Youtube/Social Media Support Group

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,537 3,713 1,083
Alleybux
Hi guys!!!

So I've been unable to start a group. I don't know why, so I've decided to just do a thread here in the Alley CEO and try to get it stickied.

My goal for this is to form a community where we share information to help each other grow our pages and to support one another.

I am looking to first start with making a lifestyle Instagram page that follows my journey with my second degree and getting a job in that field while blogging from time to time. Then I want to grow to youtube.

So everyone introduce yourself, what are your goals, and let's get to sharing.

Last edited:

glicampsen

Commit yourself & give everything you got.
Reaction score
Reactions
39,929 612 193
Alleybux
I want to start a YouTube channel and Instagram page following my journey as a stem major and what I do as a student.

TheUltimateRush

Electric Relaxation
Reaction score
Reactions
34,158 600 83
Alleybux
I'm still trying to figure out what type of content I want to make. So for now I want to learn more about developing skills: video editing skills, writing skills, digital marketing skills, etc.

loveoffolly

queen of the guttersnipes
Reaction score
Reactions
3,197 2
Alleybux
im hoping to make ASMR/meditation/poetry reading and mental health support videos : ) i dont have all the equipment i want but im hoping to just go for it and post some videos before the end of the month : )

Rumbi101

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
115 1
Alleybux
Following this! Want to start a fashion (history) youtube channel/tik tok page.

My goal is to consistently post one video a week. I haven't been keeping up with fashion history research and news so this will be part of my accountability.

glicampsen

Commit yourself & give everything you got.
Reaction score
Reactions
39,929 612 193
Alleybux
I want to start a YouTube channel and Instagram page following my journey as a stem major and what I do as a student.
I decided not to. I feel shy having camera on my face.

AstoldbyWind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,749 5,011 1,177
Alleybux
Change your content. They are a lot of non English speaking youtubers that never show their face.

Maybe just do a voiceover and show how you organize and plan your day as a stem major or something.

AstoldbyWind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,749 5,011 1,177
Alleybux
Following this! Want to start a fashion (history) youtube channel/tik tok page.

My goal is to consistently post one video a week. I haven't been keeping up with fashion history research and news so this will be part of my accountability.
I say have one day out the month where you consistently film and edit content. Do nothing else that day. Then you’ll have a bunch of videos to release every week or just incase you have a test to study for.

Rumbi101

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
115 1
Alleybux
I say have one day out the month where you consistently film and edit content. Do nothing else that day. Then you’ll have a bunch of videos to release every week or just incase you have a test to study for.

You're so right! Was making it hard for myself to film and edit every week. Thank you! I'll keep to that plan and then film any extra trending news as extra pieces/IG vids to remain reactive with trends/audience. <3

Rumbi101

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
115 1
Alleybux
Video Podcast? You could always add a background image or film a city/still life scenescape for the audio and play? Sometimes I listen to podcasts/interviews on youtube and hardly pay attention to the visuals.

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,537 3,713 1,083
Alleybux

See, this is how I've been feeling too. I thought about doing one in this style

Just trying to think about just what I will be doing. My goal is to start in the New Year.

2bfamous

Ratchet and Techy
Reaction score
Reactions
49,544 3,186 1,740
Alleybux
I have a YT idea that I've been for whatever reason dragging to implement, probably because I want it to be perfect. I think I am going to push myself to record a draft tomorrow.

I also want to start an IG page to support my Esty seller's account that I recently started. My only problem is the whole posting multiple times a day everyday thing. It felt good getting my first sale today. I spent $25 dollars on Facebook ads, but I didn't really put as much effort into the ad as I should have. I set it up in 20 mins. I need to go back and actually learn, take some type of class for it.

SchizoBun

Tarot Readings at ALDivination.etsy.com
Reaction score
Reactions
81,341 1,503 156
Alleybux
*peeks in*

Soooo...how's it going with everyone?

I took a leap and started a YT channel doing tarot readings infused with a little bit of practical guidance and affirmation...I've been on for 10 days and have 16 subscribers. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I've been enjoying the journey because I actually like what I'm doing. I hope that one day I can get monetized, but it won't make or break me--so as long as I like the messages that I'm putting out, I'll continue doing it. I'm also flirting with the idea of going on TikTok, but we'll see how I feel at the end of the month.

Wishing you all much success :)

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,537 3,713 1,083
Alleybux
*peeks in*

I took a leap and started a YT channel doing tarot readings infused with a little bit of practical guidance and affirmation...I've been on for 10 days and have 16 subscribers. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I've been enjoying the journey because I actually like what I'm doing. I hope that one day I can get monetized, but it won't make or break me--so as long as I like the messages that I'm putting out, I'll continue doing it. I'm also flirting with the idea of going on TikTok, but we'll see how I feel at the end of the month.

