Quantcast

Zlatan Ibrahimovic tells Lebron James to shut up & dribble

oldirtyump

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,724 2,798 1,674
Alleybux
Nobody tells Bill Gates to stay out of politics.

Everyone should be politically and socially conscientious because they are part and parcel of society.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,817 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
They are Americans so they have a right to say what they want about politics. But, as to how much weight their statements should be given is another issue. I don't place any amount of importance on what celebrities, rappers and athletes have to say about politics.

JankyLove

A.K.A. Thay Thomethin!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
18,136 3,585 3,991
Alleybux
This...

is a foolish question.

As long as it isn't just lip service, they should feel free to not only express their personal opinion but to use their celebrity/notoriety/fame for that purpose.

We as black people are so used to not being seen & not being heard & just being thankful...it's the PTSD from slavery/Jim Crow/systemic racism.

Do you know how many ignorant black people are out there? Not as an insult, but as in unaware of the facts of basic things? Do you know how many black people out there are LAZY & don't do their own research...just goes along with what the masses or the media says?

Now add to that willful ignorance & denial & that's white people.

Every time someone tells them to "do they job & shut up", three more should rise up & speak louder!

And keep winning.

my1230

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,463 447 335
Alleybux
They probably wouldn’t have been so vocal if the politicians stayed out of sports...

There has never been such an outcry by athletes to this extent until Trump fueled controversy with his faux outrage over Kaepernick and police injustices.

Yankeeology

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,294 8,713 7,765
Alleybux
Then don't listen?

All Jazz fans are asking from Donovan is rings.....they didn't get rings from Malone, Stockton and Deron Williams.....

Salt Lake City wants a parade.....

front.jpg

caprica01

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,082 2,478 1,462
Alleybux
Its complex because the NBA players and the NBA itself wilfully ignore social justice when it comes to personal shoe deals , sponsorship and viewers by its cosying up to China, and ignoring the elephant in the room- slave labour, a million Uighurs in concentration camps, Hong Kong etc.

When it effects Lebrons or the NBAs bottom line - crickets.
He and the NBA should have the clout to make Nike shoes in the USA, but dont do so- why profit.

Slatan is a Muslim whose parents fled to Sweden to escape genocide. Uihgurs are Muslims under going forced political re-education inside China.

LSA see this as an issue of social justice inside the USA, but by the NBA calling it out and marketing it ( as we are on the right side of history, give ourselves a pat on the back) - it invites criticism for hypocrisy.

Personally i don't think you can advocate for social justice if your voice or money actively comes off revenue from shoes, clothing made by slave labour or political prisoners making them in concentration camps.
Have any of these NBA players seen the factories where the shoes are made, doubtful?

Would i take the money? Of course, but i wouldn't be blasé enough to lecture others. .
Thats why Lebron kicked off and felt the need to list his achievements (which are admirable). Slatan pricked his conscience. But Zlatan also lines his pockets with sports wear made in China and is a philanthropist .

However, the fact remains they are all funded by revenue derived from slave or forced labour .
100 years from now will people tear down NBA players statues as complicit in slavery of chinese, tibetan people ? That would be ironic as some of these statues being torn down made philanthropic gestures to universities. History has a way of repeating itself.

Last edited:

Dilla Deaf

A Drunk Deaf Uncle bumpin OutKast on Speakers
Reaction score
Reactions
10,403 78 32
Alleybux
at it's very definition, politics at it's most basic is human interaction to each other to discuss how they think human should govern themselves.

It doesn't matter if you famous or not. I hate the oh if that is a "famous" actor/sports/etc they shouldn't be in. That's an copout. Everybody has a voice.

Go-Go Girlie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
59,878 1,453 983
Alleybux
image_2021-02-27_142551.png

getty-images-1067867096.jpg

Soccer king Zlatan slammed LeBron and other athletes for speaking about politics.....

Karl Malone never discussed politics. Michael Jordan never discussed politics. Larry Bird never did. Neither did Alex Rodriguez, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Wayne Gretkzy and other sports titans.......

Some sportsstars do....Ali, Bill Russell, etc.

Should they focus on winning trophies instead of talking politics?
You mean shut up and dribble?

rhjunkie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,115 865 625
Alleybux
The idea that only voices from the inside should speak and have a platform is the antithesis of what a democracy should look like. Democracy is about citizens electing officials to represent their best interests, therefore, a democracy rests upon everyone being political. James was an American citizen long before he was an NBA star so why shouldn't he have an opinion? Why shouldn't he use his platform the same way that people like Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson use theirs? But instead of spreading messages of fear, hate, conspiracy and white supremacist ideology, he's trying to use his voice to uplift his black community. If you want to go back to the good ol times where the James' and Swifts' of the world kept to their artistry, then perhaps society as a whole should collectively agree not to vote and give political power to people who outwardly fight for white supremacy and the good old days (which for people of minority, especially black people, meant less opportunities for equality).

