical Thinker
Reactions
130,157 906 900
Alleybux
What a mess! And disappointed in Angie Thomas. Of all the hills to die on.
Angie Thomas is a mess herself who lives for drama along with the other Black YA authors who added their name to bullshit. This girl was trying to push diversity YET, you decided to coddle a white author's feelings, who is already making millions.

upload_2019-11-15_10-25-51.png

Did you see Roxanne Gay's quote, you have a PhD. but your ass don't understand how Google works. You didn't realize that you can copy and past the quote and the article appear. Like just say you were wrong for jumping into shit you knew nothing about. I am tired of bullying people for having a different opinion. I am also tired of pseudo-psychological and sociological babble with no logic behind it. I understand that all folks are problematic and to error is human, but these folks won't even own up to being WRONG.

Reactions
47,342 623 222
Alleybux
Angie Thomas is a mess herself who lives for drama along with the other Black YA authors who added their name to bullshit. This girl was trying to push diversity YET, you decided to coddle a white author's feelings, who is already making millions.

View attachment 1165263

Did you see Roxanne Gay's quote, you have a PhD. but your ass don't understand how Google works. You didn't realize that you can copy and past the quote and the article appear. Like just say you were wrong for jumping into shit you knew nothing about. I am tired of bullying people for having a different opinion. I am also tired of pseudo-psychological and sociological babble with no logic behind it. I understand that all folks are problematic and to error is human, but these folks won't even own up to being WRONG.

Angie has showed her ass multiple times on Twitter. I cant atand her either.

This is news to me. I know Roxane had issues but Angie too? Mess.

Reactions
10,103 33 1
Alleybux
These grown up authors are worse than Taylor Swift fans. Who, in their defense, are usually tweens... Appalling. I hope these oversensitive, adult bullies take a hit in their bottom line for this.

Reactions
81,692 1,240 240
Alleybux
I see I gotta stop fucking with three of my go to authors now. You have to be able to take criticism when you're in any type of entertainment. It's just part of the game.

Reactions
47,342 623 222
Alleybux
These grown up authors are worse than Taylor Swift fans. Who, in their defense, are usually tweens... Appalling. I hope these oversensitive, adult bullies take a hit in their bottom line for this.

Somehow it always goes back to her for being the poster child for whiny white women lmao.

Some of these grown ass authors are actually Taylor Swift fans too

Not surprised they're fans of her faux feminism.

Queen
Reactions
97,284 1,266 1,028
Alleybux
I just came in here to say that:

A. Being criticized is a part of life and should be expected if you want to grow.

B. I will never, ever support any black woman who throws herself down to support other groups who, by and large, don’t support us.

Any BW who jumps in to a discussion to defend a WW because said WW’s work was lightly criticized is dead to me.

Reactions
155,993 4,174 2,075
Alleybux
And why is Amanda trying to still defend Sarah? Girl, your book just released at the end of last month. Focus on selling copies! Because you were doing a terrible job promoting it and were hoping black women would buy it just because you're black.

Another tweet from this debut black author

Celebrity News

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Brandon Blackwood May 10th Big Bag Drop
Wow these are gorgeous! Will narrow down and purchase one. We should post our picks in this thread! ❤️
Preacher Heather Love
Yall, there’s a Fraggle Rock exhibit in Atlanta and I started laughing because it reminded me of when one of y’all called Ayanna a “Fraggle Rock...
Atlanta Tea 2.0: 2021 Edition
I didnt even know Tori was still messing with her baby daddy didnt she air him out recently? Girl Tori knows what she signed up for. He's been...
Am I Wrong For Laughing At My Cousin's Weight Gain And School Problems?
I didnt understand your amusement until you told me what she used to do to you. Oh well. The jokes write themselves :ROFLMAO:
Different Phenotypes In Africa Diaspora
This is a bit pseudo, but to all peoples reading this, to know if a southern nigeria is naturally lightskin, bleached, or mixed race, examine the...
John Hopkins is out here experimenting on black patients again...
Not surprised at all And SNL (and others) have the nerve to make fun of Black American suspicion of the COVID vaccination push :eyeroll Is...
Why are women not sympathetic to REAL trans women's plight
OK, show me the facts the scientific FACTS that someone is gay, other than the fact they themselves claim to be. I won't hold my breath. Why...
Megan & Harry keep this woman pressed 24/7
I’m not giving them an views, those people can dish it but can’t take it. Just like that murky Meg person who was talking about Archie but when...
Top Bottom