Quantcast

Your experiences vacationing in New England states?

You

I'm not from Philadelphia, okay?
Reaction score
Reactions
101,033 3,066 626
Alleybux
I'm thinking that I might want to do a 1 month stay somewhere else before September because I'll still be working from home for the foreseeable future and I might as well take this opportunity to be in different places while I can, so I'm thinking booking an AirBNB to work from 'home' for a month or two would be nice

I've always wanted to visit the New England states and the idea of a "quaint" place near water sounds nice, so I'm wondering what your experiences in them has been.

Was there much to do already there (i.e. carnivals, Main Street shopping) or did you have to create your own fun (i.e. lots of reading, walking on the beach)? Are there any parts you think I should stay away from? And, of course, did you feel welcomed as a black person or were there any moments/spaces you felt uncomfortable?

For clarity, I'm talking about the traditional NE region of Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island :)

ZeeZeeblue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
350,321 16,543 14,650
Alleybux
I love New England! I've been to all the places you listed above. I've spent the most time in Vermont. It's my favorite state! I have always been there in the Fall. We stay in Burlington and do road trips from there. The people are really sweet in New England. Very welcoming and laid back. October 2019 we went to Maine for the first time to photograph Lighthouses. It was awesome!

If I liked cold weather I'd move to Vermont in a heartbeat!
I love it there.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,517 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
I love Maine. It's such a gorgeous state. The people are nice and helpful ... do I think BOSTON is nice ... nah. It's Boston ... you getting a more aggressive version of NYC.

FlashFm

Hottest radio station in Vice City
Reaction score
Reactions
27,803 2,690 3,455
Alleybux
I live New England. It is GORGEOUS up there. Maine and Massachusetts are my favorite

Ourania

Ascending
Reaction score
Reactions
37,740 697 361
Alleybux
Absolutely loved Maine, particularly Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. It was in Summer and beautiful. Definitely intend to go back.

Boston and Salem were A LOT of fun, especially Salem.

I've been to Mystic, Connecticut as well. Don't recommend.

Kaystar

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
437 9 8
Alleybux
I'm thinking that I might want to do a 1 month stay somewhere else before September because I'll still be working from home for the foreseeable future and I might as well take this opportunity to be in different places while I can, so I'm thinking booking an AirBNB to work from 'home' for a month or two would be nice

I've always wanted to visit the New England states and the idea of a "quaint" place near water sounds nice, so I'm wondering what your experiences in them has been.

Was there much to do already there (i.e. carnivals, Main Street shopping) or did you have to create your own fun (i.e. lots of reading, walking on the beach)? Are there any parts you think I should stay away from? And, of course, did you feel welcomed as a black person or were there any moments/spaces you felt uncomfortable?

For clarity, I'm talking about the traditional NE region of Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island :)
I live in RI. I suggest somewhere down near the water for “quaint”, like Narragansett or Wakefield. I prefer how things are on that side of the state as opposed to city living (like Providence).

HenryBemis

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,172 38 9
Alleybux
I loved it. Had my first real lobster roll and rhubarb pie in Maine. Learned what actual maple syrup tastes like in Vermont (don't judge, I'm southern). Rhode Island had a really cute zoo, if you're into non-nightlife nerd crap. Bought some tax-free scotch in New Hampshire. I unknowingly went to a low-SES part of Connecticut - didn't know that was a thing there and couldn't tell because of all the waterfront property - but I was comfortable and saw a cool lighthouse and carousel.

I saw this sh!t in Vermont and was tickled given that I saw zero other black people. This was 2015:
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 10.43.19 PM.png

noseyandpetty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,966 265 128
Alleybux

This is good to hear. I’m going to be spending almost three weeks in Salem in a few days. It’s not a vacation trip, but we’ll definitely be trying to do fun things in our downtime. What would you say was the most fun stuff to do?

Ourania

Ascending
Reaction score
Reactions
37,740 697 361
Alleybux
This is good to hear. I’m going to be spending almost three weeks in Salem in a few days. It’s not a vacation trip, but we’ll definitely be trying to do fun things in our downtime. What would you say was the most fun stuff to do?

The walking tour with Kenneth Glover (don't know if he's still doing them since COVID). I know a walking tour might sound boring but everyone had fun and the guy knows practically everything about Salem. He's a local Quaker but the witches seem to be quite fond of him. Super charming and engaging.

noseyandpetty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,966 265 128
Alleybux
The walking tour with Kenneth Glover (don't know if he's still doing them since COVID). I know a walking tour might sound boring but everyone had fun and the guy knows practically everything about Salem. He's a local Quaker but the witches seem to be quite fond of him. Super charming and engaging.

Cool, just checked his website out and he’s still doing the tour! Has a lot of dates open in May. He has a lot of reviews on other sites too, so I think we’ll do that one.

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
These were alot of our school trips. It's nice to see them packaged as vacations.

I love new England and the food is awesome. Especially the seafood

teecoilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,453 1,334 664
Alleybux
I’ve spent time in Portland Maine and I loved it! I’m a foodie so I really loved that there was a good selection of farm to table restaurants in the core of the city. And it’s walkable. You’re on the water. And portland at least was more diverse than I would have thought.

ynwnan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,724 31 8
Alleybux
Absolutely loved Maine, particularly Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. It was in Summer and beautiful. Definitely intend to go back.

I've been to Mystic, Connecticut as well. Don't recommend.

Yes!! What did you do in Boston? (Anyone can answer this)

Has anyone been to Cambridge, MA?