DottieHinkle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
482,828 19,208 18,724
Alleybux
All Jazz fans are asking from Donovan is rings.....they didn't get rings from Malone, Stockton and Deron Williams.....

Salt Lake City wants a parade.....

front.jpg

The Jazz are having an amazing season. Probably won’t extend to the playoffs or finals but hey. They, the fans, should take what they can get.

ExquisiteMelanin

Supporting Abused women regardless of race
Reaction score
Reactions
183,750 3,098 2,605
Alleybux
The answer is yes and I hope they keep talking up for Black people and minorities.

When you have power and a voice, you use it for more than entertaining. You use it to help change the world for the better.

These athletes are stronger when they do it collectively so I say keep speaking up. Its their duty to do so.. Also, thank GOD for the likes of someone like LEBRON JAMES. He clearly gives a damn about others and most importantly, black people:heart:

Paradise

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
31,663 748 1,247
Alleybux
Politics is not an arena that requires a particular talent. All members in society regardless of your occupation should be involved in issues that impact their lives. Every member of our society has the right to speak to their beliefs and bring attention to things that are important to them and their communities. Zlatan should take his own advise and stfu speaking on what another grown ass man should or shouldn't say. He sounds like a hypocritical ass. If everyone should stay in their lanes then Trump should have stayed out of politics and stuck to shady real estate and reality tv, Reagan should have stuck to acting, AOC should still be waiting tables, etc. The notion that people, especially people of color, should just shut up and be grateful for the monetary benefit their talents have given them is asinine. fµck Zlatan shucking and jiving ass!

Roy89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,089 8,353 20,210
Alleybux
Why would I care about an athlete’s opinion on politics? If I want opinions on politics I will listen to people who specialize in politics.

That goes for musicians and lol garbage hip hop “artists” as well

Yankeeology

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,294 8,713 7,765
Alleybux
The answer is yes and I hope they keep talking up for Black people and minorities.

When you have power and a voice, you use it for more than entertaining. You use it to help change the world for the better.

These athletes are stronger when they do it collectively so I say keep speaking up. Its their duty to do so.. Also, thank GOD for the likes of someone like LEBRON JAMES. He clearly gives a damn about others and most importantly, black people:heart:

So why do white athletes like Wayne Gretzky and Tom Glavine and Roger Clemens don't talk for poor white Americans....?

Although I think Gretzky is a Trump supporter, I believe....

Roy89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,089 8,353 20,210
Alleybux
So why do white athletes like Wayne Gretzky and Tom Glavine and Roger Clemens don't talk for poor white Americans....?

Because the mainstream media knows better than to make white athletes the political voice for white america. They realize how idiotic the notion is.

They only do that to black america

Yankeeology

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,294 8,713 7,765
Alleybux

So why don't white athletes like Wayne Gretzky and Tom Glavine and Roger Clemens talk for poor white Americans....?

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
I'm fine with athletes who are socially conscious, but I'm also fine with the ones who aren't. I think the choice to speak out about social and political issues is an individual choice.

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
They are Americans so they have a right to say what they want about politics. But, as to how much weight their statements should be given is another issue. I don't place any amount of importance on what celebrities, rappers and athletes have to say about politics.

Same here. I respect everyone's right to their political beliefs, but someone else's political beliefs will never influence mine.

ExquisiteMelanin

Reaction score
Reactions
183,750 3,098 2,605
Alleybux
So why don't white athletes like Wayne Gretzky and Tom Glavine and Roger Clemens talk for poor white Americans....?

I can't answer that. What I do know is, Black people have always had help from prominent BLACK athletes to help further black causes when it comes to police brutality, issues in the community, whyte supremacy and racism and its always been welcomed. Who is going to do it if not them with the resources and money that they are acquiring? After all, many of these black athletes come from the same kind of backgrounds and they witnessed on numerous occasions the injustices towards black people.

These black athletes are not only there to make money for whyte companies. They are an extension of these communities and an extension of the human family so they are just in Standing up for it.

