Quantcast

Yet another “Slavery” show: “Underground Railroad” on Amazon Prime

Gumii

i love my computer, it has all my friends in it
Reaction score
Reactions
24,042 631 328
Alleybux
The slavery struggle trauma crew must be recruiting and recommending writers to Amazon cause...:sleeping:

Reaction score
Reactions
2,099 60 18
Alleybux
i'll be honest, i don't mind seeing black struggle films produced/directed by black people and without focusing on white saviors or good white people (TM). Those seem few and far between. But I definitely have to be in a certain headspace to watch them. These films wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't feel like the primary vehicle for black stories. Damn.

And we are 100% starved for historical non-slavery black content or black fantasy/sci-fi content! The most recent major movie i remember is Fast Color, which was okay.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,904 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
The name is way to similar to the other production called Underground with that Smollett woman.

And I will google it but I can guarantee the main characters in this will not be African American. They will probably be foreigners.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,904 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
Also, I get why people are fascinated with the underground railroad because it is a compelling piece of history. But 99.9% of black slaves were not freed by it. Most people would have never even heard of it. Most people were enslaved until the civil war and some people were in quasi-enslavement after the civil war. I think everyone has this fantasy that if they were a slave they would have joined the underground railroad and went to freedom.

BaldheadedStepchild

Condi's golden child. She/her♡
Reaction score
Reactions
215,744 11,481 1,283
Alleybux
I thought this was about the show Underground with Smollet and them that was on WGN and the network owners kicked it off the air . That show was more of a learning experience. I learned a lot of sh!t that the history books would never tell you, ans you'd have to go to page 15 on Google to learn about it

Well at least Tyler perry didn't produce this one

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,075 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
I thought this was the Underground show with Smollett too, lol. it's way too soon after that show and then the 2 different Harriet Tubman movies.

Why hasn't anyone made a movie about Mae Jemison yet?

Magnolia45

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,608 1,771 1,362
Alleybux
I wonder whether those commenters are ADOS? I don't get why they want to see positive films about Africans, and not African-Americans. The latter is what's missing for AAs.

Malware

i Love Me
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
33,460 12,105 4,819
Alleybux
My main issue with slave movies/shows is that they tell this part of our history in such a way that helps perpetuate victim complexes and low self esteems among many of us. This is done intentionally.

That's why they mainly always tell the side of our story that for the most part, does nothing more than portray us as being helpless docile victims of yts.

There are countless stories of us fighting back in an organized and successful manner.

In haiti, in jamaica, in brazil, in mexico, in america, and beyond.

But they won't drill that narrative of us being fighters in our heads because they want to keep socially engineering as much of us as they can to stay having low self esteem issues, so they drill our minds with media that helps give many of us inferiority/victim complexes.

They could do the Jewish holocaust narrative like they do our slavery narrative, but they don't, and it's done on purpose.

The majority time they show holocaust movies, they don't constantly drill your heads with the countless stories of the jews that were nothing more than helpless docile food for the nazis, or the many stories of the jews that willing collaborated with the nazis.

They mainly always maintain a narrative of them successfully fighting back in some capacity. This is intentional social engineering.

They define our stories by our victims, they define their stories by their fighters.
This is a clever and extremely powerful social engineering war tactic.

This is why it's important that we get and maintain media freedom/independence from these others who view us as their competitors. Yts and other non blacks have a vested interest in trying to keep us living in this world in the most uncompetitive state we can exist in. So keeping our self esteems low is EXTREMELY important to them.

Last edited:

bluelark

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,399 3,767 718
Alleybux
I wonder whether those commenters are ADOS? I don't get why they want to see positive films about Africans, and not African-Americans. The latter is what's missing for AAs.

I think these people are referring to the history of Black people pre-slavery at which point we were all “African”.

Cherryboy

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,808 391 509
Alleybux
Mansa Musa - Pilgrim to Mecca
Mali Empire
Timbuktu
Great Zimbabwe
Haitian Revolution

These could be great blockbuster epics - could you just picture it?

Magical Unicorn

Rihanna's Marshmallow
Reaction score
Reactions
67,069 1,837 896
Alleybux
I mean I love Barry Jenkins but I agree. Even looking at the Oscars the other day, all the black films nominated were about the struggle. All the black stars were used for virtue signaling. That's why I loved Moonlight because it was just a beautiful movie, period.
I really want to see black creators have opportunities to make films about being REGULAR and living life. Not trauma pδrn.