I decided to start filming next week when school starts back.

WhereTheyDoThatAt

Kicking Flava in Your Ear
Reaction score
Reactions
19,676 258 32
Alleybux
I have a YT idea that I've been for whatever reason dragging to implement, probably because I want it to be perfect. I think I am going to push myself to record a draft tomorrow.

I also want to start an IG page to support my Esty seller's account that I recently started. My only problem is the whole posting multiple times a day everyday thing. It felt good getting my first sale today. I spent $25 dollars on Facebook ads, but I didn't really put as much effort into the ad as I should have. I set it up in 20 mins. I need to go back and actually learn, take some type of class for it.

When you start your IG business page pick one day out of the week for you to create your content. You can open up a free account on Planoly and schedule your posts in advance. That way you're not spending every day creating content.

Good luck.

LouisV

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,099 688 481
Alleybux
I just started making spiritual videos. I’m committing myself to only working part time so I can focus on myself and my business

mimi_babii1013

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,895 69 8
Alleybux
I just started a ig about my natural healing journey from lupus. Took me a while to start it because of self doubt and fear of vulnerability since my topic is so personal. Hoping it helps someone

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux
I just started a ig about my natural healing journey from lupus. Took me a while to start it because of self doubt and fear of vulnerability since my topic is so personal. Hoping it helps someone
Girl go ahead I was just like you because I didn’t know what to do, but now I’m okay since I started posting on ig!
I own a website www.massaizoubeauty54.com and it’s about promoting everything from afrika.
I’m using ig to get more traffic, so if you need to gain traffic ig it’s the best social media.

ArrowofTruth

Illustrious Illustrator
Reaction score
Reactions
9,362 108 30
Alleybux
I'm hoping to start my sewing channel next month. There aren't enough black youtubers making original clothes from scratch that don't follow fast fashion trends. Everyone's doing thrift flips but it doesn't teach actual skills.

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux
Video Podcast? You could always add a background image or film a city/still life scenescape for the audio and play? Sometimes I listen to podcasts/interviews on youtube and hardly pay attention to the visuals.
Do you know any prodocast who can help me to promote my brand?

vandering

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
*peeks in*

I checked and you're up to 70 subscribers, so that's great. You should be able to get to 1,000 in less than a year.

YouTube monetization is the worst way to monetize a channel. You're likely going to end up with a RPM of $3-5.

You want to set yourself up for the ability to sell info-products or services. For example a $47 course on how to give yourself a tarot reading. Or a personal 30-minute tarot reading over Zoom for $100.

Set yourself up for that by getting a website so that you can capture e-mail addresses. You want to have ownership over your brand, and you don't have that if you solely rely on social media accounts.

You can mention your website in your CTA at the end of your videos and put links in your video descriptions.

Your audio was clipping in the Caner Love video I watched. Then in a more recent video, it seemed too quiet. Your audio needs to be on point or it will hurt your watch time.

I assume you're trying to work on it. My advice would be to get Audacity and process your audio through that. It is free open-source software with lots of tutorials available.

www.audacityteam.org

Instead of trying TikTok, turn your videos into podcasts and syndicate through all of the podcasting platforms. There's no reason you shouldn't also be on iTunes and Spotify.

Girl go ahead I was just like you because I didn’t know what to do, but now I’m okay since I started posting on ig!
I own a website www.massaizoubeauty54.com and it’s about promoting everything from afrika.
I’m using ig to get more traffic, so if you need to gain traffic ig it’s the best social media.

Your site looks good, but you need to enable SSL if you ever want to get meaningful traffic from Google. You can do this for free through Let's Encrypt.

There should be tutorials showing you how to set it through your hosting provider. Just search "Hosting Company Let's Encrypt."

I'm hoping to start my sewing channel next month. There aren't enough black youtubers making original clothes from scratch that don't follow fast fashion trends. Everyone's doing thrift flips but it doesn't teach actual skills.

That sounds like a great idea. You'll have lots of opportunities for affiliate marketing as well as the ability to sell patterns/project kits.

ArrowofTruth

Illustrious Illustrator
Reaction score
Reactions
9,362 108 30
Alleybux
I checked and you're up to 70 subscribers, so that's great. You should be able to get to 1,000 in less than a year.

YouTube monetization is the worst way to monetize a channel. You're likely going to end up with a RPM of $3-5.

You want to set yourself up for the ability to sell info-products or services. For example a $47 course on how to give yourself a tarot reading. Or a personal 30-minute tarot reading over Zoom for $100.