I will say that more WHYTE athletes should join in the conversation with black athletes etc to not only heal the divide but also help to right so many wrongs and vice versa. And to be fair, some do but more are needed.:heart:

Last edited:

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
I can't answer that. What I do know is, Black people have always had t help from prominent athletes to help further black causes when it comes to police brutality, issues in the community, whyte supremacy and racism and its always been welcomed. After all, many of these black athletes come from the same kind of backgrounds and witnessed on numerous occasions the injustices towards black people.

These black athletes are not only there to make money for whyte companies. They are and extension of these communities and an extension of the human family so they are just in Standing up for it.

I will say that more WHYTE athletes should join in the conversation with black athletes etc to not only heal the divide but also help to right so many wrongs and vice versa. And to be fair, some do but more is needed.:heart:

The difference between athletes like Mohammad Ali and Jim Brown speaking out about social issues and LeBron James is black people were in a different place in the 1960s socially than we are today. Furthermore, Ali and Brown were two of the most visible black athletes in their sport during their primes. Fast forward to today, basketball is dominated by black players now. Granted, LeBron is the best in his sport and is the face of the NBA, but his presence and words don't carry the same weight with the black community as Ali and Brown's did in the 1960s. I think a lot of black people do appreciate LeBron speaking out against police brutality and racism, but they're not hanging on his every word nor does LeBron have the power to sway black people, in general, politically.

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
Karl Malone didn't discuss politics bc his ass was a Republican.

Karl Malone was the absolute worst. He abandoned his black kids.

That dude had 7 kids. He is not the poster boy to discuss anything bc his ass abandoned his black kids.

What does Karl Malone's political affiliation have to do with him not discussing politics? He may not have discussed them because he didn't feel like it was part of his job description. Michael Jordan didn't discuss politics because in addition to being a great athlete, he was also an astute businessman and didn't want to alienate anyone. Like he once said, Republicans buy sneakers too.

Sadly, lot of black athletes abandon their children. Go ask Dwight Howard how involved he is in the lives of his plethora of children. Julius Erving didn't claim his biracial daughter until she became an adult because she was the product of an affair.

ExquisiteMelanin

Reaction score
Reactions
183,750 3,098 2,605
Alleybux
This is why they should always keep speaking out and unite to confront the issues of humanity.

My Hats off to Lebron James and the rest who understand purpose and understands the history and business model of WHYTE companies using them to get rich off of at the same time, telling them to stay quiet.That is suppressing black peoples power to help push the black community forward along with helping others. If you are truly about Humanity, why would you tell black athletes to shut up and dribble ?:heart: Lebron is unapologetic about his blackness and the rest need to take his lead.

Last edited:

TheRealPeela

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,642 543 159
Alleybux
The days of being silent are over. When it's an issue involving blacks, I have no problem with them giving an opinion on it.

Like someone said above, politicians involved themselves in sports, calling for people to be fired if they bent the knee or said black lives matter, so the athletics in question have a right to answer.

ExquisiteMelanin

Reaction score
Reactions
183,750 3,098 2,605
Alleybux
The difference between athletes like Mohammad Ali and Jim Brown speaking out about social issues and LeBron James is black people were in a different place in the 1960s socially than we are today. Furthermore, Ali and Brown were two of the most visible black athletes in their sport during their primes. Fast forward to today, basketball is dominated by black players now. Granted, LeBron is the best in his sport and is the face of the NBA, but his presence and words don't carry the same weight with the black community as Ali and Brown's did in the 1960s. I think a lot of black people do appreciate LeBron speaking out against police brutality and racism, but they're not hanging on his every word nor does LeBron have the power to sway black people, in general, politically.

Strength in numbers. Lebron is powerful.:heart: The only thing that is different from the 60s is that whyte supremacy just got smoother. So should black people fighting against it. I hope Lebron keeps waking up these athletes to see the bigger picture. Of course they are trying to stop Lebron but Im starting see some other athletes understanding the purpose.. Do they highlight this? Of course not.

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
at it's very definition, politics at it's most basic is human interaction to each other to discuss how they think human should govern themselves.

It doesn't matter if you famous or not. I hate the oh if that is a "famous" actor/sports/etc they shouldn't be in. That's an copout. Everybody has a voice.

I agree. But on the same token, I hate when people say, "Why isn't <insert celebrity> speaking out?" Celebrities are not politicians. Some of them just want to entertain the public and go home. They shouldn't be criticized for that.

I think black celebrities feel a lot more pressure to speak out about social and political issues than whites ones. If black celebrities don't speak out against issues that affect the black community, they're accused of prioritizing money over community.