Would have loved to see Chadwick play that black samurai :cry::cry:

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,904 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
My main issue with slave movies/shows is that they tell this part of our history in such a way that helps perpetuate victim complexes and low self esteems among many of us. This is done intentionally.

That's why they mainly always tell the side of our story that for the most part, does nothing more than portray us as being helpless docile victims of yts.

There are countless stories of us fighting back in an organized and successful manner.

In haiti, in jamaica, in brazil, in mexico, in america, and beyond.

But they won't drill that narrative of us being fighters in our heads because they want to keep socially engineering as much of us as they can to stay having low self esteem issues, so they drill our minds with media that helps give many of us inferiority/victim complexes.

They could do the Jewish holocaust narrative like they do our slavery narrative, but they don't, and it's done on purpose.

The majority time they show holocaust movies, they don't constantly drill your heads with the countless stories of the jews that were nothing more than helpless docile food for the nazis, or the many stories of the jews that willing collaborated with the nazis.

They mainly always maintain a narrative of them successfully fighting back in some capacity. This is intentional social engineering.

They define our stories by our victims, they define their stories by their fighters.

This is why it's important that we get and maintain media freedom/independence from these others who view us as their competitors. Yts and other non blacks have a vested interest in trying to keep us living in this world in the most uncompetitive state we can exist in. So keeping our self esteems low is EXTREMELY important to them.

So true. I have never seen a story about the US colored troops done right. I mean if you actually look at the records tons of young black men in the south joined the US army to fight in the civil war. And yes they actually fought.

The only movie about the USCT was Glory and the main star of it was Matthew Broderick a white man. Yes Denzel was in the movie but the movie was really centered around the white man's experiences and portrayed the black troops as ignorant and lazy. When I was young I liked the movie but after learning more about Civil War history and actually reading through tons of records, I realize how disgusting that movie was and what a disservice it was.

The north would not have won the war if young men had not left those plantations and farms to sign up for the army. It left these white southerners vulnerable and without a labor force. The north was losing the war for most of the time before the USCT began amassing.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
640,904 19,022 12,528
Alleybux
Mali Empire
Timbuktu
Great Zimbabwe
Haitian Revolution

This is a good podcast on the Songhai empire. I've listened to it 3 times just because the stories are so interesting. There were a couple of stories in it that I thought wow that should be a movie. Lots of family and royal intrigue and power struggles like Game of Thrones or something.

oumoub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,519 986 348
Alleybux
Mali Empire
Timbuktu
Great Zimbabwe
Haitian Revolution

Yes! The Haitian Revolution would be an AMAZING film! We are never taught about it in school, it needs to be popularized.

Andre1984

moaning in potato raisin ecstasy
Reaction score
Reactions
340,885 37,808 8,927
Alleybux
Huh

This is not an historical series.

The series is based on a speculative fiction/alternate history novel like The Man in the High Castle.

Where the Underground Railroad is literally an actual railroad full of engineers and conductors, and a secret network of tracks, trains and tunnels.

And yes, I want to see it because I loved the book.

Cherryboy

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,808 391 509
Alleybux
This is a good podcast on the Songhai empire. I've listened to it 3 times just because the stories are so interesting. There were a couple of stories in it that I thought wow that should be a movie. Lots of family and royal intrigue and power struggles like Game of Thrones or something.

WOW! Thanks for this!

Messiah St West

Come judge for me
Reaction score
Reactions
64,038 1,886 1,103
Alleybux
I remember when this was announced..back in 2016 when Barry was riding Moonlight fame and had directed an episode of “Dear White People.”

What took them so long?

I’m tired of the slave stuff, but I like Barry. Idk if I’ll watch.

kandieheart007

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,297 481 46
Alleybux
Huh

The series is based on a speculative fiction/alternate history novel like The Man in the High Castle.

Where the Underground Railroad is literally an actual railroad full of engineers and conductors, and a secret network of tracks, trains and tunnels.

I checked out the audiobook from my local library, but had to return it before I had a chance to listen. I'll have to try again before this airs.

popamericana

POPAMERICANA
Reaction score
Reactions
14,031 210 87
Alleybux
i can tell that most of the people who commented on that thread did not do much research beyond seeing the tweet. this series is based on the fiction novel, the underground railroad by colson whitehead. i trust barry jenkins.

i don't see anything wrong with television and movies set during the period of slavery. what i do have an issue with is how poorly those histories tend to be represented.