Set yourself up for that by getting a website so that you can capture e-mail addresses. You want to have ownership over your brand, and you don't have that if you solely rely on social media accounts.

You can mention your website in your CTA at the end of your videos and put links in your video descriptions.

Your audio was clipping in the Caner Love video I watched. Then in a more recent video, it seemed too quiet. Your audio needs to be on point or it will hurt your watch time.

I assume you're trying to work on it. My advice would be to get Audacity and process your audio through that. It is free open-source software with lots of tutorials available.

www.audacityteam.org

Instead of trying TikTok, turn your videos into podcasts and syndicate through all of the podcasting platforms. There's no reason you shouldn't also be on iTunes and Spotify.

Your site looks good, but you need to enable SSL if you ever want to get meaningful traffic from Google. You can do this for free through Let's Encrypt.

There should be tutorials showing you how to set it through your hosting provider. Just search "Hosting Company Let's Encrypt."

That sounds like a great idea. You'll have lots of opportunities for affiliate marketing as well as the ability to sell patterns/project kits.

Is it bad idk what affiliate marketing is? Lol a youtube I follow that's growing has been selling patterns but her designs have been getting stolen and resold. I want to sell made to wear clothes. "Slow fashion", sustainable etc. Timeless pieces. Price would be higher of course but they are getting well made pieces. :glassescool

vandering

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Is it bad idk what affiliate marketing is? Lol a youtube I follow that's growing has been selling patterns but her designs have been getting stolen and resold. I want to sell made to wear clothes. "Slow fashion", sustainable etc. Timeless pieces. Price would be higher of course but they are getting well made pieces. :glassescool

Affiliate marketing is referring traffic to stores for a cut of the sale. The most well-known one is Amazon Associates. There are plenty of other ones.

You'll often see this with "life-style" channels linking the camera gear they use in their video descriptions. People that do makeup tutorials will link to the makeup they used in the video.

So for a project, you could put links in your video description of the sewing machine you used, attachments, fabric, scissors, rotary cutter, thread, etc.

The main problem with selling clothing is that it isn't easy to scale, you have to do work to get paid, and you'll cap your earnings.

With a moderate amount of success, you will either have to reduce your video production to make more clothing, or make more videos and reduce the clothing that you can make.

You've only got so much time in a day, and you should use it to make the best long term financial decisions. That means building a brand and a business, not doing labor.

Instead of wanting to make individual garments to sell, aim for building a personal brand that you could leverage into a deal to have your designs licensed and produced.

In order to make that a possibility, you need to set things up from the start. Nothing has to be perfect. It is a situation where done is far more important than "perfect."

As for someone getting their patterns ripped off, they're likely still making money off of selling them. There are also ways to issue DMCA takedown notices to have their listings removed from marketplaces and search engine listings.

If you sell one $5 pattern a week, at the end of a year, that's $210 in a year. Two a week is $420.

As you get more popular, sales will scale, and you will also likely have more patterns to sell. Moving from 1,000 subscribers to 10,000 subscribers should get you close to 10x the sales.

SchizoBun

Tarot Readings at ALDivination.etsy.com
Reaction score
Reactions
81,341 1,503 156
Alleybux

www.audacityteam.org

It was super sweet of you to take the time to give this feedback. Thank you!

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux

www.audacityteam.org

Thanks but when I go to my hosting account it said that it already activated!

ArrowofTruth

Illustrious Illustrator
Reaction score
Reactions
9,362 108 30
Alleybux
Affiliate marketing is referring traffic to stores for a cut of the sale. The most well-known one is Amazon Associates. There are plenty of other ones.

You'll often see this with "life-style" channels linking the camera gear they use in their video descriptions. People that do makeup tutorials will link to the makeup they used in the video.

So for a project, you could put links in your video description of the sewing machine you used, attachments, fabric, scissors, rotary cutter, thread, etc.

The main problem with selling clothing is that it isn't easy to scale, you have to do work to get paid, and you'll cap your earnings.

With a moderate amount of success, you will either have to reduce your video production to make more clothing, or make more videos and reduce the clothing that you can make.

You've only got so much time in a day, and you should use it to make the best long term financial decisions. That means building a brand and a business, not doing labor.

Instead of wanting to make individual garments to sell, aim for building a personal brand that you could leverage into a deal to have your designs licensed and produced.

In order to make that a possibility, you need to set things up from the start. Nothing has to be perfect. It is a situation where done is far more important than "perfect."

As for someone getting their patterns ripped off, they're likely still making money off of selling them. There are also ways to issue DMCA takedown notices to have their listings removed from marketplaces and search engine listings.