Flybutter

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
37 1 2
Alleybux
Huh

What is the name of the book? I would like to read it.

biibliophile3

Prolifically passionate
Reaction score
Reactions
32,938 863 410
Alleybux

Wow, you're on to something here.

anijoissweet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,310 2,054 593
Alleybux
Ehh people complained the same about WGN Underground and that show was freaking ground breaking. I still think about it. I even thought this was a rip off of it. So i think I'll wait to see how it turns out to be. I do agree i want to see other narratives but i also am a history buff. I also feel they do need to at least give different perspectives like the slavery revolters etc. Not everyday the same suffering negro for trauma pδrn purposes. What i do want to see more of is romantic black films done well.

tokyodiva91

最高
Reaction score
Reactions
36,982 1,410 811
Alleybux
I’m excited to see this because Barry is a great director.

I listened to his interview on Fresh Air yesterday and he changed my mind about not wanting to see it. Lots of care and time was put into making this series.

Bad Streets

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,748 8,085 1,876
Alleybux
I added this to my Plex server for a relative.

I have no intention of watching, same with that Good Lord Bird show.

Oksana

#TeamMajor #MajorHive
Reaction score
Reactions
69,597 1,137 81
Alleybux
Is there a discussion thread for this show? I’m watching now

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,485 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
I'm two minutes in and I'm tired of seeing my people treated badly. I'm about to stop watching.
Although I believe it's important to make sure slavery is never forgotten in this country, this project is problematic because apparently, the actors aren't ADOS and also because there's an onslaught of these sad negro movies and it's exhausting. They need to stop pigeon-holing black movies. If it's not movies about cops and black people in the hood, it's about slavery....

KeiraNyongo

iSlay
Reaction score
Reactions
402,004 21,033 26,977
Alleybux
Issa no for me. I'm halfway through the first episode and I'm just not feeling it. Idk, I don't feel like looking at slavery this time around, I guess. Maybe it's me, but the accents are ATROCIOUS.

Chile...the leads aren't even ADOS right?

There are so many classically trained SOUTHERN ADOS actors like Teyonah Parris who would have bodied these roles because not only are these stories ingrained in her heritage, they are phenomenal actors. Imma pass on this one. Good luck to them.

AlexaBrin

Scheming to avenge Lucerys Velaryon
Reaction score
Reactions
223,650 3,454 1,650
Alleybux
Chile...the leads aren't even ADOS right?

There are so many classically trained SOUTHERN ADOS actors like Teyonah Parris who would have bodied these roles because not only are these stories ingrained in her heritage, they are phenomenal actors. Imma pass on this one. Good luck to them.

Nope and this is obvious. I like the lead - I've seen her in MTV Shuga and I thought she was good so I was expecting that to translate, but it's not. It's more of the same. That bugged-eyed "Oh LAWD" look and it's very disconcerting to me. Her accent in the beginning, I could barely understand her. I may live in the North, but my people are all down South. AL and GA. They, esp the ones 80+ don't sound like that.

Safelyup

God is Good
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
244,651 35,949 54,824
Alleybux
Nope and this is obvious. I like the lead - I've seen her in MTV Shuga and I thought she was good so I was expecting that to translate, but it's not. It's more of the same. That bugged-eyed "Oh LAWD" look and it's very disconcerting to me. Her accent in the beginning, I could barely understand her. I may live in the North, but my people are all down South. AL and GA. They, esp the ones 80+ don't sound like that.
she said she was speaking the broken english that they spoke during that time period. The way southern folks speak now is not the way they spoke back then.

AlexaBrin

Scheming to avenge Lucerys Velaryon
Reaction score
Reactions
223,650 3,454 1,650
Alleybux
she said she was speaking the broken english that they spoke during that time period. The way southern folks speak now is not the way they spoke back then.

Again, I have family members that are 80+ years old and live in the deep South. They speak "broken English" and do not sound like this actress. I'd imagine that groups of people that rarely leave their enclave - esp 80+ don't sound too different from that time.

Safelyup

God is Good
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
244,651 35,949 54,824
Alleybux

No he’s not gay

shame he is has a great presence and voice
E1WjszwWYAImgQB