If you sell one $5 pattern a week, at the end of a year, that's $210 in a year. Two a week is $420.

As you get more popular, sales will scale, and you will also likely have more patterns to sell. Moving from 1,000 subscribers to 10,000 subscribers should get you close to 10x the sales.

Ooh okay that makes sense. Thanks! I actually enjoy the process of sewing so I don't mind the labor of it. As far as scaling, I would love to hire other women, primarily black and other women of color, to be able to produce more clothing. I don't want to send work to factories just to keep up with demand. I see it as if it's worth the wait, people will wait. I know I just have to be careful about hiring before there's a demand.

It's probably far fetched but I think it would be amazing to be the first Black Couture house. :love:. It's been so white up until Elie Saab and Guo Pei been inducted.

vandering

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Thanks but when I go to my hosting account it said that it already activated!

This is what I see:

Bo32Jzp.png

dw9MxKy.png

Checking your page source, you're serving images from an unsecured subdomain:

Code:
http://boutique.massaizoubeauty54.com and icons from http://www.w3.org

Setting the SSL as a wildcard should take care of the subdomain. You'll likely need to force the boutique subdomain to https, a redirect, or change a setting.

The icons are the accepted payment options in the footer. (Visa, PayPal, etc)

It was super sweet of you to take the time to give this feedback. Thank you!

You're welcome! It's tough starting out, but it looks like you've got consistency in uploading down. That's the part most people struggle with.

Ooh okay that makes sense. Thanks! I actually enjoy the process of sewing so I don't mind the labor of it. As far as scaling, I would love to hire other women, primarily black and other women of color, to be able to produce more clothing. I don't want to send work to factories just to keep up with demand. I see it as if it's worth the wait, people will wait. I know I just have to be careful about hiring before there's a demand.

It's probably far fetched but I think it would be amazing to be the first Black Couture house. :love:. It's been so white up until Elie Saab and Guo Pei been inducted.

The problem with labor is that you've got a finite amount of it. You should use it to make the most money possible as that will allow you to achieve your other goals.

Hiring means having a place for people to work, insurance, utilities, equipment, etc. That requires lots of money.

Making videos and having an online presence requires much less capital and has less risk.

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux
This is what I see:

Bo32Jzp.png

dw9MxKy.png

Code:

Setting the SSL as a wildcard should take care of the subdomain. You'll likely need to force the boutique subdomain to https, a redirect, or change a setting.

You're welcome! It's tough starting out, but it looks like you've got consistency in uploading down. That's the part most people struggle with.

The problem with labor is that you've got a finite amount of it. You should use it to make the most money possible as that will allow you to achieve your other goals.

Hiring means having a place for people to work, insurance, utilities, equipment, etc. That requires lots of money.

Making videos and having an online presence requires much less capital and has less risk.
Thanks girl!

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux
This is what I see:

Bo32Jzp.png

dw9MxKy.png

Code:

Girl can you try to access again to see if the problem it’s fixed? Because when I access myself it says it secured.
And apparently I have any mixed content and I’m unable to find the exact links.
My hosting team can’t help either.

vandering

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I checked again and your site is now showing up as secure. Looking at the page source code, it also looks like images are no longer being served from a subdomain. Whatever you changed looks like it worked!

madibabiko

HotepFeedMeMETH
Reaction score
Reactions
11,505 507 1,601
Alleybux
I checked again and your site is now showing up as secure. Looking at the page source code, it also looks like images are no longer being served from a subdomain. Whatever you changed looks like it worked!
Thanks very much !

TiaJ88

Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
119,896 1,940 1,313
Alleybux
So how is everyone doing with their YouTube channels? Are you finding that it’s hard to get subscribers? Easy?

celinebean

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,238 750 706
Alleybux
Coming in here to report that YouTube shorts are an excellent way to gain more subscribers. While reels are not working for my Instagram at all, I keep gaining new viewers on YouTube uploading shorts.

GlamChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,370 709 794
Alleybux
Take those same videos that you have on Youtube and put them on FB. Get a FB page not a group so you can get paid.

Coming in here to report that YouTube shorts are an excellent way to gain more subscribers. While reels are not working for my Instagram at all, I keep gaining new viewers on YouTube uploading shorts.

celinebean

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,238 750 706
Alleybux
Take those same videos that you have on Youtube and put them on FB. Get a FB page not a group so you can get paid.
Would you say Facebook is still worth having? I deleted it years ago but would be up for creating a new one. Instagram has not been working for me.

lurk addict

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,851 96 55
Alleybux
i love this idea other than the fact that your shorts will come up on your main upload feed